Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Philadelphia area Hot Rods + drags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goldy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. the shadow

the shadow

the road he is talking about is (or was called back then) hog island rd. it is the access road to the UPS plane terminal now. I knew a guy that ran there back in the 60's and he said some crazy shit when on there, on more than one occasion a guy brought a slingshot dragster and ran it against anyone that wanted to run.

Goldy likes this.
  2. 270283

I read an article about Reggie Jackson once where he said he raced his '55 Chevy there. We used to come down from Chester County to race and watch. Last time I was there in 1965 the cops came in from all directions and rounded us up. Impounded the cars and put the drivers in jail overnight. Everybody else had to find their own way home. We ended up with six guys in a taxi all the way back home. Cabbie was a great guy and shut the meter off halfway back as we were out of money. Within a year most of us were off to the military with one more crazy story to tell.

Goldy and Finn Jensen like this.
  3. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Im looking for information on any 1964 plymouth max wedge or 1964 Hemi Dodge/Plymouth tht raced in the area.
    Peter Milos.... Poor Boys (Hemi Hustler).. etc.. Thanks

4. IronTrap

IronTrap

Any new pics/stories? It's a shame a lot of them are gone in here. Maybe some new stuff will pop up!

My friend Eric is an old Hot Rodder and he bought his 32 Roadster in the mid-late 50's and it was a Modifiers car originally. He swapped an Olds with a Lasalle trans in it and then it sat for many years until the past few years where he's been redoing it. I always like visiting and helping with the car and hearing his stories of street racing around Philly in the 50's and 60's! Below are a couple of his photos of the roadster when he was swapping the Olds in and channeling it.

Also attached is a neat drag racing photo from the Philly/NJ area he snapped but he couldn't recall the car or track off the top of his head.

ericoldphotos4.png.jpg ericoldphotos3.png.jpg ericoldphotos2.png.jpg

dan31, Ford52PU, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy

From the looks of the guardrail and the water tower tank in the background, I think that it is Langhorne. They ran 1/8 mile drags on a strip in the infield.

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  6. Goldy

Goldy

Hi folks, I have not been on this thread for a while and thought I would check in and see what is going on ? It is a shame that Photobucket pulled so many historical photos from this thread. Please post any old pics that you may have for this topic.........Goldy

dan31, Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Here are my pictures that were 'lost' ...

Attached Files:

Jet96, Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Some more -

Attached Files:

9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

And a video link - York US 30 Dragway, Bash's car at 0:55 and a the 'Filthy Forty' at 0:46
    After 1:45 it is too new for mee.......

10. Great pics and video Dave. I spent a lot of time at York Drag Way as a kid. The track closed down when I got my drivers licence .:( I remember once in a while they would stop the race action, and a plane would come in and land, then right back to racing, LOL.

bowie, Bowtie Coupe and pat59 like this.
  11. Goldy

Goldy

Hi Dave, thanks a bunch for posting !!!

12. Fas Tech

Fas Tech

I grew up in Hatboro in the 50's and the 60's and there were quite a few of the 60's cars and 70's cars that prowled the roads back then. Hatboro had a 409 car with ladder bars called "Get Around" , the Ciccione brothers had a 1966 Hemi Belvedere with a beautiful paint job and they called it "Un Chained"
    and they used to drive around with slicks and new spark plugsin the trunk and I can tell you they never lost a race anywhere. There was a Yenko Camaro and hordes of Chevy Impalas, Novas and Buicks all hopped up and driving to McDonalds only to turn around and go to the Hot Shoppes in Jenkintown.
    Many a 6 pack dart ran the roads. I was one of the Impala guys and I ran a 64 impala 300 horse 4speed and I would race any one anywhere. I lost to a buick 455 from a rolling punch. There was a corvette from Warminster called "Yellow Fever" and that car was only seen for a few times, it couldn't hook. I worked for Hurst in the shipping department and sometimes in the assembly lines to get things expedited like the pistol grip with the shifter. I had a buddy Jon Cunningham who also worked for Hurst and He had a Plymouth 64 fury 2 with duel carbs and a 426 wedge and a 4 speed, cheater slicks and wild abandon.
    My name is Fred Patrick, email me at [email protected] and lets talk cars.

bowie and mad mikey like this.
  13. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Goldy- I have read all of your posts, almost all relate someway or another. We have been in each others
    present one time or another. I born & raised in philly, grew up in Roxborough section 50-60 time area.
    I visited Hatfield many times, on one or two occasions went with Jerry Stimillar, 57 270 chev, 150. drove
    there opened the headers, put slicks on and raced. The car was all white, it stayed in Rox for many years.
    I belonged to the Lancers Hot Rod Club, bought a club members 1940 ford raced at Hatfield a couple of
    times, E / gas. We used to cruise to the hot shoppes, and big boys on blvd, back in the day. Later on built
    a JR Stock, 57 wagon, N/SA. Raced at Atco. Then built and drove three NHRA S/S chevs. See web site
    Don Glovers Chevelles. Worked at Hurst for several years, one of three Enginers that built the 1968,
    Hurts / Olds prototype. Lately have traveled to many events displaying old Hurst info. Keep up
    the great work.

Charlie K, Bowtie Coupe and Ford52PU like this.
  14. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

I was born and raised in Northeast Philly and thought I would share these 2 clippings from the early 1960's that were hanging in my garage. Spent a night in jail but did a lot of laughing with the guys and gals and my dad thought it was funny when he came to pick me up the next day. A lot of street racing out of Big Boys on the Boulevard, the Concrete Strip behind Byberry Hospital, the Budd airstrip, the Meadows, for a short time Decatur Rd. and every time you would catch a Red light Boy I miss those days. Mantuajohn Tumolo 100_4956.JPG

Charlie K and prpmmp like this.
  15. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

BILL CAMPBELL - HURST CO-FOUNDER
    William "Bill" Campbell passed away on Feb 8 th, 2020 at the age of 97. He was born in Flushing
    Queens, NY in 1922. Bill Campbell was one of the co-founders of the HURST - CAMPBELL COMPANY back in the 1950s along with George Hurst. Bill was a detailed engineer that made a lot of the ideas work. They made a great team together.
    He worked at HURST- CAMPBELL until 1969 when he retired. Through the years other companies acquired the
    HURST COMPANY. Presently the name still shines above the rest. Bill Campbell was the keystone and the cornerstone of
    this legacy. I worked with Bill for many years.

Attached Files:

dan31, Bowtie Coupe and prpmmp like this.
  16. Robin (UK)

Robin (UK)

Just ran across this photo on facebook. No details were posted with it, but this looks like the '41 Ford sedan you mention... 145716806_10224710290093704_7389287686912642596_n.jpg

mad mikey and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Goldy

Goldy

Yes Robin, that is exactly the car and the owner/ driver. Thank you for posting that photo. .....Goldy

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey likes this.
  18. Goldy

Goldy

Just checking in and trying to figure out how to navigate on the HAMB now.

19. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Goldy, Thanks for starting this thread. Still looking for any info on my Uncle Ed (Eddie) Woodland from Frankfort Ave then Cherry Hill. Enjoy the pictures!

20. 32FordWoody

32FordWoody

On the hunt for the car in my profile

1932 ford woody by John good and hanks speed shop