Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tool Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeflynstl, Jan 9, 2018.

1. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

I'm sure this is probably a better question for the Garage Journal but I frequent this neighborhood so much more often and would hopefully get some better experts to weigh in. I need a new drill index. My current stock of old used drill bits has given all it can give. I like quality tools. I like to spend my money on American made. Can anyone give me a suggestion.

Champion
    Vermont American
    Norseman

Thanks in advance,

Andy from STL

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Stooge

Stooge

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Get cobalt instead of high speed steel as well.

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just opened this thread to take a closer look at your avatar pic... what was your question?

6. I know of Vermont, but not the others. I say as long as they don't come from Northern or Harbor Freight you should be good.

7. lowrd

lowrd

Fastenal carries several brands and may be near you. Their catalog is on line too.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20180109_180159 (2).jpg
    Got these from Fastenal
    Work great and last long time.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Andy, I too always bought U.S. made bits for years but I think some of the better quality imports are much better than they used to be.
    I came real close to responding then I checked your profile, I too was a machinist and toolroom operator for thirty years so I'm pretty sure you know how to sharpen drill bits.
    I hand sharpened a million bits before those drill doctors came out so never bought one but I gotta say since my eyes have gone to hell I sure have thought about getting one.
    Considering the cost of a full set of drills up to 1/2 inch have gotten quite spendy; I'm thinking a person could justify the cost of a small drill sharpener, just thinking out loud.

10. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

I seem to be able to break the expensive ones easier than the cheap ones!!!!!

11. impala4speed

impala4speed

I agree about the Drill Doctor. I've gotten a lot of use from mine. Works very well.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No kidding. I sharpened a 3/8'' bit the other day to the point I thought I'd need to go buy a new because there would be nothing left of it. Either I'd get the point off center then get it back only to discover I've changed the cutting angle then have to correct that. Then while putting the clearance on it I just did it again :mad:

13. banjorear

banjorear

Jesus. I did the same friggin' thing. I thought I was the only perv.....

Baumi likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Is there some drilling thought's going on?

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Worth their weight in gold.

[​IMG]

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Have one. Don't help much when you can't see.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm with ya!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to be able to sharpen a drill bit so it really cut but think I have lost my touch over the years. When I was teaching I'd use the stone used to square up valve stem tips on the Sioux valve grinder to dress drill bits.
    Just thinking about it while I have a few of the last set of Lawson bits I bought still in the index the last set I bought was in a silver box from Costco. Not sure if they have the now but those have done pretty well for home garage drilling.

19. cretin

cretin

I got the letter and number drills from Fastenal, and they have worked great. I got my fractional drills off the Mac truck because they are lifetime warranty.

20. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

This whole thing got started because I have a drawer in my toolbox devoted entirely to drill bits. It's a waste of space because half of the bits have been sharpened beyond their reasonable service life and who needs 18 different 1/2" drill bits all with varying degrees of damage and/or usefuleness. I have a friend who is a pretty young engineer type who is getting married and moving into his first house. He's tool poor and I thought I'd sort through my plethora of drill bits and put together a hodgepodge for him and get myself some new stuff. I need the space in my toolbox and he could use a drill index.

I appreciate all the input. I don't minding spending some money on decent tools. I had a junior high shop teacher (yes I went to a junior high school that still taught shop.) that always said "cheap tools will let you down when you need them the most". Truer words have never been spoken. RIP Mr. Akins.

Andy from STL

Johnny Gee likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That is great that you are helping someone out, but you should hold back a few of the common sizes in case you find yourself in a tight spot requiring a stub length drill bit.
    I also make flat bottom bits out of drills that are past their prime.
    I too have that same tool box drawer full of odds and ends, it has bailed me out many times.

22. I have a couple of Huot #0-#60 number drill boxes. One new, the other I got at a garage sale. I use mainly short drills like screw machine size. TiN coated if possible. I also have a couple of Huot fractional cases. Those are for longer jobber length drill bits.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I ran the toolroom we bought Huot half inch indexes by the case, I'm sure everyone had one in their toolbox at work and one at home.