Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frozen in Time '57 Chev

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead A-V8, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

This old girl was last on the road sometime in the mid '80's stripped, abandoned and left for dead til I found it and worked a deal...yes I know to many this would of been just a "parts car" but there were actually no parts left on it!! :D Bear with me because I recently had a kid and am also working outdoors on this one...it won't be a high $ hot rod but I hope to do right by the old girl and get her back on the road at least. This thread is dedicated to us indoor project space and financially challenged rodders...
    57-20171229-01.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Yeah I was just finishing installing the box and column and getting ready to drop the engine in when the weather hit :rolleyes:
    57-20171229-0.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    1Nimrod, Big mike 1968, brEad and 3 others like this.
  3. I can relate.... snowy.jpg

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

5. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Nope it's not mine it's the landlord's....I had a carport once but never a garage... must be nice
    57-20151010-weddingcar.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Close to minus 30 Celsius here this week.

Mines in the garage but too cold to do anything !

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm in Texas and burned through $85 of propane in the shop heaters working on my project this past weekend. Colder than a well diggers shovel handle in January here! Oh wait....it is January! Happy New Year!!

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is supposed to be in the 20's tonight in Florida so it is cold almost everywhere.

9. This morning, I showed my car the picture of yours icebound like that. It cried a tear. Actually, it was the Muncie case seeping.

10. I hear you guys about the cold. We are starting to run low on propane heat here for the cabin and still haven't finished paying off the last bill yet. I am going to go down with the 56 Chrysler and try to talk to them this morning.Good thing we have the fire place .We have been using it a lot this month, and last month too. Bruce. 001.JPG

11. choptop40

choptop40

Oh yes...set the alarm clock for 2 hour intervals last night making sure pipes didnt freeze...had 4 hose bibs dripping , well they still froze , hot water poured on em and they freed up....no damage....opened them a bit more.....all good

12. sdroadster

sdroadster

I had to put on my welding jacket yesterday. I was repairing my car trailer and the hot Mig BB's could burn my arms with a T shirt on... 78 degrees in San Diego...

13. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Don't laugh too hard. This doesn't happen often in SW GA. IMAG1330.jpg

14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

57-20151010-weddingcar1.jpg
    Ha ha ha...that reminds me of an old joke about making a horse laugh then cry lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    1Nimrod, Big mike 1968, brEad and 5 others like this.
  15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The chassis swap: this car came with some pretty mangled frame horns one day while posting some pics of it here I got a pm from a hamber @samurai mike saying this was probably his old car he gave me some history and a picture of the car when he got it with a totally creamed rear 1/4 sure enough I got under it the rail was tweaked so I knew it was time for a new frame
    this is how he found it late '70's early '80's in Washington
    57.6.jpg He fixed it up to this: *(ignore the date on the pic....that's the date of when he took a picture of the original picture) lol Screenshot_2016-04-11-23-09-52.png so I picked up a parts car
    18601250_1337544413020052_1420974470_n.jpg IMG-20160908-01169.jpg IMG-20160908-01171.jpg IMG-20160908-01168.jpg IMG-20160908-01170.jpg 57frame.jpg 57frame1.jpg 57frame2.jpg
    I towed it to a buddy's shop (twice lol) paid for some towing and hoist time and got her on the parts car frame! wish I had had time to clean and POR15 it but there was a mixup with buddy's shop time...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  16. Is that your Golden Retriever laying there sleeping Bruce? Mine is laying on the couch with her head on my lap snoring right now. They have it so hard.

1Nimrod, sololobo, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  17. yikes

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

1 st snow in Tallahassee, Fl. in 28 years today.

19. choptop40

choptop40

Holy Snow cones Batman.....stay warm....

20. Not at the moment.

Bruce Fischer and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  21. Always wondered how you heated an igloo without melting it. We rarely get extreme cold here, but I remember a few times that it got down around zero farenheit. One such bitter cold Saturday when I was a kid, it was about zero. I rode into town with my father. He stopped in at Jack Abbott's store (everybody called Mr. Abbott "Jackrabbit") to get gas in the '55 Ford. Jackrabbit had a roaring hot fire in the pot belly stove in the store, bunch of old guys huddled around the stove to keep the fire from freezing. It was like a fish story as they all told how cold it was according to the thermometer on their porch. Each one took it down another degree until old Mr. Will Ingram topped them all as he said, "We'll never know how cold it got at my house. Thermometer froze and busted."

1Nimrod, sololobo, Elcohaulic and 5 others like this.
  22. Warhorseracing.Yes that Sunny Girl sleeping there and the cat sleeps on the stool next to the fire place too or my lap when I am in the recliner.Well I went down and paided off the propane company. They said we had 40 percent left which was plenty and we were on their route for this month so that's good. I forgot to say when I got out of the shower yesterday I noticed the heat had stopped working. After I got done with the propane company I came back home and went out to the unit and open and closed the gas valve a couple of times and banged on the diframe a couple , must of been some ice in there because when I went back in side and reset it she starting working again and has been doing well since. Its freezeing up here today but I am getting cabin fever so I am going to layer up and cut some more wood and then split it in my warm shop today. You all stay warm. Bruce.

23. aaggie

aaggie

It's been a little cool here in Houston for the last few days but supposed to be in the 70's this weekend. Watching the news this morning it looks like the folks along the East coast are in for some really cold weather.
    A little off topic but I have been running out of space to store my junk so I checked out a sea container. Houston is a large port so there are many places that sell them. I bought a new 20' X 8' X8 1/2' box delivered with taxes for $3100. It tucks under the trees behind my shop and is the same color tan so the neighborhood lawn Nazis are OK with it. If you need space it is a real bargin you can't build a shed that weatherproof and critter proof for the money. They come in sizes of 8',10',20',30' and 45'.

24. choptop40

choptop40

Hey hey , good score and they are weather tight..who did you buy it from

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It's cold here, too. But I love it! Got me a new cold-weather tent and a -20 sleeping bag. I'm camping this weekend. Friday night it's supposed to get to -6*. Nice warm fire outside the tent, my sleeping bag...I'll be a happy man.

1Nimrod, Elcohaulic, mkebaird and 3 others like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Woah! Does the governor declare martial law and recall the national guard? Frost advisory for Summerland Key?

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I hope you get the help that you need

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually winter in the Florida Keys, so I have only marginal heating in my 1200 sq ft shop (14 ft ceilings). For whatever reason, I'm stuck in Northern Minnesota for the season during one of the coldest winters I can remember. For the last week and a half, we have had overnight lows in the teens and twenties below zero and the daytime highs have been above zero (barely) only the last two days. I only have a 35,000 BTU propane ventless heater in my shop and thought I was screwed. Surprisingly, things are working out OK. I bought a 5800 watt (17,000 BTU) electric heater that I plugged into my welder outlet, since it requires a 30 amp 240 volt circuit. It is thermostatically controlled, and I run it on it's lowest setting. It cycles on and off, and the lowest temperature I have seen in my shop was 32.4 degrees when it was 29 below outside. Now that the lows are in the -10 to -15 degree range, that electric heater keeps the temperature to around 40 degrees.

In the morning, I go by my shop and turn on the ventless heater, and then go to town to pick up the mail etc. When I come back in a couple of hours, the temperature inside will be about 55. I'll start work and in a couple of hours it will be over 60, which is all I want when I'm active. I couldn't have imagined it would work this well.

I am keeping track of propane usage, and a 20 lb bottle will heat for about 8-10 days, at a cost of about $18. I have a manifold that allows me to connect two of these, so I'm looking at a cost of about $75 a month, even in this unusually frigid weather. The big unknown is my electric bill; I haven't received one yet, and am really afraid of what it will be. I'll take it though, as it has allowed me to retain my sanity through this horrible weather.

Bottom line is that a well insulated shop is a must, and the infrared heater is a real gem if you have the power and are willing to pay for it. It's -13 now, and I will be able to spend the afternoon in the shop in relative comfort, so the winter isn't a complete bust.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Bruce, some philosopher type once said that cutting wood warms you twice.

Small comfort under your conditions, but you take what you can get.