Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need a cot & conversation for overnight stays on epic road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVRRDUNN, Dec 28, 2017.

1. I'm in the planning stage of a solo month long cross country road trip in my 30 coupe starting in Oregon in mid July and ending up in Oregon mid August, via New York as the east terminus point...N.Greenfield to be exact ...as in Rolling Bones territory, and I'm looking for some kind hot rod folks that could let me crash at their place overnight for some rest and conversation to which I'd be eternally grateful. I'm just trying to do this on the cheap as much as possible, and I figure this would be a great opportunity to meet some like minded folks and eat a homecooked meal that I'd be glad to contribute to, and share our experiences and stories with each other. I'll have a sleeping bag with me. This is a bucket list trip for this 70 year old guy and I've wanted to do this for a long time, and I figure its now that time. I plan to drive through Twin Falls Idaho, Cheyenne Wyoming, York Nebraska, Stigler Oklahoma (visiting there with Sister in law to rest up for 3 days), Columbus Ohio, Warsaw N.Y. (to visit ancestral roots home), then N. Greenfield NY for 3 days rest up, then leave in early August with the Rolling Bones hot rod shop circus on their annual cross country road trip out to the salt flats and spend a few days there...then finally head home to Oregon. If you think you could help out, you can contact me at [email protected].. or point me in the right direction.

Gotgas, TFoch, 504640 and 11 others like this.
  2. redo32

redo32

Hey Steve, sounds like a great trip. I'm thinking you better leave the first of July. If the cities you mentioned are planned overnight stops, you'll be close to Lincoln Nb. you have to stop at Speedway's Museum. You won't believe all the neat stuff. We were there 20 years ago when we did our great across America trip on the motorcycle to Laconia New Hampshire. 8500mi in 3 1/2 weeks. That was before the internet & google maps, we took a Motel 6 and Super 8 book with us & had little problem finding a place when we were ready to stop. We were on a loose schedule, but could have spent more time at most places. We stopped at Mark Twain's and Abe Lincoln's houses. Indianapolis Speedway took one morning and regret not stopping at Wright Patterson, we were getting close to wife's family in western Pennsylvania. I took a side trip to the Harley factory and NSRA nationals in York, Pa. We swung through D.C., Annapolis and the City of Brotherly Love to see the Liberty Bell and waved at the Statue of Liberty as we headed north. During Bike week we did loops through all the New England states before heading home. Stopped at Niagara Falls and headed to the Rock & Roll HOF, it was closed when we got there Saturday afternoon and was closed
    Sunday, so we missed it. Pretty much bombed the rest of the way home.

We were lucky with the weather, but if I was in a hot rod in July and August I would sure think about air conditioning. When we took the '48 pickup to NSRA nationals in Louisville in August I was glad the air blew cold. But then if you're traveling with the hard core Rollin' Bones, you wouldn't want them to think you're a sissy. Have a great time. p.s. Love to Sandy!!

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

It sounds like a pretty neat trip. Are you going to stay on the Interstate, or will you be using mostly state highways?
    A small trailer with a tent might not be a bad idea, there isn't much room for "stuff" in a 30 coupe. There are a lot of places a guy can stop and catch some sleep along the road. A cooler and some light snacks make a road trip a bit easier and a little cheaper, I think.

We are pretty much out of the path your taking, but if you think you will be near me in Freeport IL on your cross country path and need a place to crash for a night, PM me with some details, we will see if we can match up schedules. Gene

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'll second the must see stop at the Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, Nebraska. Although, the Bones crew does usually go right through there on the way to Bonneville. Sounds like a fun trip!

5. Looks like ya got Okieland covered, have a fun trip.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. There is always beans in the pot and a couch for you here. I am on I-70 which is how I usually go from coast to coast. Although coming from Oregon you are probably going to want to go I-80 or I-90.

7. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going from Okla. to Columbus Ohio you should pass within about 25 miles of my place, north of Indianapolis. While late July, early Aug. is when we do most of our hot rod traveling, you would be welcome here if I am at home.

NVRRDUNN, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I envy you on your trip as that is what I am working toward doing. My little 46 Coupe is nearly complete as I have been setting it up for extended Hwy Cruising. I have a tiny 4' X 7' teardrop trailer that I can sleep in so a place to stay will not be a problem & I can pull into any trailer campground for a shower & such. Will save a bunch eliminating Motel costs & will keep my expenses to a minimum by doing Cereal & coffee for breakfast and the one sandwich meal from the cooler and buy one cooked meal each day while traveling.
    Good luck, Jimmie

9. topher5150

topher5150

I have a little pop up camper, but it sounds like I'd be a little out of your way.

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

If you stop in Oklahoma, have time and need something to do, I am in Stillwater which is a 2 1/2 hours drive one-way from Stigler, but we can go eat at Eskimo Joes and Ill take you for a ride in the 34 Sedan and the 49 Ford PU (providing I haven't taken them back apart).

loudbang likes this.
  11. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

I’m right off of I-80 on the Far East side of Indiana and only 20 minutes from the early ford V8 museum. Also have a shop if maintenance is needed.

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

We are about three hours east of Rolling Bones in rural Massachusetts but if you find yourself in the neighborhood, we would be happy to have you stay with us.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

York Is pretty close to the mayor. @383deuce you got a cot?

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just a little north of I-90 (NYS Thruway) in Rochester, NY and have a guest room / bath. Also have a well appointed shop with a lift, if you'd need it. Depending on when you'd be coming though, you'd be welcome here I tour a lot in the Summer. I'm a geezer, too and the wife's a great cook.

15. Yea and the most obvious route from York to Stigler is down I-135 right through Salina. That is a ways west of us. But is one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the US and the 10 safest driving cities in the US becomes interesting we'll be here. LOL

16. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Are you coming down i84? Ontario Oregon ? Let me know

17. Best wishes for a hot rod trip! Great idea, you're going to have a blast, I'm sure.

18. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Sounds like a awesome trip! A chance to meet many hambers & trade stories. If I were an envious person, I would be of you & this trip. Since I'm not that type, I'd settle for some stories along the way! Enjoy!

19. I will....stand by.

20. coming across from Bend to I-84 at Ontario but will be staying with my friend in Wilder Idaho, just south of Boise about 10 miles.

21. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I am in Idaho Falls, Idaho if you need anything along the way.

22. I'll get hold of Dennis......thanks for the tip!

23. Thanks Earl.....I'll jot your contact info in my log book.

48fordnut, lothiandon1940 and 54EARL like this.
  24. Thanks for the offer of the cot and the shop!! I'll be traveling straight through to Warsaw, NY that day as I want to spend 4-5 days there doing genealogy work on my family ancestors who lived there right after the Revolutionary War, before continuing on to Porters Corners/Greenfield area to join the Rolling Bones trip to Bonneville, which is my return trip home. I'll put your contact info in my log book if I need someplace to work on my car if something happens to it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  25. I'll get a hold of Dennis soon. Thanks....totally forgot he lived near there!!

Tim likes this.
  26. you are so kind to offer and thanks for that!! I will probably just stay right there in Greenfield/Porters Corner area and hang with Ken, Matt, & Keith til its time to leave.

27. I'll be on I 70, south of ya.....Thanks for that offer though...mighty nice of ya.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  28. Thanks for the offer, man, but I plan to just vegg and get rested up at my sister in laws place there in Stigler, before heading on to New York.

29. thats ok, mighty nice of ya to offer....and much appreciated, even if I cant take you up on it.

30. I too have a 5 x 10 teardrop I built last year for our trip to Bonneville, but I dont wanna drag a trailer on this trip....putting on a luggage rack in the hitch receiver and a small trunk mounted on it to put my gear in. Packing light. Spares and tools are in the car trunk. Looking to meet new friends on this trip and saving a few bucks by seeking a cot and a meal at a fellow hot rodders place.

spurgeonforge likes this.