Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New guy from Missouri

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roys40, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Welcome to the HAMB!
    Great story and great car!
    I love them like this one!
    IMHO, don't do too much.
    Car is too nice to restore.
    Good luck and enjoy the driving!

2. X2 don't restore it. Make it dependable.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just remember: The system has a Positive Ground. (battery connections, in case that sounded like something... profound)

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From your pictures the wiring doesn't look all that bad. Maybe the outside stuff might be a little crusty but under the dash and firewall look fairly good. She could use some enthusiastic cleaning with heavy soap and water underneath to see what else is really going on. I'd avoid heavy degreaser products like Gunk and others, maybe a 1/2 cup of Dawn in a cpl gallons of hot water and dollar store bristle brushes. A dirty job to be sure but if you want to make an omlette ya gotta break some eggs. On the positive ground, DON'T LET THAT GET TOO FAR INTO YOUR HEAD! By that I mean a good ground with clean connections and star washers, good "hot side" the same, clean and secure, all the same as NEGATIVE GROUND UNTIL YOU GET TO THE BATTERY. The majority of repro and gennie Ford stuff for your car will be ready for positive ground. Just exercise the same good mechanical practices and you'll be fine. Did I say I hate you a little? Not in a bad way, just that you have an awesome family hierloom there that many will never experience (ya lucky bastid;)). I'd recommend fixing things in stages, complete each fix before you get into something else. Easiest way to maintain it's pedigree. The interior looks awesome. Keep an eye out for new slip covers to preserve it for special occasions. Dammit, what an awesome car. You're in good company here and at fordbarn.

Roys40 likes this.
  5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Welcome aboard from Idaho and you will find many lovers of the 1940 Ford here... 0433c6_36c7ca59f11946c0993d856daadca5b2_jpg_srz_368_251_75_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg

Roys40 likes this.
  6. Adran

Adran

Welcome! Seems there's a good concentration of members in this state.

7. Roys40

Roys40

The wiring is deceiving for the most part it all looks really good just faded. As soon as you touch it the rope insulation crumbles and the barer wire is all u see. I tried to avoid moving anything but bulb replacement and the check on the dimmer switch both for the headlights and dash lights, as well as the stop light switch caused more damage than I thought that it would currently have it all taped up to keep it from arcing or grounding. The dash light dimmer moved that whole section of harness so most of them immediately crumbled. Fortunately I've already made my mistakes of not removing the power source before working on electric lol. So no damage to any gauges fuses or anything. Currently have all of the lights working and the switches working with the exception of the clock light and the parking lights. The courtesy lights are really cool they hadn't ever worked or the dash lights since I had been in the car almost 20 years ago. Took out the switch cleaned it up back in and works great lol. The break light switch still needs to be a dressed as I have it on a mechanical switch until I get to the brake work then will replace with an original. I'm at a loss on the clock and parking lights I assume that the wires between the switch and light are shorted somewhere and will be fixed with the new harness. As far as the interior the door panels and drivers seat are ruined. I met an upholstery guy through a old car friend of my grandfather who has a real shop and I'm goin to have him look at it and will report his recommended ideas to fix or restore. This site and fordbarn have been extremely helpful. And tomorrow I'm going to meet a member that lives close to me and has a 60x80 shop full of 32 to 50 cars trucks parts and unfinished projects! His health has declined and he knew my grandfather and wants to let me have a look and buy what I want/need. I'm very grateful and excited to have that opportunity! My wife not so much and said she will be going with me haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just don't make the mistake of restoring a survivor, you have but 1 chance at having this car in such good condition. Only repair what needs to be repaired and do that with the correct parts to the best of your ability and you will never regret it! Oh, and welcome to the HAMB :)

Roys40 likes this.
  9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Welcome from Nebraska. I just got back from a trip to Chesterfield to see Theresa's family for Christmas

Roys40 likes this.
  10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Welcome, I love 40 Fords also, even if they don't have a great history as yours does.

Roys40 likes this.
  11. Roys40

Roys40

So after Dick Stevens post and the highlanders post I started seriously thinking about what I was really going to do with the car. I want it to be a weekend driver as that is what my grandfather would say "it's a car drive it" he drove it on the weekends and I would like to do the same with my boys.my question is how much can I do to the car and keep it a "survivor" it has already been painted partially since he was a body man and just couldn't finish due to emphasema. The surface rust on the running boards is very concerning to me and the wiring makes me nervous about bare wires burning it down from an arc/ causing break downs. The survivor category has a lot of rules I believe are already broken with this car. Am I really hurting the uniqueness and originality of the car by using factory correct parts/ paint and rebuilding the motor w/ new gaskets and checking clearences and installing new bearings and seals, will replacing the original wiring with a cloth new harness that's installed verbatim where the old one was really put that at risk? Or is all the survivor stuff with making sure the parts that were installed at the factory really that important if I'm never going to sell this car and my son's sure as he'll better not either? I really want to do this right anymore input would be extremely helpful.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/1089728/

12. All I can do is tell you what I would do . Lots of good recommendations
    already. I would add a few.
    Your car can tell you tons more than most originals because you have
    all the documentation. From where I stand you need to decide whether
    the car is really for you or the next guy. I never really worry about the next
    guy myself, because how often can you enjoy "original"seats, headliner, dash etc?
    If it was mine I would try to just continue to use the car as it is and only
    do the regular routine stuff like change all the fluids and filters
    make sure the brakes are good,
    get safe tires, (save the ones that are on it) although I would probably
    try to wear them out!
    Maybe a set of hoses but just to carry around, maybe plugs.
    Clean out the gas tank if it has not run in a while. Forget any more painting.
    Wax every spot of paint you can find. Don't sweat the running boards,
    maybe new rubber covers.
    Sit on the seats without covers! Why not? Enjoy what you have.
    Forget the next guy. Much later you could always restore it,
    but then it would change the character.
    You are in a position I envy greatly.
    Cars like yours have been favorites of mine for over 50 years!
    Lucky guy!

Roys40, Dick Stevens and WTF really like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Also, if the wiring is deteriorating replace it and fix things that are a safety concern but don't just "restore" it! You do have a great time piece that should be enjoyed by you and your family. The connection between you and your grandpa thru this car can be treasured keeping it close to what he had done with the car when he was the keeper. Of course you ultimately have to make the choice of what you feel is right for you, not to satisfy me or anyone else, just give it thought and drive it and enjoy it like your grandpa would say to do.

Roys40 and Tony Martino like this.
  14. Roys40

Roys40

Thanks Toni and dick. I think that I'll talk to my mom and see if she can give me some more insight as to what to do. It's her dad's car and maybe she will be able to offer more insight as to what his plans were with the car. That's the thing for me is to keep it the way he wanted. I have other cars to use as projects and to play with lol. The whole reason I found the H.A.m.b was because all I did was research for ways to work on it without causing any or as little damag\change as possible. Getting this wrong is my worst nightmare and makes me second guess myself every time I put a socket on a nut or bolt on this thing lol. Thank you for your help

Sent from my K88 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tony Martino likes this.
  15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My old 40 sedan was a really cool surviving car; I drove it home from Washington state. It was all original except for 15 inch wheels, dropped axle and reversed springs which is what made the car so attractive, the stance. I nursed the wiring along and replaced all the nasty looking pieces but eventually I got tired of driving 50 mph so when I stumbled into a 51 8rt engine, I bought that and installed it and it was so much neater going down the road. A 100 hp engine was made for it. I covered the original seats with a cover as I figured the seat would wear fast as the material was so old. It was easy to remove the cover. Every winter I would improve the car with new glass, headliner, insulation and etc. But I never really changed the looks from when I bought it but the improvements made the car really stand out. Eventually I waxed it and it was again like another car. It was painted somewhere in the 50's and that paint was coming off so I had to primer some spots like the hood. I put a lot of fun miles on that car and I would still have it today if I wouldn't have had a chance to trade for a 32 roadster. PICT0350.JPG fortyford 001.jpg

bchrismer, catdad49, slim38 and 2 others like this.
  16. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Welcome from Rolla MO

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roys40 likes this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. jkski

jkski

welcome from MO.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wouldn't be much of a survivor if it suffered an electrical fire, right? Replacing with an OEM harness isn't a negative (no pun intended, I think), it simply ensures many years of safe driving. Anything that stays unmolested is part of it's story that began when Gramps got it. Running boards? Mine are natty looking on my 39 Std. While not a top priority I wish to do something in the future about em. It might be a "fix" with surfaced bedliner, might be new covers. My personal survivor dept on the 39 is the paint. I'm going new interior, 12V system (I want a sound system in it), comfort, safety, stance. Of course all seasoned with a bit of attitude since it's a hot rod 1st. That's me, my plan for MY car. And frankly, irrespective of the car's past it's now yours and respect comes in many ways. Even if you used a SBC and dropped axle, freshened the things you wish, do you feel you'll be "haunted" by the old memories? Don't think that I'm advising you to do that, it's just a question, making a point. Your "book" is on it's next chapter. How will it read?

Roys40 likes this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congrats on your golden oldie.
    Just clean it up and drive it as is.
    Welcome.

Roys40 likes this.
  21. Super cool story! I dig the sedan. Heck, I drove my coupe with boards like that for nearly 20 years, before dad wound up buying a set of new Drake boards for me, because he knew I wouldn't spend the money.

Do a rewire on it and plan on coming up to St Louis, in October, for the 5th Annual St Louis area Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Run.

Roys40 likes this.
  22. Roys40

Roys40

That is how I feel about it as well. It is mine now and while I'm goin to keep the 6v system,flat head and everything original as possible to a obsessed point. I have the written mixture for the paint he was using to repaint the car. My main concern is to make the car last as long as it possibly can and while not painting it would be nice and all realistic it would be more upkeep than I can really maintain between my daily vehicles and other projects and builds so new paint and rust removal would be a huge benefit. The door seals and trunk need attention bDly. But yes if I did something that poppy would have despised to his car it would most certainly haunt me.

23. I loved that sedan, but I think I have told you that before! LOL

chevyfordman likes this.
  24. Roys40

Roys40

25. Roys40

Roys40

I'll definitely be there if not in the 40 it will be in the 53. Hopefully whatever I decide to do is done by then

26. Great car! Lot of history keep it kool and drive it. I've spent some time in your part of the woods and still live close maybe we'll see each other on the road some day.

Roys40 likes this.
  27. Roys40

Roys40

It's amazing how many guys from Missouri are on here. This has been really fun and have already gotten a lot of great advice. I was just talking with my wife about how many members are from the state. She said I should reorganize the shop and invite everyone over to meet. Lol. She gets very annoyed with my constant car conversation sometime, but loves to go to my friends shop parties and let the kids run while she talks with the other wives. Hah I'm pretty sure that's her main reason for allowing the car projects with minimal complaint

28. Welcome from central Kansas. We are glad to have you on the H. A. M. B. !

Roys40 likes this.
  29. Roys40

Roys40

Started the car today and took the boys with me to get breakfast. It's cold today but my shop is heated so car started rite up. I pulled it out to let it warm up went inside to get the kids ready when I came back out there was a loud buzzing coming from the coil/distrubutor/generator? It never did stop. I also would hear a periodic clicking sound (reminded me of a relay opening and closing) checked all the system with the colt meter and everything checked out so I decided to drive it anyway (left kids home for safety) I pulled out of my driveway and went about 3 miles where I had to stop and turn at the intersection. !!!!!!!! Holy ***** no brakes!!! They worked fine in my driveway. Is it possible for the lines to freeze with the old fluid or is it that there is a build up of condensation in the system from over the years. Trying to figure out how to remove the floor plug to check the master cylinder.