Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

223's are the Ugly Step-child's of the XO World, they got less cubes than a GMC, and less speed equipment.
    But they do have a more modern head than the ancient GMC's, said to flow as well as a chevy, well, at least as well as a Y-Block. And as you said, seems to have a bit too much carb. We are running a 600 on our race 278 (or so) race motor, and when we ran the Brew 102 with a stock 223 we ran a 450(?) two barrel which really woke up the motor after running a 600 early on.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Wow, for a little while I thought we were all banned.

3. Oh No! We wouldn't want that. the Virginia H.A.M.B.ers social group is open to everyone..

4. typo41,
    I have a single 4 barrel intake with a 600 Holley we will try if needed. . however I am pretty sure the 2 x 600 HP carbs will be ok. the head flows 207 CFM and camed for 6500 RPM. I wont go into the engine build at this time but it is a bear .. 271 cu. in. at 1.5 HP per Cu. In. = 406.5 H.P.

5. John, I know you have the combo figured out. Do what you know and success will come.

Nailhead Jason and loudbang like this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you do ever want to try fuel injection. I used throttles from an early Ford 4.6 SOHC engine. There used to be a lot of them in junkyards and they are pretty clean and easy to adapt. If you want some I have a few laying around, I drove the fuel pump off of the oil pump. That way if the belt brakes or something, it shuts the motor off right away. You might just mount them on a new plate on your mainafold, and braze bosses on the radius of the elbows for nozzles.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    loudbang, D-Russ and Countn'Carbs like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Then open it up for the rest of us.

Or not.

I don't see the point of joining a region specific group that I'm 2K+ miles away from...but , hey, maybe others do.

8. Every State has a social group. I belong to many including yours and have several friends there. I have followed friends in other states that way. I find it very interesting and enjoy seeing what's happening in there States. Just a few minuets' of your time to join . why not

chryslerfan55, wraymen and loudbang like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Then why not just open it for everyone to follow?

Why not?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John since you have this thread going already just post some of your build here as its already started...and your truck is in period and its Hotrod enough for here so keep us up on things...Happy New Year...​

11. I'm not sure I understand your concern – the thread is open to anyone who wants to see it. John started what has become a quite lengthy and detailed thread on the Virginia HAMB and now there's really no way to move it to the main board without help from @Ryan . The Virginia HAMB is an open group that anyone can join, so if you're truly interested in the build you'll take this simple step.

12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You should come and try it out in Maine at the July meet. 1.5 miles on smooth pavement.

13. Can you give me details of this event? where in Maine?

loudbang likes this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

I get ya. I just assumed it was as simple as clicking a button for who can or cannot view it.

My mistake.

Help me out if you will, how do I join the group, because i'd surely like to to view the thread.

15. John, Good luck with the project.Looking forward to watchin the build.

16. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I'm a V-8 guy, but dang, John! What a gorgeous straight 6!!!! Thanks for sharing.

17. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Unless they changed it the 500 and 600 cfm two barrels were rated with a higher vacuum than the 4 barrels were. I think the 500 2bbl flowed around 350 when flowed with the 4bbl vacuum number... dont ask me why they did that.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks John Most of us are still getting over signing up for the Hamb...:p...That was technically challenging enough as it is...

This is much appreciated...;)

loudbang likes this.
  19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

landracing.com/forum: Loring [AFB] land speed venue section

Loring Timing Association website: loringtiming.com [which can be clicked on directly from the left side of the landracing.com homepage]

I-95 North to Houlton Maine then North on Rt 1 ~76 or 78 mi or so. Venue, iron, and people all great "up in the county".

Ed

20. You also have the ECTA meet in Ohio. I have not been there but was at their Maxton NC meet when stationed at Ft. Bragg in 2004.

21. Budget36

Budget36

That shot of the engine showing the crank is a work of art.

Zerk and RacingRoger like this.
  22. Thanks Ed, this could be a great place to test before Bonneville.

23. ECTA Ohio and Maxton N.C. are closed. According to Tanya Turk the Ohio facility was taken over by Amazon. Airport officials made the decision after Amazon announced it would fly its new cargo service out of there about a dozen times a day, with more flights coming. Not sure what happened to Maxton only that its closing was the reason ECTA moved to Ohio.. Tonya Turk announced they were looking at other airports in Ohio as well as Oscoda, Michigan and Greenville South Carolina . Hopefully 2018 will a new beginning for ECTA. you can check them out at
    ECTA-Lsr.net

hotcoupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I forgot to add - Tempting when you get so close but don't speed on Rt 1, even the truckers stay within the limits. Moose have the right of way on all Maine roads...........

Bit of a haul for you folks but I think you'll find it well worth it, usually can get in all the runs you care to make.

I'll keep an eye out for you and your rig. My first car was a '54 Customline 2 dr with a 6 so I've always had a soft spot for 'em.

Ed

Marcia likes this.
  25. Thanks for the info Ed I appreciate it.

John Mullen Team Owner
    XO/PP 640 Bonneville Project
    the VIRGINIA H.A.M.B. Special

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I met John several years ago after seeing that he lived in the same town in VA as my sister, whom I visit at least once a year. So I contacted him via HAMB PM and visit with him whenever I am at my sister's for a visit. I'm here to tell you that John and all of his projects, completed or in progress, are first rate. I've been privileged, but sworn to secrecy, to viewing the innards of that engine:cool:.
    Was there this week to visit sister and rest of my family for a little reunion, visited John at his shop, where even though it was a holiday week, he was squeezing in a bit of work between fulfilling family obligations. He showed me some more stuff and data, and I'm still sworn to secrecy, so don't even think of asking:D
    John, I've gotta get outta here now and unpack while it's the warm part of day to unload my car, but tonight I'll enlist myself into your VA group and view that thread.:)

On edit: Maxton was closed because a security firm, IIRC called "Black Rock" used by the feds for training their people obtained it and shut it down.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. donnie

donnie
    from NC

ECTA is now in Arkansas.
    At the arkansa international airport

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.