Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Juice for ultrasonic carb cleaning?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SHARKO, Jan 3, 2018.

1. SHARKO

SHARKO

I 've got a little ultrasonic cleaner. What is the best additive to the water? and in what concentration?
    Thanks
    Patl

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Best? I dunno. I use Simple Green Straight. Has worked for me and no worries about disposal.

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  3. oj

oj

I just use dish soap.

loudbang likes this.
  4. SHARKO

SHARKO

Dish soap {Colgate} helped but I had heard about Simple Green and I use it here and there with good results. But you are saying just Simple Green no water right?
    Thanks
    Pat

loudbang likes this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's what I do. Will it work as good or better diluted? I don't know. It seems to work pretty well so I haven't tried anything else.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Hiya Pat! How have you been?

7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A mixture of Shout and water works great. I use it for engine degreaser as well..

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

used 50/50 mix simple green and water cleaning carbs for small gas engines-couldn't believe how well the ultra sonic cleaner worked.Added bonus,my boss hated the smell of simple green so we used it as much as possible

6-bangertim and 6inarow like this.
  9. SHARKO

SHARKO

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to Home Depot for some Green tomorrow. Your 34 PU is coming along. I miss you in the hood. I just put in a nice cruizer (geezer} clutch and I'm ditching the electric fuel pump. I've been waiting a year for my last best upholstery guy. I hope to cruise this summer.
    Pat

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to HF and bought their ultrasonic cleaner. I didn't expect much. It got some good reviews, and some bad ones about reliability, so I bought the warranty.

Two years in, and I am still suitably impressed.

I use 50/50 simple green and water. Be prepared to oil any non-plated or non-painted surfaces as soon as you dry them.

11. Cool! When you get that Olds out and about cruise out to see my Olds-powered roadster!

12. SHARKO

SHARKO

Right on for an Olds mill in a roadster. Is this the 27 or the 31? Olds motors are great if you can find a machinist.
    Pat

13. SHARKO

SHARKO

It's fantastic. I think you are just the right caretaker. I'm guessing it's a 324? Is it a hydro or a LaSalle?
    With the carbs off I can see my distributor. It has always worked well with points lasting years. Is there any reason to go to Pertronix?
    Congratulations on your fine hot rod.
    Pat

cactus1 likes this.
  14. I use Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner too, but be aware that it's corrosive to aluminum if not flushed clean with water.

15. I used Pine-Sol to do some small motorcycle carbs; worked real nice. Smelled good too.

16. Thanks Pat. It’s a 303 hooked to a ‘39 trans and torque tube rear.

I tried Pertronix once...never again. Points for me brutha!

I’ll stop muddying up your thread now! I like simple green in my ultrasonic as well FWIW.

17. SHARKO

SHARKO

A 303 and a 39 trans is a great combo. sI can't wait to see it
    Pat

cactus1 likes this.