Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Good Deal !

loudbang likes this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Took the Fiddle picker to Paradise Drag Strip "Christmas-n-Paradise toy drive this past Saturday. Met some great folks, Stude did good, had a blast !! paradise 4.jpg paradise 2.jpg

3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the clutch pedal in and operating, working on a linkage set-up.Had to make a new shaft to go through brake pedal pivot and to the inside of the frame. Will be a challenge. If I could use a "U" bolt it would be easy. Can't use bell crank setup. Trying to use original pedals, pivot point way to low and the actuator arm will pull to the rear and so does the clutch fork. About 4 inches height difference and it all must be behind the actuator (mid motor plate in the way). Any ideas, let me know. clutch pedal.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Dog_Patch, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That mid plate screws up everything I can think of without cutting your floor all up. If you want to try a "half breed" system with a hyd. slave and a mech. fork, I've got a Wilwood pull type slave you can borrow to try. If it doesn't work out, you can give it back to me. But we can look in catalog and see what they sell for and agree beforehand on a price if it does work, so you don't have to take it out and give it back if it works OK.

5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

That's what I was going to do. Changed my mind and going mechanical. Probably be a "U" design linkage with some sort of guide to keep it standing up and in line.

loudbang likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Be sure you have enough leverage built in.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

On my Lark I reversed the arm to the top side of the pedal so that it swung forward when pedal is depressed. I then fabbed a small bellcrank assy that bolts to the side of my lakewood scattershield, its the one that has the bracket welded to it for 55-57 chevy z bar . I then fabbed up some linkage using hiem ends. It works perfectly on my 59 lark with a 327 & muncie:D I can post pics if you want.

8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Let's see the pics. I haven't attached the arm to the rod yet so it can go up or down. Only problem with up is I would have to reshape my floorboard there because it would be only about 1 inch long the way it is now. Reshaping is not a problem if I have to. Give me dimensions on the arms too If you will. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am dealing with the same issues on my Morris. I have modified the pedals and am working on mounts. Thinking about using a cable because I have way less room than you do. Either that or a total hydraulic unit. I have been doing some research and as long as you use a -4 hose it will exhaust the fluid fast enough to release when power shifting.
    Just remember to have enough mechanical leverage . I just redesigned a 38 Chevy for a guy who did it wrong, the clutch was like a light switch before and felt like you were pushing on the brake pedal.

chryslerfan55 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yeah thats correct , the arm is appx 1 1/4" long had to put a small dimple in floor to clear in fully upright position. I'll try and get some pics up this weekend but it might be monday cause when it comes to all things techie Im kind of a tard:confused:

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Here are the pics I promised. My Z-bar support is attached to the bat wing. The bell crank on the side of the scatter shield I bushed with oilite bronze. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Lumpy63 ! Cool Car and nice work on the linkage ! My problem is the mid motor plate. Looks like most of the activity is in front of the rear of the block. I would not be able to have much support from the motor plate, have to cut too much away.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got the Ladder Bar Cross member made up and installed. Will finish it off with the upper loop when the running gear is removed. Probably remove the old drive shaft loop when it's done. It's 52" from the axle tube, so it will probably make the bars about 50" long. Was shooting for 62" bars. Too much going on with the frame at that point, so 50" it is. Pic not so good under the car. lb xmenber.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Almost finished with ladder bars, ran out of shielding gas. Still have ladder supports and safety loops to go. Ladderbars.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looks like you will be ready by the first race. I was hoping to, but maybe the last race of the season.

16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Doesn't matter when you make it, just make it happen !! Happy New Year Mike !

Hang'emHigh, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got your snow slicks on that Stude yet ?

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Ha ! it completely missed us this time and I'm glad. I don't care for snow at all !! It always seems to cost me. Did y'all get any ? It was a strange pattern.

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  20. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Jim, that leather jacket I got from you sure is helping keep me warm !! I love it !!

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

One thing for sure, you need a good jacket the last few days! True enough, no snow in Griffin, but it's been cold as a well digger's ass for the whole week! Have had to run the propane fueled heater in my shop turned down low all week to keep pipes and things from freezing, then fire off the diesel fueled one to be able to stay over there for even a little while. Gotta go back over there today and take inventory on my stock of Amsoil synthetic lubricants for tax purposes.
    You can bet I'll light off that 70K BTU diesel one and hug it for a bit till the temp at last gets up in the 50s!
    Johnny I know most of your work is done out on the shop front apron, so I doubt much is getting done?

22. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

My sister lives south of you guys in Thomaston. I want to come down and visit her but I guess I'll wait. It's about 4 degrees up here and I know it's warmer there but I want it to be short sleeves and shorts weather if I'm going south!

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

J.A. I used to race on the dirt tracks around here with a Larry Miller back in the late 60s and early 70s.
    he was in the paint and body business in Thomaston. Any relation?

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

dirty old man, no we are from the north. My sister's first husband was stationed at Fort Benning and they stayed in Georgia when he got back from Viet Nam.
    Lots and lots of Millers around and if you go back far enough we probably are all related.

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We stayed in Fort Benning before going to Germany.
    Hope I'am not related. :D

26. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

You're right Dave, not much, but we are kinda still on schedule, finished the trans crossmember (made it removable), ladder bar crossmember and got most of the ladder bars done in the cold !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

My son got over 2 inches of snow just east of Waycross. Sent me a picture of their snowman. He is 20 miles north of the Florida line.

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

My daughter and Grandson sent me pics of a snow fort in Mt Pleasant S/C, just outside of Charleston. Still on the ground, 3 to 4''

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Been working on clutch linkage today. Going with "U"(1 Inch tubular driveshaft loop) design with guide (bronze) bushings. Had to put it on a diet ! I used 1.5 inch flat bar to keep from having to mill some long slots (tracks) in the plate. Back plate will attach to frame and floorboard . I will cut away excess from back plate after mounting is figured out. Don't have my scatter shield and clutch fork in yet to finish mounting. clutch linkage.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Finished ladder bars and floaters. Take apart, paint and re assemble, adjust. (not using the scissor jack for support, just a safety measure) ladder bar fit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018