Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pics: 1974 Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Hood, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Great pictures Desoto, but where they from the Nats East or Minnesota. I don't recognize that 33 Willys PU as being at Nats East. Believe me when I say I checked out all the Willys at the shows I went to and never saw that one. I went to every Nats east from the first one (unofficial) in Rockville MD to the last in Timonium. Rich Vinza old buddy where are you.

Pat

Pat

F&J likes this.
  2. St Paul.

BTW, anyone recognize the guy leaning against the Henway? We'd just parked after having cruised the fairgrounds when I shot the pic.

F&J likes this.
  3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

[​IMG]

If I am correct there is a rebuild of this car on the HAMB now. Sadly the owner (Buz Svarda) passed away a number of years ago. He was a great guy and his son is really doing a great job on it.

4. You mean Norm leaning against the cab?

fordflambe likes this.
  5. F&J

F&J

desoto, I never met you that I know of.. well, met you "at" your car!!...but,...I am nearly positive I saw your million mile sedan way back in June 1973 at a small show at a shopping plaza in Stafford Ct!! I recall the White? body color? or I BET the white body was ACTUALLY on that the Anglia? that had the same "style" or same artist's wild art? which was Alice-IN-Wonderland on that white one...anyways I am fairly sure your sedan was there?...and... I recall ALL the stick-on dash plaques all over the radiator support??? Yes/NO??? lol... fun times EVEN if my mind is Really messed up from lyme! I do now think your sedan was NOT white, but that goldish copper! lol.. Rock IT ON, dude!

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Great thread !!! Brings back great memories !!! Great to see ya posting pics from this era Skip , And Sabby and his antics ! I believe Angels Champagne was involved , hahaha !!!
    Ernie from Regina ...

F&J likes this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Love these old pics! Brings back lots of great memories as a teen growing up in the 70's, and going to all the Nats and other runs.

AHotRod, Ron Funkhouser, F&J and 2 others like this.
  9. Randy Nash (Deuce Roadster) was there. HRP

[​IMG]

F&J likes this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

Random thoughts from St. Paul. There was a guy with a T bucket pulling a trailer with his German Shepherd in a dog house. Sieben (seven in German) was his seventh Shepherd and traveled cross country with him. We ran into him multiple years.
    Another guy with a T running a 6-71 blown 427 BBC would go for a cruise and park the car, put the key on top of the blower scoop and walk away.
    Then there were the wild nights on University Ave., cruising , burn outs and more. Eventually the cops had enough and opened the hydrants.
    Good memories from good times.

Roadsir, AHotRod and F&J like this.
  11. Dan Ive got a whole lot more from my uncle who was also on the tour- will get them up as soon as I can!

Better up here than sitting in a box!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Since this thread got revived here are all of my uncle's slides from the same event.

These are in 35mm so it's a bit more difficult to get the same color and resolution - a few of them were water damaged and badly faded but anyway..

A few notable pics for me:

The guy on the right of this picture with the camera is my dad, this must be the camera that he shot all of the earlier pics that I posted with.

img717.jpg

In front of the camper is my aunt, note the poster in the window: "Reef Street Rod Association, Johannesburg So. Africa" - their local club

img734.jpg

Velvet covered pickup?

img725.jpg

Someone was onto the rat rod thing in 1974 already:

img756.jpg

For some reason this is my best shot from this lot:

img662.jpg

here are the rest:

img653.jpg

img654.jpg

img655.jpg img656.jpg

img657.jpg

img658.jpg

img659.jpg

img661.jpg

img663.jpg

img664.jpg

img665.jpg

img666.jpg

img667.jpg

img668.jpg

img669.jpg

img670.jpg

img671.jpg

img672.jpg

img673.jpg

img674.jpg

img675.jpg

img676.jpg

More to follow!

Attached Files:

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not a chair or a canopy in sight...........;)

14. F&J

F&J

How the hell would I have noticed that?..... as anyone wouldn't, who was into rods at that moment in time.....Wow...the wild rush from all these photographs! (They're not just "pics" ..lol) AND all the Comments! placed on this thread from all of youse'...! WoWee!

MO_JUNK likes this.
  15. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

The ‘40 with flames was Lobecks for sure. Does anyone remember the brass plaque on the firewall? Do you remember what it said??
    I have a photo of it somewhere, but it would take a year to locate it. I quoted the inscription below......
    Jim

“A ‘40 without flames is like sex without a Tongue”

tfeverfred and brad2v like this.
  16. 1929rats

1929rats

what a great post and cars of the era. I remember going to some street rod shows in the 70's. I was very young, but they made an impression on me....thanks for sharing all these great photos

brad2v likes this.
  17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The last series of pics shows Buttera's T sedan and many other cars I remember seeing throughout the 70's and 80's. Keep'em coming!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thank you for the picture of our Rockne. Yes, unfortunately my father passed away 22 years ago at the young age of 51. The Rockne has been in the family since 1968. My brother and I grew up in this car along with the matching 32 Rockne sedan. A build thread that is mentioned can be seen here for anyone interested in following the build. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1932-studebaker-rockne-build-thread.1071483/

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I definitely remember and miss those hotpants,

[​IMG]

Steel Wheel, BHRS, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or cry babies!
    Good lord, who came up with those things?

zzford, lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  21. [​IMG]
    IMG_1454(1).JPG

43 years later. The body and frame are in a garage about 20 miles from me. Not for sale.

MO_JUNK, AHotRod, Chuck Craig and 4 others like this.
  22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I saw the Buttera T sedan last year, it was in a corner in the basement of the Peterson Museum in L.A. along with quite a few famous Hot Rods.

23. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Is the C cab the original Norm Henway?

Roadsir likes this.
  24. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Thank You. A trip back in time.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I was fortunate enough to go for a short ride in it in 1975, at the Memphis Nats.

26. zzford

zzford

I do remember those days. As I remember, the trends were: Resto-rods, lots of outlandish paint jobs, Jag rear ends, and rear tires hanging out in the breeze. Just like bell bottom jeans and platform shoes. Thank goodness trends change.

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Nice clear pictures from a time long gone...Thanks and you are appreciated...

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Yes, it was St.Paul, MN at the fair grounds. Although my car wasn't finished, I worked for a company Hq'd there, so I arranged a business trip back there for the week :) Still have pix of several of those same cars at that event.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

FWIW, I buy car magazines since mid-sixties, happened to have the first four Street Rod Pictorial.

There is over 30 pages of the '74 National in the fourth edition.

1974 SR National-01.jpg

brad2v and Bowtie Coupe like this.