Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pics: 1974 Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Hood, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Awesome thread, thank you for sharing those! And to the other contributors. Love seeing more of Gene Sonnen’s roadster.

2. Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  3. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Last time I saw the Hennway was at a Rod Run we hosted in Nashville Tn about 6/7 years ago. I also remember seeing the BLUE FLAME 32 at the NATS in Memphis and unless there were two of them nearly painted the same way it belonged to Delbert (screw loose) Holland at one time. I lost track of him and Yvonne after they moved to TX. Great to see the car again, thanks to all for sharing.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Wow, so many 34's and T's. Where did they all go? I guess nowadays when I walk through the Minnesota State Fairgrounds at the BTTF's there are a lot more latemodels (up to 1964) to muck up the mix.

Keep the cool pics coming!

brad2v likes this.
  5. Is this Ed Lepold's La Salle?
    [​IMG]

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. brad2v

brad2v

[​IMG]

Check the yellow/orange headers on the bucket in the background. Cool

8. Where did all the T-Buckets go? HRP

9. Thanks for all the pics. I didn't make it in '74 but was there in '77. Great!!! event to say the least.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. White short shorts, white stroker caps and black marks on the street at Porkies !!!!

11. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Thank you for posting these great pictures. That's the year I graduated from high school. Good old days. Bob......................

12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I grew up in the Twin Cities, and my family had just joined the MSRA during this time. I recognize many of the local cars/people, as many of them were original charter members of the MSRA, and some of the more famous cars from the area at that time!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

[​IMG]
    This was the "Flocked" truck! I believe it is still around somewhere, and was the topic of a thread on here at one time.
    [​IMG]
    Ronnie & Mil White. One of the Original Founders of MSRA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Tall guy in the center is Gene Sonnen. He is another of the MSRA founders. That's his 40 coupe that he stll has! That is also his 32 roadster with his wife "Red" next to it. The 40 woody seen with these 2 in some of the photo's was Gene's too!
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure the guy in the middle is the imfamous "Tex" Smith!

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Another interesting observation is how little the fairgrounds has changed since then!

Roadsir likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is a pic I took of it at the same event[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. D 20170216_200022.jpg 20180108_183949.jpg 20180108_184031.jpg Didn't make it in 74, but drove my T-Bucket in 77. Got my divisional jacket the along with all the buttons !!!

17. dan31

dan31

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been a while since I checked in on this thread and read all the way through it. Snooped though that link and way up in the upper left corner is my 48 in it' fresh placer Gold paint. It was pretty good at photobombing in those days. It's first ever event as a participant. nat027.jpg

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Amazing how cragars and other mags were so popular back then.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  20. AHotRod

AHotRod

The '70's Street scene was AWESOME ! I had so much fun then, everybody was into Hot Rods and Street Machines..... and we drove them everywhere, all the time, rain, snow or shine. There was NO one telling anyone how to build there car or what was right or wrong.
    I was at St. Paul in '77 and '79 .... Man, those were the real days.

21. Not from NC but from NY. Drove it to my first Nats in Memphis from NY. Had other club guys with me then, the trip to St Paul was solo !!!!! I pulled a utility trailer for my luggage and tools my Dad made out of a pallet and a 60 Ford Falcon rear axle !!!

22. I had forgotten how many T-buckets there were back then, too. Wow, the things you forget! I wonder where all of those T-buckets are now?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  23. dan31

dan31

Coololdcars, that's awesome. A older friend of mine that helped me build my 31 has 198k on his 32" ford coupe. It's been driven to all of the lower 48 states. I figure if he could keep his car together for that many miles then he's the guy I want to learn from. Nowadays It's hard to get guys to drive two towns over to see a show.

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Dash plaque from 72 nats and 75 Rochester Street Machine show
    Just added to dash this year

Attached Files:

25. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

This is so awesome , I am new to the site my name is Jim deardeuff I live in ga. My uncle built the c cab back in 69 and 70 it was yellow first and then white panel painted. He took it to the nats . All we ever knew was he sold it to a guy in Michigan. I was looking at pics , looking to find it and here it is! My question is , is the car still around ? My uncle is still alive and we have been sharing these pics with him. Thank you for the picture

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Al's.C.D.T, dan31 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. 42merc

42merc

My ride in '74.[​IMG]

fordflambe, Roadsir, MO_JUNK and 8 others like this.
  27. Hi There
    I cannot tell you if the Cab is still around or not.
    John Moffett who had the Cab in 1974 has unfortunately passed away not to long ago. We stayed at his house in 74 and became real good friends over the years. In fact until Johns death he was one of a very few that had attended all of the Street Rod Nationals.
    I am still in contact with his lovely wife on a regular basis.
    Best of luck with the search.

moparjimd60 likes this.
  28. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

Thanks, I was able to track down johns son, and we messaged back and forth, he said they saw the car go thru an auction in Indiana 7 or8 years ago. He thought it went to Texas. Not much luck after that.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Orville still has the 40 although it has not been out in a while