Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do Oldsmobile windshield wipers work?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by EnragedHawk, Dec 26, 2017.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys have dis connected the vacuum hose placed in a cup of brake fluid, mechanically move the wiper blades back and forth a few times. Let sit about 20 minutes, reconnect hose to intake, and start the engine. Do it outside as the engine might smoke a bit but the fluid will soften the leather paddles. Also stretch the springs on the wiper arms a bit, a little less tension helps them work better for getting by inspections. Also take a water squirt bottle to the inspection as wipers work a lot better on a wet windshield.

2. coupe man

coupe man

20 plus years ago I had my vacuum wiper motor in my 41 ply. rebuilt by someone in NY. state.Found the place listed in Hemmings magazine.They still work fine.Yes if you floor it they will stop but you shouldn't be racing in the rain anyway.

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Sounds good. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. BJR

BJR

I would fix the vacuum wipers. I love listening to them work in the rain, reminds me of when I was a kid and riding with my dad in his 53 Oldsmobile Super 88. I have them working on my 49 Buick in my avatar.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Fix them with Rain-X. Drove my O/T Camaro for 5 years with no wipers.

6. Rckt98

Rckt98

Replace all the rubber vacuum hoses if they are old. Even a pin hole in them can make a difference.

7. Or find just about any British car such as any Morris, Austin etc and use their wiper motor....they are cable driven with a clamp on wiper transmission that can be mounted whichever way you like to suit whether your wipers are "clap your hands" or "wave your hands" type of wipers........the motor can be mounted anywhere as long as the cable is long enough...........my 1940 Dodge has a BMC wiper motor mounted behind the glove box and it works fine............andyd

mikeyyeah likes this.
  8. ^^^^^^I did that with a wiper assembly from a MG in my '37 ford sedan. Worked like a charm and 2 speeds.

9. fordflambe

fordflambe

Some of the car guys around here just never drive when it;s cloudy..........thus no need for wipers!

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Break down and install an electric wiper kit from Newport engineering. No one needs the hassle of vacuum wipers especially when this kit is a bolt in unit.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Well, tried it all. ATF, the Vaseline, cycling the motor, swapping air lines, wetting the windshield, etc...

Best I could get was the passenger wiper working as long as the driver was off.

I’ll order a Newport motor next month (Kinda pricey).

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Besides "tuning up" the vacuum motor, also make sure the the rest of the drivetrain is well lubed. I have found the posts on the cowl that the wiper arms connect to can fill with crud causing them to freeze or have a lot of drag. I'd spray some penetrating oil in them from the outside and work them by hand to make sure they work freely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It operates really smooth by hand. Doesn’t hang up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app