Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. A lot of good going on there!

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nice work. I think those year Chevys are better looking than the fords Jealous.

3. brad2v

brad2v

So, a family friend, whom I've known my entire life, has a '36 Chev that he's owned since the mid 60's. I recall it being completed (I believe, at minimum, for the 2nd time, possibly 3rd under his ownership) around '84. As a result, I have a particular affection for them. His is apart again, undergoing a refurbish/color change, so it's very interesting watching 2 approaches to a build of a like body style. Yours of course, is coming together as a very traditional looking custom, my friends is, and has always been, a hot rod. Both, are incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing this.
    EDIT, I see I didn't have my stick on the ice here, yes, yours is a '37. I knew that, lol. Had a lapse looking at pics of the cab.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Haven't updated in a while as I have been travelling a bunch for work lately so my weekends have been spent with my family and not working on my truck but got the grill shell, grill and rad all assembled.

20171012_105010.jpg
    20171012_104958.jpg

Then I realized I had forgotten to add a hole in the upper piece (I knew it had to be done but just never got around to doing it then it slipped my mind)to fill the radiator so had to back track a bit.:oops:
    20171024_104755.jpg

5. This is kind of stepping outside the box of what I would normally do for this truck but my Dad built the hood hinges so I decided I would clean them up a bit more than I normally would. These needed to get done and installed before I could start loading stuff back under the dash as they mount from inside the cab.
    Before:
    20171105_092451.jpg
    After: The paint looks a bit ratty in these pics but i cleaned it up a bit even though these will barely ever get seen.
    20171105_093313.jpg

6. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

looking good. Love a 6 in truck, can't wait to see it all back together!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  7. Well I have been working on wiring and getting everything to fit under the dash so the progress pics haven’t been very interesting but I got the dash in today. Will probably have to take it out one more time for some little stuff under the dash but you can get an idea of what it will be like. I dropped the glovebox door and chipped the paint so it has to be repainted when it warms up.
    IMG_20171227_150341_628.jpg
    20171227_145608.jpg

Bandit Billy, bct, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Really like the work you are doing but I think I have been buried in the 50 for too long. What are the two 0 - 200 gauges and switches for in the glovebox area?
    mystery gauges.jpg

9. Thanks it's for stuff that shall not be mentioned on the HAMB.

Stogy, belair and Blue One like this.
  10. Had to edit my response to no response, forgot where I was at.

11. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Hmmmm,,,, you might not know but I am an old man and not used to this kind of stress! Now I'll be up all night looking around the net trying to match up the gauge faces so I can untangle the mystery. Keep up the great work and your posts,,, you're project is one very interesting saga. bob

12. HAHA Bob it's the gauges and switches for the air bag suspension in the truck. I try and keep it on the down low as it it's not really allowed on here but I started posting pictures of my build before that became a hard rule so hopefully little stuff like this will be allowed to slide. Thanks for the kind words I appreciate them!

13. LOL I try and keep the off topic stuff out of my pictures but sometimes little stuff like this slides in. Hopefully no one will have too big a problem with it. ;)

Blue One, Stogy and brad2v like this.
  14. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Thanks,,, eyes were already strained from Summit squint pictures of gauges. I fully understand. Had couple of my posts on lighting pulled due to apparently offending someone because I was not using right type of light bulbs. Do you have a formal paint shop? If not, how do you get the dash painted without dust pips! or are you rubbing all the painted surfaces out after each coat?

15. Just paint it in my garage. Been lucky so far with the small stuff not being too bad and I am not building a show car so I just live with a few minor imperfections.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. cretin

cretin

Great to see some progress Ian, I've been wondering what was going on over there.

17. Looking great man!
    Lets look at the good side of the glovebox door incident.
    It's not the outside colour.

Looking so forward to seeing it in spring, which can't get here fast enough.
    It's colder than a whores heart down here!!!

Blue One, rodncustomdreams and brad2v like this.
  18. Haha thanks Kelly. Yeah it's supposed to get down below -30 tonight up here. Not fun.

Blue One likes this.
  19. Thanks Kyle slowly plugging along.

20. cretin

cretin

I can identify with that!

21. Well once again it has been a ridiculously long time since my last update. I have been working on a bunch of stuff that really isn’t very interesting picture wise like bleeding brakes, wiring, fixing issues that came up due to short-sightedness or just plain inexperience on my part. My goal was to have this thing ready for the second week of August for the big local car show but I didn’t make it due to a number of set backs and a back injury. So here is where I am at currently.

One of the set backs was my radiator was shot so I needed to get a new one and due to the fact I had modified the factory one I figured it was easier to start with a kit so I ordered one (lost parts with that was another delay) and had @Blue One weld it up for me. And then hunted through the local NAPA for hoses that fit. Its kind of in disarray right now because when I went to fill it will coolant this week I found out I had forgotten to tighten down the water pump bolts and well ….you can probably figure out how that went. Larry nothing leaked on the radiator. :D

[​IMG]

Painted my gas tank and the parts for it and installed it.

[​IMG]

And as mentioned got the brakes and clutch bleed so that meant I could finish the under dash wiring and install it. I am going with an MG steering wheel as a nod to my Dad who was a big British car guy (especially MG’s I have his ’62 Landrover 109 as well in line to restore) so I had to make an adaptor for that. I found some cabinet knobs that I thought had a nice Art Deco look to them so I had to modify those for various controls, headlights, choke, glove box and heater controls. I am still trying to find a final metal D clip to do the last knob on the heater controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that is where I am at now. My plan was to try and start it this weekend before I started putting fenders and hood and such on but the screw up with the water pump means I am at least a week away from getting a new gasket to fix my mistake and then put it all together again. I am still really hoping to get this done, minus the full interior, before winter but we shall see how many other setbacks pop up.

Barn Hunter, bct, Blue One and 9 others like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks amazing...takes time...yours is well spent...

23. This truck has come a long way! Looks great.

24. Well time for another small update. I have been fighting leaks in everything lately. The water pump fought me like crazy (ended up replacing it) and after having had fluid in it for almost 2 months the differential started leaking so things have been moving at a snails pace.
    Anyways around all that I realized that when I changed my gas tank plans it meant there were some cutouts in the bed floor where the old mounts struck through that I would have to do something about. I thought about just replacing the boards with new ones but then I came up with the idea to make a kind of bumper in the bed to give a little bit of protection to the gas tank on the off chance I ever carry anything back there so I decided to design the mounts to cover the holes and make a nerf bar type deal. This is what I came up with.
    20181013_151000.jpg
    20181013_151009.jpg
    20181013_153526.jpg

25. brad2v

brad2v

Looks great, and a clever solution to a problem with multiple right answers. Well done amigo.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Well this thing has been fighting me every step of the way going back together so I took a bit of a break from it as I was getting frustrated and didn’t want to screw something up out of anger. I got it to the point where I was ready to put the back fenders on so I am working on that this weekend. I made up some white welting (thought it would match nicely with the white rubber for the running boards) and with the help of my wife got the passenger side almost done. I still need to figure out how to get the hubcaps on the wheels either modifying the caps or buying different wheels and I am not sure if I am going to paint the centers or leave them plain and if I decide to paint what colour. Body colour or the Blue I used in the interior and engine bay? We will see.
    IMG_20181215_162353_584.jpg

27. bct

bct

looks great .

K13 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  28. cretin

cretin

Glad to see you back at it Ian.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

K13 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  29. Thanks guys. Driver side done and off the jack stands.
    20181216_154433 (2).jpg 20181216_161513 (2).jpg

Barn Hunter, brad2v, cretin and 6 others like this.
  30. belair

belair

Smoooooth^^^^

K13 likes this.