Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Upset

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordnut, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

When you build ,sometimes you find a good deal knowing it is what you need. When the time comes to use the item 4/5 mos down the road it is not what it is supposed to be or cracked, unusable..Some times this happens and you /me ,gets me upset . Seems like others should try treating how they would like to be treated. I know buyer beware.
    Sorry.
    Happy New year.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Tell us a story, 48fordnut... what's got you down?

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. what the deal man ? fill us in ?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. We're here for you.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Some one sold me a set of F1 pedals that aren't. Didn't use them for 5/6 mos, and now that I am ready for them they are wrong. Same thing with a flat head intake that they had for a while, sold it to me , again when I got ready to use found a crack on the underside.
    I guess I had better start looking at things a lot closer when I get them. If I sold something and the o/p was upset I would return the money, or at least make it right.

Thanks for listening.

6. Yeah, It's a rough deal alright. We have to remember we're dealing with sometimes 50, 60 or 80 year old parts, not something that came out of a factory recently. Then there's the situation where someone may be selling something thinking it's one thing when it's actually something else. Good luck, maybe you can sell the pedals and recoup some of your investment. You might be out of luck with the intake unless it is saveable.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I buy & sell on "that auction site", every once in a while a buyer doesn't like an item, nothing "big buck", but the window of returning anything should be a week or so. If you look at something five months after you bought it, few people will aaccept a return. Bob

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

All good advice. The o/p with the intake had it for sale for a while before I bought it. It was what I wanted and a reasonable price. When I showed it to another person they brought the crack to my attention. It can be used ,but I would not have sold it. I would not have paid half price for it. It was a f/h intake.
    I'll just suck it up and remember buyer beware.
    That's all folks. Happy New Year.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hopefully the cracked intake was an oversight by the seller and not misrepresented You did mention that you hadn't noticed it but a friend did. Since the crack is on the underside, can you TIG it and call it a day? At least it's not on the money side of the intake.
    Like Lothian said, maybe the seller thought or was told they were F1 pedals and perhaps you can sell them. Post up some pics, I bet a HAMBer will quickly I.D. them so you know what to list them as.

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

The pedals are F2.
    Thanks for the reply.

11. 5window

5window

Well, maybe the seller thought they were F1 pedals-just like you did-and wasn't trying to rip you off at all. Again, maybe the seller thought he was selling a good intake. In either case, five months after the sale, you really can't be moaning too much. It's too bad, but you had the opportunity to look at both items before you bought them and, again, right after you bought them. It would be nice if the seller was honest, and maybe they were, but the burden is on you. Lessons learned, I guess.

trollst likes this.
  12. Were the parts purchased from a Hamber? HRP

13. ...what difference between F-1 & F-2 pedals?

14. I have had this happen too many times in the past. Sometimes buying ahead of time isn't as good of an idea as it seems.

lothiandon1940 and 48fordnut like this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Yes on the intake. Pictures don't always tell the tale.
    The f2 pedals have a larger mounting attachment.
    I had not seen any F1 pedals other than pics.so I did not know what I was looking at. Just relieing on the o/p knowledge.

16. Have you asked?

Ben

17. 2935ford

2935ford

I hear ya.
    Been there done that a couple more times than I want to remember..........
    Mostly, I can blame myself for not being careful enough and knowing enough and asking lots of questions and doing way more research.
    Also have done that when buying from "major" vendors who sell these parts as "replacement for original" then months later when I'm ready for that part find out it is not even close to the original or a very cheap imitation of it!

To me now......just part of the build process and figure some dollars for it in the budget.

Happy New Year all!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some people like to play expert, I don't, and correct ads and listings. There are guys with skills that look for broken parts they can buy at half price or lower and fix. Research what you plan to buy, ask questions, check feedback, jump on rare stuff, pass on common stuff if there are questions. Bob

WiredSpider likes this.
  19. Sometimes it's a learning experience..... You're not alone.....

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I know speed parts, but not something I haven't ever seen. You have to trust the other persons honesty.

22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trusting the other person's honesty can be a bit of a stretch. Maybe the seller was operating on what he was told. Maybe he is an old guy like me that sometimes cannot remember details. Maybe you should do a little more research on what you're looking for. Unless you are 100% positive that the seller screwed you (and how do you know?) you had simply had a bad experience. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

If the part bothers you, you could bring it over here and add it to the parts that "I thought would work" pile.

egads and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Lone I have that wall of wall hangers also. Did all the research possible. Pics can only do so much. The parts are close in looks.
    I'm just calling it a bad experience, and won't deal with that person again.
    Over and done with.

lonejacklarry likes this.
  24. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Some times it works out for the best, I just sold what I thought were 36 Ford front toe boards with clear photos, turns out they were not so I offered the money back. Then the purchaser had a friend look at them and found them to be 36 Ford engine splash pans which he needed so he kept them. Everyone was happy.

48fordnut likes this.
  25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I don’t care if it was a year later. If I sold an item where I mistakenly misrepresented it. I would definitely want it returned to me. Ll

lothiandon1940, wraymen and 48fordnut like this.
  26. ...thanks for the info, learn somethin everyday...

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's the right attitude guys, get over it and on with the build.

The "I thought it would work pile" is part of our car building hobby. We buy parts that don't quite fit or get set aside in favor of an alternate choice. We all have extra parts that we can't/won't use.
    Car swap meets (and now the internet) are for peddling your unused parts. Swap meets are full of parts that didn't fit or parts that were replaced with something that was more to the liking of the owner. Wheels/tires, headers, gears, speed and suspension parts, gauges, etc. Some of the best stuff for us hails from being pulled off other cars, such as a perfectly good 327/Muncie pulled from a muscle car to make way for an LS swap.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've had long talks with lots of people in the industry about this very thing... One of the hardest (if not the hardest) things even new manufacturers have to deal with is customers that buy stuff that won't be used until 6 months or even a year down the road. Then, they have a problem and expect to be able to return the item.

Let's use tires as an example. Coker does a really great job in my opinion from a CS standpoint... especially with HAMB members. However, I know of a story of a guy that bought a set of tires from them in 2015 and didn't get his car finished and on the road until almost a year later. At that point, he had a problem balancing them and wanted a full refund.

In this case, Coker helped him out with replacements... But should they have been obligated too? I mean, how was Coker to know where and how these tires were stored for a full year?

It's a really tough position for companies, much less individual private sellers, to be put in. In my opinion, if you buy something that far in advance and don't thoroughly check it out, you own the problem - not the seller. In reality, it's the only way for this economy to really work and scale.

29. wicarnut

wicarnut

I see from your profile you are 78, surely, if you playing with cars this long you should be used to today's times/people. Myself at 70 have noticed a HUGE change through the years in the way things are done today, backup in my life time, a Man's word and handshake meant something, Mine Still Doe's, a factor not common in business, personal dealings anymore IMO. Don't sweat the small stuff, Enjoy the Hobby, still many good people in this world and our Hobby.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    5window and wraymen like this.
  30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Ryan thanks for chipping with your thoughts .

Tires and consumables I can fully understand. The other is questionable. I would always stand behind used parts that were not installed .
    There have been some very helpful cases discussed and I am thankful for them.
    I should not have started this and wish I could close it.