Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Buick special project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mack0331, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Yeah its not what I would have chose but they sold me the engine for just their parts cost so I'm not going to complain lol

belair likes this.
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You could always have a new plate machined out of aluminum to cover it up. It could be ribbed, or you could make up a logo for your car's name.

3. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Mail man brought me some stuff to do this weekend.

[​IMG]

54monarch likes this.
  4. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

a bit of progress today . Got the rear end housing in . New springs , shocks , grade 8 bolts . Got the torque tube tore apart and put in a new driveshaft bearing and U joint and got that all put back together. The U joint was a pain to find. I ordered both u joints oldbuickparts had listed for 57 and niether fit. Ended up just measuring it and matchimg it up. I belive the one I got that fit was from a early 60s galaxy. Strange. Rolling chassis is getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  5. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Missed a pic.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  6. SHARKO

SHARKO

Great project. My first car was a 57 Buick and I put a stick in it. But it's not 1964 anymore. My bro gave my wife a 53 and I found a local guy to do the Dynaflow and it cruises just fine. The Buick Club has a magazine (The Bugle} with parts for sale in the back. I see 3 engines and even a manual transmission in this month's issue. The stick add did not mention bell housing clutch pedal, etc, so would probably start you down a slippery slope. The Buick club members are cool and can help you a great deal though. We have been members for 3 years now. www.buickclub.org
    Good luck ps Make sure to get a copy of a factory shop manual
    Pat

7. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

I have a shop manual its actually on the floor in the second pic

8. SHARKO

SHARKO

I should have seen that. Really nice job on the frame. You aren't messing around!

9. Slopok

Slopok

You may want to protect your shop floor a little better when you use Por-15, it will lift the concrete when you go to scape it off. :eek: Oh and don't get it on your skin either, ask me how I know.:mad:

10. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

I don't really care about the floor . it seems no matter how hard I try to not get it on me I still manage to do just that lol .

11. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

I've always wanted to build a 50's car. Great style , big , lots of chrome. Didn't want to do something everyone else has. Truthfully I wanted a 58 belvedere to make a Christine but the parts availability and price for those are astronomical. I do really like these Buicks and there aren't a lot around where im at. Debated on doing a full body off resto or not but figured if I'm going to do it then I'm going all out. Replacing or rebuilding everything !

Sauli likes this.
  12. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Picked up the motor today !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. philo426

philo426

wow!Killer engine with a high rise intake and dual carbs. Like the massive X frame,should handle the torque from that mill.

Mack0331 likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Luv your Nailhead.

Mack0331 likes this.
  15. LOVE the look of the engine! You are progressing quickly, I will be following along. My love for the
    B.O.P.s from the mid 50's grows every year.

Mack0331 likes this.
  16. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Thanks guys I'm pretty excited about it.

Dropped the trans off to be rebuilt today. I don't do transmissions never have. When I was a ford tech at a dealer we had one guy that did all the transmissions and I've been a fleet tech for the last 7 years for a rental company and we don't do transmissions at all so I just didn't want to mess with it. Only time I even think about them is once every 5 years when I have to recert my trans ASE certification. Making some progress again!

[​IMG]

biggeorge and Peanut 1959 like this.
  17. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Finished up the rear end , brakes , and threw the wheels on . its a roller ! Motor and trans will go in next weekend. Wanted to get them in this weekend but some of the trans parts took longer to get here so it won't be dome until this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Gearing up to start body and paint. Rear floor pans ordered and got this IR 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon compressor.

[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  19. dave plmley

dave plmley

Mack0331 likes this.
  20. philo426

philo426

Ingersoll/Rand expensive! Aint no Harbor Freight!

mikhett, Fortyfordcmm and Mack0331 like this.
  21. One fine looking ride. This will be one great sleeper. Keep up the great work!

Mack0331 likes this.
  22. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Figured I might as well get a good one and have it last. I'm a tech my compressor is better than the one that runs our whole shop at work lol.

23. philo426

philo426

No doubt!

Mack0331 likes this.
  24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it comes to anything to do with compressors or air tools its hard to beat I/R. Good choice and nice work!

Mack0331 likes this.
  25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

I'm a little partial to 57's

It's pretty much a bolt in, just a couple little differences, but a dynaflow 401 would slide in like butter.

LOL, and people wonder why I did what I did to mine.

And there are so few that do.

I really really hope they didn't do valve seats.

quick85, Mack0331 and gggholson like this.
  26. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Cool project. That engine looks great and ought to make that Buick a sweet cruiser.

Mack0331 likes this.
  27. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Getting this trans rebuilt has been a bit of a hassle. First we had to order parts from like 5 different places to get everything needed. Then some parts cane in wrong so had to get all that sorted. Then valve body needed a massive amount of cleaning which took a while . now everything's back together but apparently no one makes new torque converters for them. Now we are having one made. Everything else is done so I will finally get it back next week about 3 weeks later than originally planed but it will be all entirely new. Starting to think my original plan to convert it all to a LS drive train wouldn't have been such a bad idea LOL

biggeorge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Well the local restoration shops said it would cost $10k to have new floors put in. F that! Found new rear floor pans online and just used sheet metal to patch the rest. Spayed raptor bed liner over it and that works just fine. It will be under carpet anyway so don't need it perfect. Wasn't paying 10k that's for sure! Started sanding down the body . Need to get the rest of the trim and windows out this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. philo426

philo426

Yes it is not a concours restoration,so as long as it is strong,it should be just fine with the sealer.

Mack0331 likes this.
  30. Fortyfordcmm

Fortyfordcmm

chryslerfan55 likes this.