Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Look Back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 27, 2017.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Don't ya think you and Fitzhugh should tell us where the Mysterion is by now? You've teased us for how many years?

Thor1 likes this.
  2. 18 years next week for me, still here. Lots of friends from thus place

blue57ford likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"Artist at large world headquarters". Where in the hell is Mcphail??? he is the one that got me to sign up here back in 01 just as I was finishing the Futurian

hillbilly and Sancho like this.
  4. Time fly's when your having fun,I joined 15 years ago come January 3rd. 2018. HRP

Tman likes this.
  5. BELLM

BELLM

Stumbled across this place, lurked for a while, got brave and joined in 2002. Enjoyed this blast from the past!

6. Even though I signed up in 2004 I lurked since 2002 when I came across version 2.0. I remember saving the pics you took from the 50th GNRS :D:eek::D

[​IMG]

fifty1.jpg fifty5.jpg fifty20.jpg

AHotRod, Sancho and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember that slick logo like it had been yesterday. ....I had been lurking for a couple of months or years before I dared to pull the trigger. I still feel kind of like a newbie with all the skilled and experienced folks on here... Thanks for keeping me learning every day!

8. Killer

Killer

Rad. Those were some fun times dude.
    That Kustoms by TSR guy is a dork though.

Moriarity and Sancho like this.
  9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man.. Memory lane. I remember lurking here on my girlfriend at the time's parent's computer since I didn't have one at home.. This had to be '99 or early 2000? Finally signed up officially in 2002.

Thanks Ryan. It's been a blast to "grow up" with the HAMB.

RPW likes this.
  10. I've been hanging around since.....er, I think it was 1999. Then in 2001 the HAMB went through a reconstruction and I became member #51. I really enjoy my time here.

11. I had ran into Ryan at Hangin' Dice in '99, he snapped a few pics of a couple of my cars...lo and behold I was searching for photos of '59 chevy biscaynes online and saw mine sitting in front of the Dr Pepper stage at Kay Rogers Park...and also an interior shot of my '51 shoebox...apparently someone liked the tiny rifle I had hanging on the dice from the mirror lol...

...this was from the computer in the library at Arkansas Valley Technical Institute, I signed up back then under my first name, later changed to "hillbilly" because some other guy named Mark posted a bunch of stuff that made me not wanna be confused with him.

I'm glad the JJ/HAMB is still around! I've learned a lot on here over the years...at 45 y/o I reckon I'm one of the graybeards we used to complain about in our 20s hahaha...

flamingokid and Sancho like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My wife and I got our first home computer in 2006. I signed up about a week later. Been hooked ever since.

13. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I remember those days.......I have a bunch of HAMB posts that I printed off back then with the old logo & rants and great info in 2 pages.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Tman likes this.
  14. Remember that racing slick logo like it was yesterday. Stumbled across this place back in 1998-99 time frame. I had just bought my first hot rod project (a '37 Plymouth coupe...hence the screen name). First thing I remember reading was that whole "It started in darkness..." piece. Realized that there were other people out there who were into old cars. So glad that you chose to post it again. Lurked for a super long time, until I felt brave enough to pull the trigger and join up. Been here for almost 12 years now, and never regretted it.

15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am with alchemy...I have a bee in my bonnet on this one too! Inquiring minds would like to know...something!...anything!

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I still kind of think I saw the car that day... I mean, I either saw the Mysterion or an old clone of it. A few leads popped up in Tulsa afterwards, but I was never able to substantiate any of them.

BUT, if I were a betting man... That car is sitting in a garage in Tulsa, OK right next to the long lost Stuart Hillborn roadster. In fact, I'd bet pretty good money on it.

Moriarity and Thor1 like this.
  17. Silva

Silva

Thats, because you are!

Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally remember this by the way... all shot with my Nikon F3. Still have them in a shoebox in my closet.

hillbilly and Sancho like this.
  19. BLAKE

BLAKE

When I joined in 2002, the people here were very mean to me just because I was different.

stillrunners, Tman, Silva and 4 others like this.
  20. Wow! What a trip! It's funny how some images can take you back. There wasn't even 3000 members when I started hanging out here. It was a quaint hang out then.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every day that goes by is another one to look back at. Theres a saying "never look back" but that does not apply here as if you didn't you will miss out on some gems from the past. Very happy to be part of the everchanging landscape of cool things to absorb around this massive force of all things Hotrod/Custom...The Hamb.

flamingokid and Bondo Slinger like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaaaa, that´s what kept me lurking for so long... But then I figured , a crowd who had a guy like Germ on board must have a great sense of humour and can´t be all that bad...I was right.

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” –Thornton Wilder
    And on that note ,Ryan, we are grateful for this treasure you call the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB.

hillbilly, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  24. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Damn I have been here since 2004. I took a break for a couple of years and didnt stop by due to spending too much time here and not getting anything done. I finally found a balance.

Stogy likes this.
  25. When I joined in 2007, I was a college graduate working at the University of Oklahoma, living in a one room apartment a stone's throw from President Boren. My dad, my hot rod hero, had just died of cancer and I inherited his 38 Chevy. I had some head knowledge about hot rods, but zero experience. Headlong in grief and and the daunting task of being the caretaker of a family heirloom was weighing heavy.

At the time I joined, I had no garage, I stored Dad's 38 in a friend's garage. But through this place I read, read and read and learned. Then I bought a basket case 40 Ford in 2012 and through the threads here learned everything I needed to know to get it going. Finished it in 2016. Building that car was an excellent education into Hot Rods!

Anyway, as I wax nostalgic, if it wasn't for the inspiration and the help of the people on this site, I'd probably not built that 40, and not met the close friends I've made over the years. Thanks for providing the space for that.

TagMan, Malcolm, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

BOOMER!

Dan Hay likes this.
  27. Mike

Mike

I've been on the HAMB since sometime in 1999, long enough to just have my actual name for my handle. I still have a Kustoms by TSR sticker on the vent window of my '63 Impala. The Arizona sun has take it's toll on it, but it's still barely readable. I can't bring myself to scrape it off.

P.S. McPhail sucks!

RPW and Tman like this.
  28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I browsed all of these graphics a while back on "thewaybackmachine". So neat Ryan what you have created here. Really pretty unbelievable in a wonderful way. You have a great way about you.

29. This brings back some good memories from the early days!
    What happened with Christian Verscharen and his site Primer?
    He had a good eye for graphic design in the early days of internet...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Cyclone Kevin likes this.