Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods now a '33 5w chopped ford hemi coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Aug 20, 2016.

1. still plugging alone........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that little body on here and wondered what it looked like under the Bondo. Now I know. It really doesn't look too bad, nothing you can't handle.

I went through the same thing on my '39. Perfectly good panels covered in inch thick Bondo for no reason.

[​IMG]

Good luck on yours, it's gonna be cool.

-Abone.

mkebaird and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, I've leveled slabs for tile prep with leveling compound and didn't use it that thick!
    That body must be 40 pounds lighter.
    I think dumprat is onto something. Someone was trying to smooth out all the old car character.

mkebaird likes this.
  4. yeah, I saw all the bondo in the sales pics also, but I thought no matter what's under it at least I'll have a body and can probably fix what's under it. To my surprise it's all solid metal with a few patches.

Yeah, I think dumprat is right also........

5. still at it.....I was surprised the door didn't have a bottom patch panel. she has some dents so later I'll cut the inner door panel out so I can access the back of the door skin to do some hammer and dolly work. Did you notice a previous owner eliminated the middle hinge. I'm going to re-incorporate it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Gersic, kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  6. well, here are the results from using a sander, torch and wire brush.....I'm happy with the results.....next dolly and hammer file....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, brEad and cactus1 like this.
  7. That's a lot of axle clearance!

cretin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. mkebaird

mkebaird

Wow, fantastic job so far. I know how much work that is, I thought my 52 Jag was bad ...
    Love that shop!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Wow! Apparently bondo is an excellent preservative!

10. thanks man.......
    I like my shop also.....

I'm real surprised, I always thought bondo on bare metal would make the metal rust. I'm glad it didn't.....

Lt.cowl side is almost done.....
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  11. brEad likes this.
  12. Yup, it sure looks like it Zane

13. Pete

Pete

Damn that car had a crazy Z in the rear

14. little more progress.....I'm thinking of just clear coating her, no color.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. here's the frame that was under the coupe...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  16. Pete

Pete

Yup, heavy Z in that frame.

17. doors look good......I've never seen doors that weren't rotten at the bottom section. They don't even need patches.
    Bought some '33 door latches and having trouble making them fit. It appears that the inside of the doors have been modified somehow. I'm not familiar with what there supposed to look like. Anybody see anything that's unusual?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. spdster

spdster

Driver side door is 33 and the passenger door is a 34

cactus1 likes this.
  19. thanks.......I have a '33 door latch and a '34 door latch that I tried to install in the passenger door. I'll have to do some tweaking but now since I know what I have I'll make it work.

20. well, I removed the bondo from the inside panel of the passenger door. It appears that a '33 inner panel cut out and a '34 panel was welded in. It also appears that the top of the door was swapped out. The two pieces were over lapped and welded together. This overlap is causing the door latch to not seat correctly. I'll just modify the overlap and then the latch should fit correctly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. well, it's not pretty but it works great, little more welding and fabbing and she's done......it's a hot rod....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. well it only took 5 wks ,but I finally got all the bondo off the coupe. I also cut the plates off the doors to reinstall the middle hinges. I have to fab a plate for one door and then I'll be ready to hang the doors.
    I was real pleased when I removed the bondo from the inside of the deck lid. The bondo just covered up a minor repair. The lid is frickin awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. I got my hinge bolts from Vintage Ford , I've got some hinges ,3 I think are the correct ones for the car the others I'm not sure but I'll make them work.
    Looking ahead, I see I'm going to have to remove the steel channel reinforcement pieces so I can chop the roof and do my hammer and dolly magic on my welds and metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mkebaird and ss34coupe like this.
  24. Pete

Pete

Great progress my man, removing bindi is grueling work.

mkebaird likes this.
  25. thanks Pete, I'm glad that part is done.

26. Man, someone actually did a bunch of work on that car. The frame alone was a lot of work and the wheel wells but then they mopped on all that mud. Oh well, it will comeback to life now.

27. yes they did Tim......the mud work was impressive. Straight as an arrow.

28. Hey, Happy Birthday!!!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great build! I was confused at first (started with now and went back to the beginning), thinking you'd done a lot of work on the sedan chop and then used it as a base to build the (now) 5 window, then I got to the sedan being sold and buying the coupe body. Ha! I see you used the same sawhorse/body cradle I used for my roadster. ;-) I upgraded to a pair of Stanley "WorkMates" for the chassis table. Worked great with some 2x6 rect. tube clamped in for a frame jig. ;-)