Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel Tank Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmdeaton, Dec 30, 2017.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Someone I have seen, cant seem to find it now, makes a 32 style rear tank that fits between the Model A frame rails. What are the thoughts on this setup? I am looking for alternative since most A tanks are in rough shape and no aftermarket solution for them. Trying to plan my banger project.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I know a company called Dagel's Street Rods made a kit at one time. Dagel's 888-858-3778, the [email protected].

3. I always used a genie 32 tank AFTER adding frame extentions.As you know,a n A frame stops at the
    rear axle

4. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Try a company called Tanks

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Dagel's is it. They have the complete kit with the frame extension. Don't know if I like the tank Pinto style though.

5window likes this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't think tanks makes one but fairly sure speedway motor does make a 32 style tank for an Model A.
    Does anyone make a new steel repro cowl tank?? Surely there is a demand.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

No cowl tanks made at this time. Wish someone would.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

The cowl seems like the safest place

9. 2935ford

2935ford

I just bought Dagel's setup and am just now installing it.

10. I’ve tried a lot of different tanks in my Model A’s. My least favorite was side mounted tanks under the frame aprons. I have never tried the deuce style tank, because I don’t like the look for an A, and you loose the protective bumper and replace it with an exposed gas tank. I had a 1950 or so Mercury gas tank between the frame rails and that was a pretty good setup for my Tudor. My filler was a 1936 Ford tail light style. I am using a generic Tanks unit in my cabriolet just behind the seat and will do the same for my coupe. A properly vented filler is in the trunk, moved to one side. I used a Tanks unit in the bed of my ccpu. It is hidden with a tonuou(sp.) cover. It works nicely but takes up bed space. An original tank has limited capacity, is old, and interferes with many instrument panels and some firewall recess setups.
    Choose carefully, but there are a lot of options to consider, and the best will depend on your body style and how you use the car.

chris101_ny and fiftyv8 like this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I hate to box and ship, but I have [7] '30 gastanks... couple pretty good, if you can't find one closer to home... LMK...
    12 gal. aluminum tank for my '30 coupe through ebay... $76.00 winning bid... free ship.
    I dropped the floors to fit it under my rear window that drops 4" if hot out...
    DSCN0618 (1).JPG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Wasn't there a thread a few weeks back from a guy in CA who used repro model A cowl gas tank which must have cracked and he pretty much watched his hot rod go up in smoke???
    Cowl tanks and saddle style tanks would be my last choice when building a new project.
    I sold a stock 29 model A coupe to a guy who told me the first thing he was going to do when he got it home was to set a radio into the dash.
    I don't know how that was going to work out, so I had to tell him that his radio was not going to be a good idea in the dash...

v8paul and Vanness like this.
  13. Vanness

Vanness

Lol fifty. You have to learn somehow :)

fiftyv8 likes this.
  14. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Sloppy, just sent you a message.

15. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am building a 4 door 30 A. High boy with banger. I would like to keep the cowl tank if I find a decent one.

16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I was going to keep the cowl tank in my '28AA truck, but after thinking about metal fatigue after 80 years+/-, & the speeds on the road today, I decided that 10 or 11 gallons of gas in my lap was NOT the best answer for "where are you going to put your gas tank?" I put it between the rear frame horns behind the rear axle & under the bed(about as far away from the seats as I could get it!!)

fiftyv8 likes this.
  17. Canuck

Canuck

RCI 15 gal tank mounted in trunk, just behind seat. Has a sealed steel barricade between the seat and tank. The wood in the picture is a barrier to prevent anything in the trunk from damaging the tank. Shut off valve to prevent gas from siphoning out or slow someone down who is borrowing the car without permission. Filler is in the quarter panel just behind the cabin area.
    Gas tank baricade 20161111_163205_LLS.jpg
    Canuck

2Blue2, 31hotrodguy and Just Gary like this.
  18. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I thought about a 32 tank as I have a 32 frame, but went with the tank in trunk. I had to rebuild the entire rear/bottom of car and it just looks better without tank there. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct likes this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Take your foot of the brake pedal, it is hurting my eyes.
    Hahahahaha!!!!

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Probably not since no one has ever reproduced the Model A tank nor is it likely to ever happen

21. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

How’s this :)[​IMG]

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Beautiful and happy new year to you and yours.

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have done a few of rear 32 tanks . I used rears of junk 32 frames and stock 32 tank . Worked super nice . Just fit the tank and frame extensions as you would like them to look at rear of your car . 1st one I did I set the extensions straight out from frame it ended up a touch low for the look you want . Next ones I did I attached extensions and tank to get the look . Easy task , just requires welding

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

50 ford pickup tank from Speedway makes a great seat back.
    50.JPG

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like'm under the floor and out of the way.
    In front of the diff and between the chassis rails is safer and provides a much lower center of gravity...
    Mine holds nearly 23.5 gallons which is also another advantage.
    Only trouble is it takes more planning and thinking ahead to work it.
    Each to there own.

Attached Files:

2Blue2 likes this.
  26. james lakes

james lakes

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

a buddy in Durham, sectioned the rear body panel to mount the top half of a 12 gal. moon tank...
    mounts on his sedan kind of like a '32, but needed the sectioning because the tank was taller...
    pix this summer ... well maybe.

28. Dirk35

Dirk35

My Model A Sedan had a 32 tank and rear frame rails installed by the original builder. I really like it. I had to cut it out and re-work part of how it was installed, but for the most part, they did a good job.

You'll have to figure out how to widen the back part of the Model A rails (about 1/2 inch each side) to match up to the width of the 32 frame and tank.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lil'Alb, dwollam and 46international like this.
  29. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I like the trunk tank as the rear seat back. I also am liking the 32 kit. :confused:

30. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I like the military theme a lot. Too many choices