Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Color matching vinyl to paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

One of the weird things I do is to line out every thing before I start my next project. I pick colors, wheels, Powertrain, upholstery colors etc. This keeps me on track and ensures I end up with a nice finished project and not something with flat black paint with ZzTop stripes and a tuner muffler.

I have been struggling with finding a vinyl that matches the outside color. It’s an odd color, but it has a very 60’s show car vibe to it. I am probably wearing out the folks at SMS sending me free samples of vinyl, but I am at a loss on any other way to do it.

The color is actually a 1980’s Chrysler color. It’s Glacier Blue Metallic. I sprayed it on a Mild custom I built 10 years ago and would like to use it again.

I am planning a stark white traditional tuck and roll with a similar blue for the seat caps and a few other accents.

Any idea if upholstery places have a reference where I could send a paint sample on a coupon and have them color match it to something ? I just want to be sure I can get to where I wanna be, in case I need to change directions early on.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. This is from my experience,I tried something similar and was real disappointed with the results depending on someone else.

I ended up going to a supplier and they showed me all the sample books and then took me through the warehouse and showed me all the rolls of material I was interested in.

I was able to purchase the exact material the on line people told me was discontinued. HRP

Roothawg and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. I would imagine an 80's Chrysler product probably had a vinyl material in it so I would try someplace like Original Auto Interiors to see if they carry something.

There is also the option of using leather if you are only using it for an accent and Relicate Leather can match colour to paint samples and match the vinyl pattern as well. From what I have seen of their stuff they do top notch work but I am sure it comes at a price. https://relicate.com/pages/relicate-leather-custom-color-vinyl-match

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for the link.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I always say, the closer that you try to match something, and still miss, the more noticeable it us.

The Human eye and mind is built to spot pattern and mis-match.

Find a complimentary, contrasting color.

Elcohaulic and Roothawg like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roothawg if you have a local upholstery or awning or canvas shop stop by and check them out. They many times have catalogs sent to them from all the manufacturers. You may luck out and find something they would be willing to order for you. I have a buddy with a canvas and awning shop and he has more catalogs than you can imagine and can get damn near anything.

Roothawg and john worden like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either that, or turn your process on its head.

Get the vinyl that you like best, and have the paint color matched to that. It is a whole lot easier to change the color of paint, than it is to go through sample after sample of vinyl, only to find out that the whole bolt does not quite match.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with this. and also do yourself a favor. you said "stark white" upholstery. Please use an off white color. the stark (piece of paper white) white interiors I have seen really come off "plastic" looking if you know what I mean. Just a tiny bit on the creamy white side is all it takes to look better. Take a piece of paper with when choosing the white material and lay it on next to the samples for comparison....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    zzford and Roothawg like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

You can get paint for vinyl upholstery, just buy a color vinyl that is close and have some paint for vinyl mixed to match the color you want. Then spray the upholstery before it is sewn.

K13 and Roothawg like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

The color is sort of like the Pontiac engine color. I have thought about just going solid white and using the white on the dash to tie it all together. I putting a 40 Ford dash in it, which has a lot of chrome on it.

11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Some pictures of a contrasting color on my roadster. Richie-17-whrr-10-year-127.jpg roadster.jpg P1020004.JPG

Roothawg likes this.
  12. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

When I painted for car lots I did a lot of that with interior parts that were being replaced on warranty or to fix up used cars. There were special clear primers for different plastics ( I was using the RM paints 40 yrs ago so that stuff is all obsolete now) and I was using professional quality products, but I really can't recommend it for a fresh build. The painted parts never stayed looking good as long as the factory colored pieces.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Take your paint sample to Trumans Fabric & Foam and Gipson Trim Supply in OKC.

Mr48chev, Roothawg and da34guy like this.
  15. x 2 on Gipson

Roothawg likes this.
  16. I would guess there is a vinyl out there that is a close match to that colour but you need to go somewhere that does not focus solely on Vintage OEM fabrics like SMS.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, in use Gipson a lot. Last time I was there, most of the fabric books were geared towards the newer cars. I will stop in and see what they have.

18. Shane Mcdowell

Shane Mcdowell

If you get me a sample of the paint or even a picture, I could check through all of my vinyl books and see what I can come up with.

Sent from my SM-G928V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think I need to buy a qt and spray some samples. The sample I have is on my paint label and it’s not very uniform.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you did what most in the know would suggest and that is go to the big upholstery supply house in the area. I remember when Bob Russel of Waco did my seat back in 1973 he took me down to a supply house in Waco that I didn't know existed and says that is 3.00 a yard, that is 7.00 a yard and that over there is 20.00 a yard how much do you want to spend. Place blew my mind at the time with all the material they had though.