Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Halibrand - In pursuit of history & stories

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatblackindustries, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I bought a set of 15x14's and 14x6's from Halibrand back in '84 when they were still in California. If my memory serves me correctly (rare for me now) I was told they were heading to Kansas to set up shop. By the way, my wheels have never been on the road and are 100% original.

One of the 15x14's was porous in 2 places due to machining and with a little dab of JB Weld it's now 'good to go'. I have ancient '0' mileage Pro Tracs mounted on them now but will likely go with a Hoosier radial when the time comes to getting the car on the road.

2. LVH

LVH

I was told that it was Ted Halibrand who chose the 6 pin on 5" bolt pattern for the midgets and sprint cars. Anyone know if this is true? Were there other 6 pin on 5" hubs prior to Halibrand's knock offs?

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't know but glad you bumped this.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 28rp

28rp

Great thread-glad it,s been bumped as well......
    I am lucky enough to own a couple of Ted,s offerings- a 101 midget with side bells and six pin hubs and a 201 that's been adapted for the street under my 35 pick up project.
    These things are n,t easy to find down here in little Tasmania!
    They are both Torrance manufacture-they can t get much further from where they were built!
    Great info and history session-keep up the good work guy,s

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ‘m glad to see this thread resurface as well. Always have been intrigued by the Halibrand mistique. I’d love to see that timeline defining magnesium 4 to 5 small windows, medium windows, speedways and sprints.

lothiandon1940 and elgringo71 like this.
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

BTTT
    Been trying to get back on my Quickchange book and was looking for some history. Came across this thread (again).
    discovered this post and tried to follow it up with no success.

Anyone have these magazines? If so, could you scan and post?

Sounds like there might be some additional information there.

Thanx,

Bruce

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The pictures went missing. anyone have this magazine? Can you scan and post?

Thanx,

Bruce

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Rootie,
    Can you post any Quickchange stuff from this catalog?

9. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Can't help on the ARC catalog, but I have a 1973 CAE that has the driveline stuff for the rear engine sprinter Culbert tried.

Let me know if you have any interest.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sure post 'em up.
    All things Quickchange ;)

11. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I have a basket-case midget with the 6 on 5" hubs, for which I needed wheels. Thinking I could save a few dollars, I figured I could find some standard steel wheel centers, cut down the outside diameter, and weld them into some 12" outer rims. After much research, I concluded that this pattern is rare or non-existent on wheels you're apt to find in the local junk yard. At one point, I ran across a Model "T" wooden spoke wheel. Voila! There were six bolts holding the spokes to the hub (one for each pair of the 12 spokes), on 6" centers. I am convinced this is the genesis of that bolt pattern, which is in nearly ubiquitous use to this day on oval track, lug and pin drive wheels. (Of course, the "wide-five" '36 Ford pattern also became common for a while.)

LVH likes this.
  12. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

The early midgets used the Model T hubs, Halibrand just made the wheels to fit what everyone was running. Just like the early smooth wheels with the splines. It was to replace the Rudge wires that the Indy and sprint cars were running.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Desmo, the midget Halibrand wheels are usually affordable. Especially compared to big car wheels. Then you'd have the real thing.

14. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Thanks! Unable to come up with an alternative, I have managed to put together a real set from swap meets.

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I have 4-1/2 x 18s on the back of my sedan. I've assumed (silly me) that they were Indy front wheels. Are they? About when were they made? 28 Merc.jpg

16. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

17. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

See Zach Suhr here on the HAMB. He took over THE ALTERNATE from the original publisher and should have the archives.

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

BTTT
    Just 'cuz!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I'm looking for info on my 201 rear. I've tried on here before, but had no luck. Its an IRS with much wider side covers for a late model diff, and note how much material ther is on the bottom under the snout. Does this look firmiliar to anyone? Here's some pics

Attached Files:

20. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, that's not regular. Must be a special casting so the builder could mount the center solid to the frame. Thicker bottom to tap into for mounts, maybe?

neilswheels likes this.
  21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Are there any other markings on the castings? Normally Halibrand had his name on the center with the part number (201 in this case). Also, does the other one say 'Calif' ? The side bells don't look like any Halibrands I've seen before. They remind me of an Allard. Based on your location that would make some sense.

Ted made many special parts but I'm thinking that this could be an Allard copy with mods for the IRS. Strictly a SWAG on my part.

Speedwrench and neilswheels like this.
  22. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Yep, if you look at the first pic, you will see there's both 201 and calif cast in the center. I've looked at the Allard possibility before, but they're nothing like this. The mystery continues.....

23. Frames

Frames

I built this midget about 1971. Ted had just come out with his very compact in/out box and was way behind on orders. Also I ordered the QC with 1" offset. I think midgets were all straight up at that time. Everyone was saying Ted moved me back on the order list because I was a no one. As pictured here I had the car done without the Halibrand parts. My own design Hollywood img065.jpg spring front , SPACE FRAME, cross torsion rear. Long radius rods. Cage outside the body to not look like an Edmunds. John Hartwig B M R A champ. 5 Features in a row. A record at that time.

sr and rpm56 like this.