Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which manual trans behind a 392 Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grims, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Grims

Grims

What 5spd transmissions are being used/recommended behind a 392 Hemi. I am building a 30 Model A tudor sedan. Engine has mild cam, 10:1 compression, headers. I will be using it for spirited driving
    to work and on weekends. Maybe once or twice on the drag strip but mostly just driving around. I have
    a 9 inch with 3.70 lsd.
    Thanks for any input.
    Grims

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

T56, TKO600.

I am partial to the T56, because they are easy to find and upgrade. I even put a spare one in my Falcon.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe
    from Central Ca

I'm running a TKO600 behind my Hemi using a Hot Heads trans adapter and flywheel. I have a similar engine and rear end set up. Transmission shifts smooth with no issues so far.

4. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

TKO600. They are hard to beat.

5. gobybike

gobybike

I’m building a healthy 392 right now and want to row my own gears but DAMN a TKO ain’t even close to what I can afford after the hemi build bills. Even an unknown one on CL is 3k plus.

I will be taking Gimpy’s advice and looking for a T56.

J

6. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Dodge Dakota AX15 5speed. Go find 73RR on this site. He makes an adapter and can tell you what parts to buy from Rockauto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

If a TKO is 3 grand,
    I'd get a T56 Magnum. Stronger, 6 gears, and $100 more

donrob likes this.
  8. i ran a richmond 5spd with over drive as the first trans. after breaking first gear i stepped up to a g-force gfr-5 speed clutch assist. its the best trans i ever owned. they are not cheap but they can handle 1200hp power. i opted for the magnesium case that saves 15 pounds. i also got it full roller bearing with polished gears. they offer hundreds of gear ratio options. a conventional h-pattern shifter is offered or a inline shifter. any input spline is available. being a mopar guy i went with a 18-spline. i used a mcloud dual disc street twin clutch with a mcloud hydraulic release bearing. i rounded it out with a quick time bell housing that saves 15lbs over a small block mopar lakewood scatter shield.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either that or get a used Camaro T56 for $800-1200. A pro rebuild from by favorite shop is $1400, $1850, $2750, depending on expected power level, topping out at 750lb-ft, at the rear wheels!

Hnstray and chadhollem like this.
  10. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I have had the privilege of running a T6060 behind an angry 528 Hemi ...now I am running a Tremec 5speed behind a 392. Took it on Power Tour last year. Real nice. Upgraded the clutch this year. All the stuff, including their hydraulic setup is from American Powertrain.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.