Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Talk me out of a gasser street car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopar92, Dec 30, 2017.

1. mopar92

mopar92

I’m a die hard Mopar guy. For some reason over the last 2 years I’ve been wanting a Plymouth gasser. I’m not into the rat rod thing but I think I could do a rat rod “ old school” hot rod gasser. What Plymouth do I go with? What year? I’ve got a fresh 392 Hemi and I have a welder and grinder screaming my name. I swear I’m not restoring another car... but this gasser hankering isn’t leaving. Ideas? Yes? No? It’s stupid? I think it would be a fun ice cream run local hot rod. Thanks hamb

2. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

The best gun to bring to a gunfight? The one ya got. The best Mopar to old school hot rod gas? The one you got. Or can find. For a reasonable price...

3. mopar92

mopar92

I keep thinking 41 coupe. There is one locally that’s solid but rat rodded with no engine or trans. I’m
    Not going to cut on an original. I see plenty of these in gasser donor condition.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, I don't know....
    How's about a '64 Dodge/Plymouth??
    With an injected 413???

Bugsy48 and belair like this.

5. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Think you answered your own question.

6. Because it's a lame fad, as bad as rat rods.

Gr8laker, das858, tfeverfred and 14 others like this.
  7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Something like this, maybe?

Gary

Daryl's Dodge.JPG

Bugsy48 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. mopar92

mopar92

Fad? It was a fad 40 years ago. Pretty sure not that many people are building gassers. Rat rods are lame. I hate them. I want to build a gasser and NOT paint it flat black like all rat rods.

9. mopar92

mopar92

I’d rather go 40’s. I have Mopar Muscle cars and a 63/64 Isn’t that much different than my collection is now.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll throw in my support to anybody contemplating a 392 hemi build but...........
    Paleeeze, no jacked up, white walled, bolt on spindle mount poser gassers.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have a buddy with a Gasser 35 Plymouth Coupe that's orange with a brown vinyl interior that might be for sale. Untouched from the 70`s. Even has the Orange Blossom Special on the trunk lid. Its just a roller. He has a spare Hemi to go with it. I f need be. He has too many projects. I wont mention the 19000 mile 65 Plymouth in the classifieds. It`s also a roller that came from California.

mopar92 likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Educate me.....So, if a hot rod is painted flat black it's a rat rod? I want to be clear on this.

49ratfink likes this.
  13. 49 Plymouth 3 window coupe.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High and Mighty tribute would do it....

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Don't do it.

Special Ed likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are all of the roads that you drive on straight and smooth?

If so, go for it!

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

RAT ROD GASSER ICE CREAM CRUISER 392 HEMI

wheeler.t and nochop like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

My avatar is a 37 Plymouth coupe with a Willys nose . The nose fits right on with very few changes. faded memories.jpg

19. catdad49

catdad49

Build what you like and please yourself! Keep us posted.

49ratfink, HunterYJ and partsdawg like this.
  20. vega1

vega1

Don't really think that was what was meant but most if those pos rat rods seem to of been flat black man lots of sensitive people on here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

impala4speed, 31hotrodguy and DHeep like this.
  21. BJR

BJR

They handle like crap unless you are going straight. Can't see around the front fenders with the nose high in the air. I had a straight axle 57 Pontiac Safari wagon 389 tri power 4 speed in the late 60's. Someone else put the straight axle in it or I would have left the front end stock. My 2 cents, a waste of a good car. Remember you asked.

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now everyone. And I mean everyone is excited about Squirrels build. I don’t see this as any different.
    If you have a dream and the ability and funds to fulfill it.
    God bless you and please take us along during the build.

23. I don't see a problem with building a gasser style car for the street,if that's what you want build it.

I put a straight axle under my 63 1/2 Falcon sprint back in the 60's but the car was high front & rear.

The car drove & handled well but on winding roads there was excessive body roll. HRP

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  24. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

I have been thinking of doing my 57 Chrysler Imperial. Nobody is really interested in the car all everybody wants is the motor and turning it into a gasser would give it a second life and look pretty wild too.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

Good points, if you are going to build a car that has the "gasser look", and you intend to drive it around, make sure to you figure out how to make it drive well. It's not very difficult, despite what the naysayers will tell you. Make sure the front suspension has proper travel (ie. set up the springs so they are soft enough) and try to keep the car somewhat level. Set up the steering so it does not have bump steer. Give the rear suspension the ability to roll.

Build it to drive (and race), don't build it to be a caricature of a race car.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The only thing I'd like to "talk you out" of is using the R** R** word. You're all over the place with it.

• "I’m not into the rat rod thing but I think I could do a rat rod “ old school” hot rod gasser. "
    • "Rat rods are lame. I hate them. I want to build a gasser and NOT paint it flat black like all rat rods."
    The good news is that you have a 392. You can put that in damn near anything and be off to a good start. Going all Mopar and gasser, I'd stick to a late 30's Coupe.
    I agree with DDDenny; "Paleeeze, no jacked up, white walled, bolt on spindle mount poser gassers."
    These modern day "gassers" with new Radir wheels etc. miss the gasser mark as badly as the 80's chopped Mercs did with their pillow top seats and Elvis/Marilyn trunk murals.

Squirrel is correct in that you can make it travel well, but it sounds as if you're intending to use it as a local burger run car anyway.

FWIW, if I had the 392 and was staying all Mopar, I'd stuff it in a pavement hugging, full fendered, 33/34 Coupe.

[​IMG]

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Anything with a hemi is cool ,just my opinion.I'd go with a A100 pickup if it was me ,Street driven - yeah baby.

Max Gearhead and rod1 like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Drove this straight axle Falcon all over the place . Long trips it would cruise like a normal car. A little stiff but handled better than a stock Falcon.
    Straight axle cars do not have drive bad unless you build them wrong. 2013-10-10 11.57.11.jpg