Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Just in case ya forgot;)

But all good, you didn't have them I guess...but hey, we learn by our misfortunes and become experts later!

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I gotta get some longer bolts for the middle 4 holes in the manifolds but otherwise they’re on. Put the wires on the starter but i still don’t know where i should ground it. There’s a ground strap on the right side manifold, would running that to the frame be good enough? I wanna connect the battery and see if i can get it to turn over and see if the points are getting a spark

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

First time i’ve used these in a while! [​IMG]Got the motor turning over really good, for some reason none of the other electrical stuff like lights and horn will work, but i figure the battery is low. Gonna need some longer battery cables for this v8 too. [​IMG] with any luck i’ll be driving around the block in 2 days time!

What’cha got in there, kid?
    More than you can handle!

4. Yep, those exhaust manifolds are off of a Vette:confused::confused:. You can just tell by looking at them with both exhaust ports exiting the head in the middle:rolleyes:.

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

The starter will be grounded to the block, always a good idea to clean the mating surfaces though.

Battery ground can go to the intake, then run a ground to the frame as well. Unsure if the tri-5's had a body ground or not,but always a good idea to run one..can be small gauge braided strap.

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Is a ground from the trans to the frame good enough? I’ve got a braided strap but it’s pretty short so i’m trying to find a spot it’ll work

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you haven´t got your alternator / generator in there, I guess it is normal there is no current to the lights and horn... The Gen normally feeds the regulator and from there the fuse box. You probably hot wired your starter and ignition switch so you seem to have no connection to the fuse panel and therefore no current to the other consumers? Just a wild guess...

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, that'll work fine.

chryslerfan55 and 1935streetrod like this.
  9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Got the v8 throttle arm and carb linkage and a new clutch rod from Butch today, thank you a ton! Hopefully the last couple parts will be here tonight and i’ll get it running tomorrow

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Have you sorted out how your going to mount your alternator? I ask and I'll leave you with this. With all that extra room between the fan and radiator opens the door to kill two birds with one stone. And this bird seed is easier and cheaper to find. Providing you wanna go 69 and up (clue).

11. Budget36

Budget36

I think he's got the Alt bracket (upper anyway) on the engine now...pretty sure I say a pic with it on??

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Yes, but with no means to attach lower mount OP will have to make something up or do an alternative. It's all his to decide.

13. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

If it were mine I would ground to the body or the chassis and have more than one. I had a hell of a time with electrical issues due to a bad ground incorrectly installed by previous owner. My battery ground now connects to a screw behind it on the fire wall (but for me that was stock location). Your ground needs to be on clean bare metal.

14. Budget36

Budget36

@RAGINPIN3APPL3

Hey, do you know what type of alternator you have? i/e internally or externally regulated? If internally, you'll NOT want to hook it up through the regulator you had with the generator. Another thing to look into, even if it's an externally regulated Alt, I'm not sure if the regulator is adjusted properly for that.

Just some things to keep in mind and look into over the next few days of tinkering.

15. Budget36

Budget36

I'd have to go back and look at his pics, but if the engine came with an Alt, I'd think he'd have what he needs?

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Start at page 1 post 1 and see why this is an issue.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Not sure I have to go back to page one, but on page 20 he shows a pic of the engine with the VC's off, but an Alt on it.

What are you getting at?

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Where's the 68 style exhaust manifold so the lower bracket will fit? I don't see it nor is he using that or those manifold/manifolds.

19. Budget36

Budget36

I see what you're getting at...IIRC, just needs a spacer and a longer bolt for the front on the exhaust manifold, then again I might be thinking of something else? Going by old memory when I put headers on an engine.

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Agree with that super easy option.

21. Budget36

Budget36

Well hopefully he's reading along...lol!

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I'm sure he is. I just hope the bracket will be up high enough and the bolt spread is the same. Other wise a plate will be needed to raise it so alternator will pivot without interference?

23. flatford39

flatford39

That lower mount is not an option. It must be installed. I got stranded in Iowa towing my 39 deluxe coupe back. The harmonic balancer came right off and chewed up the snout on the crankshaft. I was driving a 79 Suburban with a 350 and towing an 18'0" trailer with the 39 on back.
    It was a costly mess. Live and learn I guess.

24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I have a lower alternator bracket now, i’ll have to see what alternator i actually have, might have to bypass the regulator if it’s internal i guess. I’m stuck on the clutch rod right now, my old one has the swivel on it but there is no easy way for me to unscrew it because it’s pretty rusty and theres no way to grip it. I think i’m gonna soak it in clr overnight.

25. Budget36

Budget36

Let's hope not...if he has to raise the Alt up at the pivot point, then the upper bracket won't be in line anymore.

He might need to get creative with some 3/16th flat bar and do some bending on it.

Do you have a little propane bottle torch? Heat does wonders.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG] [​IMG]

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m not getting spark at the points

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Is 11.96 volts at the battery too low? It cranks fine, the points open and close, but there’s just no spark at the points and obviously at the plugs either

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ve got a test light, where should i connect it to to see if the distributor is getting power? I know the coil is getting power because i tested it with the test light.

30. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Almost success! I messed with the points a bit, put a little gas down the carb vent, cranked her over and she wanted to go. I don’t wanna start it up with the battery touching the header so first thing tomorrow is a trip to the auto parts store to get some battery cables.

chryslerfan55 and AndersF like this.