Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

those you pictured will work fine

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The bottom manifold looks to be 3932481 but I am not sure because the photo is fuzzy (and I can't read the top one at all). If it is that number, it is '69 Corvette 350.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Got the numbers, he told me 3832461 but that doesnt exist. 3932461 does however and is for a 69-74 327 or 350. So will these work for me?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Can someone also point me in the right direction for a bracket for my alternator? The old power pack heads don’t have holes for a mount, i’m using a short water pump and with these rams horns, there isn’t a mount built into the manifold

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Bracket-Adjustable-Billet-551672X/dp/B00V7CC79C
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...cc-holes-camel-hump-double-hump-heads.758227/
    http://www.billshotrodcompany.com/673/index.html

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ The first won't work because it's designed with a belt location like that of a long water pump.

8. Those rams horns will fit great. what you have is a pair of passenger side manifolds. just get two longer 3/8 bolts for the front port on the drivers side & a few flat washers take the generator mount from your six and drill holes in it to bolt it up and go from there . You ought to be able to fab up a serviceable alternator mount.

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thanks guys, i’m all about using what i’ve got if i can so i’ll see about using the old 6 cyl bracket tomorrow. I think i found some spark plug wires in my parts pile i can use for the time being, so i just gotta fill the fluids, mount and wire the alternator, and put a belt on it and i should be ready to fire it up. Shame it’s 10 degrees outside when i’m trying to do this

10. [​IMG]
    Danchuk. This is the drivers side.
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side.
    The ones you pictured should be fine.
    Low mount alternator kits are readily available. They use a short belt, a plus.

11. You can also use an after market alternator bracket with those manifolds. They're made for headers but worth a look, anyone try them with ramhorns? eBay is also a good place to look for exhaust manifolds. Dorman makes a selection too. You're at the point where you need to know where and how you need to mount the alternator, which you mentioned the PP heads not being tapped.

I used a '65 or '68 Impala set up on my car ('59 Ford), the driver side manifold has a 45 degree turn back on it. Nothing bolts into the head. The alternator bracket bolts into the intake.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sounds good but in case you havent already, did you get the distributor clocked in correctly getting the rotary button pointing toward #1 spark plug position while the #1 piston was up on top dead center?

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ll do that once i have the battery grounded and can crank the motor

What’cha got in there, kid?
    More than you can handle!

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]took the old brackets off the 235 and i think i can get something to work with the rams horns from this. I did order a bracket to use with the headers i bought, but it’s not here until tomorrow so i dont know if it’s gonna fit the rams horns

How bad of an idea would it be to run a generator? Reason i ask is i already have the wiring for a generator, it looks cooler etc instead of wiring the alternator

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Looked up the date code for the generator and it says february 9th of 1956.... kind of weird. Last 3 characters on the tag are 6B 9, 1956, February, 9th

16. It may have been buried in a bin and kept getting passed up because new inventory constantly got piled on it. Still correct for '57. When rebuilt, it may not have the ampacity to run an electric fuel pump, fans, and other things.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  17. redo32

redo32

If you're going to drive it use the alt. You said most of the wiring is bad. Most autoparts stores should have the alt in stock, which will not be the case with the generator.

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright i’ll wire up the alternator then. Just picked up the rams horns, ran the numbers they’re for a 70-72 vette 350. Tonight i’ll get everything done on the motor/trans besides a new cap and rotor and the alternator wired.

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

DANG!!! Throw a fender cover on there to protect the paint:rolleyes:. Sounds like you already have the manifolds, but if you don't, I have exhaust manifolds and NEW headers for a Tri-Five Chevrolet sitting on the shelf. Manifolds for shipping costs only, headers $65.00 plus shipping; NO ONE can beat those deals. Just re-drill the generator bracket to fit, and IF you go with the alternator, be sure to wire it with a diode in the circuit. Otherwise, when you shut the engine "off", the alternator will backfeed the circuit and keep the engine running. Kits are made just for this, or the wiring harness can be modified also. Shifter linkage straightened out? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Here's a little known fact: The V-8 Tri-Five exhaust manifolds are a 2 inch outlet, and are slightly, physically, "smaller" than the later, 2-1/2 inch outlet manifolds, like you have. The "right" manifolds are tight on the drivers side as is, and you may have contact issues with the manifolds you have. That and you have two passenger side manifolds that will make mounting your generator/alternator more difficult. It's always easier with the right parts.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. Also make sure that you are on the compression stroke (both valves closed) or you will be 180 out and it will backfire through the carp like a bit&&. Doing this it is telling you , "DUMBA$$ YOU GOT ME IN 180 OUT!:rolleyes:". Do you really want to know how I know this?:eek: Do I have to tell you?:p

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yes that is part of it, may want to look at some youtube videos for reference.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The manifolds i have i was told are 2 inch instead of 2.5, but they look like they’re gonna fit. I haven’t had much time to mess with the linkage, thats about the last thing i’m worried about. The parts Butch sent me should be here tomorrow so then i’ll have a working clutch

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You'll be fine. I only mentioned the two and a halves because you bought headers.

24. Of course they're for a 'vette engine! Couldn't resist.

RMONTY likes this.
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]Much better! Note to self and anyone reading that hasn’t already figured this out: install your exhaust manifolds/headers BEFORE putting your engine in a tri five. Learn something new every day. These are gonna fot perfect but it’s not gonna be fun getting the bolts through on the driver side

chryslerfan55 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It’s currently 14 degrees, everything i’m touching is ice cold but i will persevere

27. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

14+? If so your lucky been -15 or colder here all weekend and today. Still got some good cyote hunting in Sat and Sunday

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've owned my Nomad for 27 years this month. I have driven it over 300,000 miles. It has the original (power steering) generator. It has been rebuilt once by a local shop in those 27 years. Yesterday I drove the car in 8º weather. Today I drove it in 16 º weather.
    Two years ago I sold my '47 Ford coupe with flathead and 6v generator. I drove it, a lot. That generator never gave me any trouble, either.

chryslerfan55, redo32 and Torkwrench like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Ya...I mentioned installing he exhaust manifolds earlier;)

Glad you're on the right track!