Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1961 Dodge Dart truck questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skiroule69, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

Sold my '57 Buick and am looking at a replacement project. It's a '61 Dodge 'Dart' pickup. 1/2 ton long box. V-8/4-speed trans. I have a couple questions about it, since I've never had one of these.

First, the truck runs but the engine smokes. The seller isn't 100% on the engine displacement, but reading up on it I assume it's a polysphere V-8. Thinking about rebuild options and wondering if it'd just be simpler to replace it with an LA-series 318 or 360 for the time being and worry about the 'Poly' later on, if at all. I haven't found much for resources for these trucks online, but what I do seem to find indicates the bell housings between the Poly and the LA aren't the same. Can anyone confirm this? If they aren't, is there an adapter so I can mate the LA to the four-speed?

Second, does anyone know what size wheel bolt pattern this thing has? It's a five-lug setup. Looking ahead to wheel swap options. Thanks guys! -Marc.

2. R Pope

R Pope

I put a 360 in a truck like that and used the three-speed stick transmission. Bellhousing bolted up, but I had to get a flywheel balanced to the 360. That was 40 years ago, I don't remember what the flywheel was out of. I know it was a bit of a parts scramble to get it all together, but it is possible with all stock parts. I retained the original hydraulic clutch setup.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

4. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

Ha! I thought the same thing! Apparently it's what Dodge called them in '61. In '62 it became the D-100 and the Dart became, well, the Dart.

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

Assuming it's a 1/2 ton model, the bolt pattern is the usual 5 on 4.5" (Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker). The LA and A series (Poly) block are the same on the bell housing bolt pattern except for 1 hole. They do mate up.
    - EM

6. Squablow

Squablow

Never heard of a Dart pickup, learned something new today. How many miles are on the engine? I have to wonder if the smoking isn't a valve seal issue and not a rings/wear issue? Sometimes a valve job with new seals/seats is all it takes to make the smoke go away. Not everytime, but worth doing a compression and leakdown test (I think that's what you need to do to determine it, right?) just to see. 318 Poly is a good engine and known for long life, could be worth a shot.

7. what Squablow said....I run 3 early poly's....good little engine.....

8. carguy699

carguy699

be advised that Chrysler changed the crank flange bolt pattern beginning in 1962 along with bell housing bolt pattern(although I believe the bell can be used. the flange difference will,however, determine what trans you can use with what engine.
    jim

9. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

5 on 5.5 should be the bolt pattern for wheels, not sure on engines.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its definitely not a traditional hotrod

11. earlymopar

earlymopar

He asked about wheel bolt pattern as well, hence my reply of being (5) on 4.5"

- EM

Poh likes this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Hnstray, low budget and Poh like this.
  13. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

So the earlier trucks were the same bp as the cars? I know the later ones shared the large bolt pattern with Jeep and ford.. hence my reply.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Edit::
    Sorry, lapse in updates with my interweb , everyday is a school day.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'm far from en expert but I believe that at least the 1/2 ton pickups were the same BP as the passenger cars.

- EM

15. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

In the ad photos, it looks like it's got Mercury Mountaineer SUV wheels on it right now, so whatever that would be. 5 on 4.5 I guess? Looks like a pretty sweet old pickup.

low budget likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I never heard of the trucks being called a dart either, but yeah they are 5 on 4.5, I cant remember specifically about the trucks but if they are like a lot of the old chrysler products the driver side will have left hand thread lug nuts/studs and the passenger right hand thread.

Not that this pertains to your truck but the old pre 73 dart cars etc only had a 5 on 4 bolt circle.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yawn........very tiring reading this so often......

57 Fargo likes this.
  18. Yes the drivers side of the truck will be left hand thread, and to confirm above responses, the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 just like the cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app