Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drove the wagon to work this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Colder than the proverbial witches titty in a steel bra this morning,9 degrees was the low & it's 14 degrees now which is a heat wave for some of you guys up North but I live in the Sunny South and this sucks!

I scraped all the jack frost of the windshield on my off topic daily driver pickup and when I turned the switch all I here is - click , click and then silence...I muttered under my breath but didn't fly off the handle.

I tried all the normal things,clean the battery cables but the battery had given up the ghost,5 year battery and 7 years old.:rolleyes:

I go in the garage and fire up the wagon and let it run for a few minutes and drove to the shop,when I arrive I am met by a unhappy woman,busted water pipes...now I'm starting to use my allotment of 4 letter words for 2018 and I'm just getting started!

I arrange for a plumber and head over to my pal Mikes Battery & alternator shop and am greeted by Mike and see he is also experiencing busted water pipes and not only that but his ramp trucks radiator let go coming to work this morning,His employee was coming to work today,he didn't have water and the block in his 60 Chevy blew out a couple of freeze plugs last night.

I'm feeling a little better about my problem,all I needed was another battery and it gave me a excuse to drive the wagon,which I have driven much in cold weather,that car has got one HELL of a heater!

upload_2018-1-2_17-6-55.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    mario711, 47ragtop, 50fish and 19 others like this.
  2. 003.JPG Got drive them when you can Danny. It was friggin 4 degrees here this morning. Thats even too cold for me, even though the cabin stays warm I have been letting the water in the sinks drip water at night this week .We don't need frozen pipe on top of everything else.Bruce.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. BJR

BJR

Don't you people down in the south use antifreeze in your cars, and have your pipes protected from freezing? Seems like that should be normal procedure, unless you live in south Florida.

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

I thought it was a brass bra instead of a steel one...:confused:o_O:D
    Anyway, I know how you feel..
    I've had days like that also...:(
    Also, this cold ass weather we're having is gonna get worse... -5° tomorrow morning and -10° on Thursday... I'm gonna be freezing my nut sack off the next couple of days....:(:(

HOTRODPRIMER and Bruce Fischer like this.

5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

There was a time in my life when "The Climate Be Damned".... 15392890_1738059403185000_5265822778547521549_o.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER, kiwijeff and jnaki like this.
  6. It's a good thing we're experiencing all this global warming or else this cold snap would have polar bears in south Florida. :rolleyes:

7. topher5150

topher5150

You and me both. I had to rebuild the auger drive on my snowblower in this shit

8. Been cold here 38* this morning.(Grinn)

9. sorry, no disrespect .....even though the weather man had been talking about the cold and snow for days , it always manages to sneak up on the ill prepared. with a few mornings at -17 below both my daily driver and snowblower started fine , my house is nice and warm

i work part time in an auto parts store , and this weekend i met many who were not prepared..most with a bad attitude

10. Sure,I use enough to keep from freezing,70/30 but the unusually cold weather we are experiencing right now people would really need at least 50/50 mixture of water & antifreeze.

A expensive wake up call for some.

As for homes & businesses,a lot of them are older homes that were built before home inspections when they were built,as I said earlier we are experiencing extreme weather and for a prolonged time.

Our business had a new water line tapped in from the bathroom in front of the building to the back,about 200 feet and the line was run through the ceiling,we now have a cut off line in the bathroom to prevent any future problem. HRP

11. And they would be eating all of the gators, or vica versa.

12. Feel your pain for sure. Got tired of it years ago....-23 degrees at the house yesterday but 47 here in FL where we are parked. I will take the 47 gladly!

13. We experience-40 Celsius every year and cars start and houses keep going etc. we do use a 50/50 antifreeze mix however

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm feeling a little better about my problem,all I needed was another battery and it gave me a excuse to drive the wagon,which I have driven much in cold weather,that car has got one HELL of a heater!

View attachment 3762559 [/QUOTE]
    Consider your self lucky. When I was in the Army stationed above Reno I had a '63 Chevy 4x4 Carryall that was so big inside the heater didn't stand a chance. I duct taped visqueen from the roof to the floor to make the cab smaller and that still didn't help in the sub freezing temps.

15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Laughing here as my dad did that with our 1960 country sedan when he took it over as his back and forth to work vehicle as the heater was anemic

Cold here too however there's so much salt on the road they are all white. I hate to drive anything as you can almost see it rust.

16. I just got back from the gym with the '59 Ford. Runs okay but takes a while until it warms up with the air-gap intake and big Holley. 19 here now, starts fine even with the 20w-50 in it. Supposed to get real cold here towards Saturday.

17. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Nice parking job! Lol, been 20*here in sunny California too..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

45 degrees overnight in my orchard and 82 today in SoCal. Sorry.

19. putz

putz
    from wisc.

hey Bruce between the lines !:)

20. Like the rest of us old Fart's,it ain't power parking we just can't back up worth a damn! HRP

21. Ahhh, below freezing,,,,,, broken pipes, no water calls, and the dreaded WATERMAIN BREAKS,,,,, I dealt with that stuff for 30 years working for the Oak Lawn water department, was on call 24-7 just about every day sucked big time , some nights i never came home, out for days . Now retired in Evergreen Colorado and everything is hunky dory,,,winter here is so easy going,,, a little snow, a little cold, everything is better in a couple days. Been driving the hotrod as often as I can. I really feel for you guys that still have to deal with what I lived with since 61.

22. BJR

BJR

"Our business had a new water line tapped in from the bathroom in front of the building to the back,about 200 feet and the line was run through the ceiling,we now have a cut off line in the bathroom to prevent any future problem. HRP"

Here in Minnesota and Wisconsin we always use 50/50 mix of antifreeze. And in the frozen north we would never run plumbing pipes in an outside wall or in an unheated space like a ceiling. Not trying to be mean, but around here stuff like that is just common sense. But then we go down south and get so sunburned it ruins our vacations. Go figure. :D

BigDogSS, HOTRODPRIMER and Wrench666 like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so sorry that you had to rub road salt in the wound - Ha!

HOTRODPRIMER and Poh like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You guys in the sunny south are hilarious :D
    After 2 weeks in Texas around Dallas with 34 F weather on the cold days and then warmer but still cool (which we enjoyed immensely) Jan and I came home on December 30th to a big cold snap here at home of -23 and that’s without the wind chill.

However like Texas, if you aren’t happy with the weather then just wait for a brief time and it will change.
    Today was 20 degrees warmer at +3 and it’s supposed to be above 0 for the rest of the week.

We really have had a mild winter up to now most of December was pretty nice.

HOTRODPRIMER and firstinsteele like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

One of my O/T '69 f body cars had a factory installed AC Delco block warmer in a inline 250 motor.... That thing worked like charm on those cold ass mornings... Just had to plug it in at night before you went to bed.. Unplug it in morning and start the car... Within minutes, the car was nice and toasty inside...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. wicarnut

wicarnut

Global Warming. Hard to believe when we are having record cold in most of the country and here in beautiful northern Wisconsin, it's colder than a well digger's butt. Winter of 2013/2014, we reset every bad weather record there was, now we are running near this again but without much snow so far. I feel bad for the southern guys that this weather has caught off guard, here homes, garage's, car's, attire, we are prepared as it gets cold EVERY Winter, I still snowmobile, but not when it's this cold, 10-32 deg for me to go out. Happy New Year my frozen friends !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

-15° @ Metro airport.... This sux!:mad::(:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Not trying to be a smart ass here... well, come to think of it, I guess I am, haha. I'm in Fairbanks, right smack in the center of Alaska. Had 31F on the thermometer at mid day. Eves were dripping where the sun was on them.

BTW, 50/50 ethylene glycol and water freezes at -34F. Straight ethylene glycol will freeze at 10 above, 70% ethylene glycol /30% water is good to around 70 degrees below zero F. Colder than I've seen in 63 years of Alaskan living.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You DID ask permission from the wagon's owner first, didn't you ? LOL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Having grew up in the U.P. of Michigan and seen the high of zero for a month when I was a kid and the frost 8 feet into the ground. I will take a week of high 40's in the daytime and 20's and 30's at night.
    Didn't anyone ever tell you that if you just crack the water on and let it run slowly that your pipes won't freeze ? Lived in a 1953 Spartan travel trailer at the Grand Canyon and my pipes did not freeze at -10. The water in the toilet bowl froze but not pipes.