Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best way to get into hot rodding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Straight30weight, Jan 8, 2018.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I kick my self every time I surf these car groups on facebook, but it seems like I've seen more cars like mine that I could have easily made a driving car for the same money that I bought my rust bucket for.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

texcmithbook.jpg

3. I've been around a long time (old cars since the '60s)
    but I remember a recommendation from an "old timer"
    back in the day: "Always buy the best car you can afford"
    It has never let me down. It kept me from getting in over my head,
    but still got me many cool cars!
    As a side benefit, I would ad if you buy a good car that already is running,
    you can find out more about liking it before you spend money
    turning it into what you want, and then finding out you don't like the way it drives.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a great looking A you posted as an example but if you prefer chopped cars being 6'4" sort of mandates that your seats are going to be near to if not right on the floor. The car may look cool as hell but really how much fun is it to drive a car where your sitting on the floor? Not trying to rain on your parade but its no fun building something that turns out to not be comfortable enough to drive. I've been down that road before. You might need to adjust your expectations a bit. If I were as tall as you I would be in the market for a 40 Ford coupe or ragtop. They scream hot rod when done correctly, have plenty of room for a tall guy, and with a ragtop you get the best of both worlds. Don't think it is hot rod enough, do a Willys coupe then. NOBODY will argue that it isn't hot rod enough! Even glass ones!

5. Hey Straight,
    BTW that's the same car in '07 and 2015!
    I'm 6-1, but my legs are on the long side.
    The '31 in the pictures could have been chopped
    maybe 4 inches and I would have still fit sitting lower,
    but my legs would't fit!
    A Tudor sedan is an easier fit 'cause the seat can be
    moved farther back.

6. One example from Google that I like s-l720-201-620x418.jpg

7. Tudors are harder for me to find an idea of what I want. Most are missing that “attitude” I want

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Poh likes this.
  8. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Read the HAMB everyday for a year. Buy something you really like, keep at it till it looks like you like it......stay away from RAT theme anything. Wish I found this site before I started mine. Some of the most competent hotrod builders are on this forum. Good luck.
    BTW find good shows in your area, good place to look for cars for sale.

48fordnut likes this.
  9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

^^^^^
    Read the hamb for year.. good advise.

Then find what YOU LIKE then pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Here is a wee bit of attitude for you , it’s even in the classifieds [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you are not allergic to fiberglass. There are some nice sedan bodies out there.
    Restored Model A's can be bought right and you eliminate the body and paint unless you want a chop.
    Your size is going to be a factor on your selection.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm going to go against the grain and say buy a 40's fat fender car. Cars in the 40's are much more roomy than the 30's models, and can be made to look as good or even better than the smaller 30's ones. All kinds of coupes and Tudors in the 40's that lend themselves well to the hot rod treatment. They are harder to chop with their more aerodynamic flowing lines, but it has been done. Most look good stock with just a rake.

13. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

figure out what you want and get that car not something else because you feel like you couldn't get what you want. Biggest mistake most people make is settling for a car they don't really want and learning it takes just as much money to build the wrong car then to build the right one.

14. redo32

redo32

How you are going to drive it will determine if the Model A will be suitable. Just going across town? You can be uncomfortable for 20 minuets. Want to see Speedway's museum, TROG or Colorado Hillclimb, A bigger car might be nice. A buddy has a couple of threads on here planning a trip this summer from Eugene to New York where he'll meet up with the Rollin' Bones and head back to Bonneville. A nice Model A and he admitted it has air, he's taller than me maybe 6' and a couple of years older, (I'm 68). Here's his thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...tays-on-epic-road-trip.1090977/#post-12367994

and his build album that give you some inspiration https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/my-rides.4551/

15. Don't do it! Hot Rodding will leave you old, heartbroken and poor, but man what a ride! :eek:

czuch likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too am 6'3". I will tell you, if you want to build something that is a keeper, do not heavily chop anything.
    You will not be happy after you've driven it a few years.

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When you do find the car/project that gets you emotionally involved before you pull the trigger,take another set of eyes with you to see the things in which you’re blind to.
    This could save you a lot of possible grief in the future.

18. indyjps

indyjps

Running and driving. Winter is a good time to buy. Buy it right - trade, resell every few years.

I cant follow my own advice and drag home piles of junk that sit in the garage.

Dont be like me.

czuch likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Since when does buying a finished car and changing the wheels make you a hot rodder? Sure as hell doesn't in my book.

Find a good body.
    Build a tube frame or buy some 32 rails and start there.
    Attach all the other bits as you have money of time.

48fordnut likes this.
  20. ...............Excellent advice! All too often emotions can over-ride rational thought. A second set of eyes, especially if they are more familiar with the particular model car you are looking at, is always a great idea.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could be wrong but I don't think anybody here is saying buy a finished car and call yourself a hot rodder, but a project car which is far enough along so that the hardest stuff is taken care of and he can then personalize it to his tastes. Even so if buying a complete car that he considers a hot rod makes him happy so be it. Not everyone is into having to build their own stuff and many may not even have the ability, space, or tools.. Thats what keeps the other hot rodders in business!

Tony Martino and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

My advice don't by the cheapest car If you find a $1000 car and a $5000 in most cases you will have more time and money in the $1000 car. Cars that take to long to build usally don't get done.

Tony Martino likes this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

I go for buying the body in most cases the drive train is easyer to fix than Rust.

24. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain and completely understand, brother, as I have done it myself. I have also found that you don't take that hit if you don't sell it. Mind games.................

25. Who knows? I mean it would probably become a daily of sorts, between that and the bikes. I intend for it to be the car I drive when I’m not on a motorcycle or have the whole family. Dinner with my wife, back and forth to work, off to the drag strip, etc. That’d be the intention.

HEMI32 likes this.
  26. I didn’t see anyone suggest that.

What was suggested was to buy a stock ride and go from there. Which I believe how the guy in 1950 would have done it? I don’t know cuz I wasn’t there, and I haven’t learned enough yet to say for sure. I’m not opposed to doing a full ground up build, not at all really. I’d just like to go about it the best way, for me.

27. Ok let’s talk comfort for minute. Yeah I’m tall, I’m a big guy. But, I gotta be honest, I like heavy chops. That’s just me. I think I’d be willing to sacrifice comfort for that, because if not I’m not going to be happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Poh and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Updated suggestion:
    Chopping for you seems to be
    THE major part of your Hot Rod needs!
    Buy a decent '30-'31 Ford coupe and do the chop
    you want before doing anything else, (Except wheels and tires!)
    Drive it around and see how you like it. If you do
    you are in, if not there is always somebody around who
    would buy a chopped car! Like me for example!

29. Find someone with a chopped car, tell them your plans see if they will let you sit in the car.

I really dislike chopped cars, I have ridden in a few I could not see I had to slump way down in the seat to see out of the windshield, I almost got car sick on a half mile ride.

I am 5' 10"

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.