Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Christmas, what did all the good H.A.M.B.ers get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 25, 2017.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,

I guess it all comes back around like the old days. Once you start playing with toys, it never ceases, it just gets better and more creative. NICE STASH ! Your family knows you well... That red, hot rod coupe looks very familiar. Since I hinted around for a real life size 40 Ford Sedan Delivery to the highest power around here (and getting a big chuckle,) I knew it was probably not reality coming up. But, one could hope for a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery number 3 after 42 years?
    upload_2017-12-26_5-8-34.png
    But, instead, look what was under the tree. A cool Ford F100 truck, a 55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop, and a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. Immediately, mods ran through my mind. Chop the truck, paint it Tahitian Red and make it the custom Ford Truck from 1956 in my old Long Beach neighborhood. The sedan delivery has many possibilities. The 55 Bel Air, well, there was one that always stood out from way back then that was the envy of our whole teenage group…but that would take lots of research and work.

Junji

The most intriguing item was not the cars, but the clear plastic cover for the sedan delivery. So, leave it to someone to like the wrapping more so than the actual present. Back when remote control cars were the latest fad with unlimited mods, I modified several race cars and trucks. But, the paint jobs always started with clear Lexan bodies. When the paint was applied on top, it chipped at every roll over or bump into a rock.
    upload_2017-12-26_5-10-14.png It may work, it may not, but it is there for the challenge.

So, the painting, detailing design was always applied from underneath, backwards from normal painting. Writing was backward, the designs came first, then the solid paint colors next. Thin spray, thin pinstriping, thin flames withstood the bashing from hot, modified 4x4 powerful R/C racing, not thick layers of paint. That process just chipped off easily.

The problem with this new, little, sedan delivery challenge would be that it is so dang small that backwards detailing may be impossible. But, who knows…it will be a very time consuming project. Maybe a simple paint and logo on the side would be the easiest. I would be able to just drop this painted body onto any fitted chassis/wheel combination for unlimited design and play time, once it is finished. Woohoo!
    upload_2017-12-26_5-14-22.png
    upload_2017-12-26_5-14-35.png
    Old paint sample styles and colors on previously clear Lexan bodies from years ago.

2. S10_37

S10_37

351w block bored .030 cleaned new cam bearings freeze plugs. To hard to get under the tree

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Well just a little bit. A local kid who I have helped in the past has had a lifelong dream of owning an A sedan. There is a lot involved in this story and I hate to bore everyone, so I am just hitting the high spots. I really want to brag about the kid some but will save that for a later date. LOL

Long story short, Me and @Tim and the kid went for a little trip, the I kid ended up with my A sedan ( a more traditional build is in the wings) and I ended up with the little race car.

There is a lot to the little car actually, really neat chit. And when I say little car it is an understatement. I never realized how little these cars were. Suffice to say that me and @flamedabone are probably not taking a road trip in this car and we really like each others company. I think that me and @raven would be a tight fit.

Here is a pic of me sitting in it, sort of. DAEF049C-73E5-44A6-9DC5-61A72E40A354.jpeg

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since mine were stolen with the Austin...I got Dad a new 20 volt Dewalt drill and impact set. That way I can use them...lol!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I see some pretty cool appointments already. Definitely worthy of it's own thread/story when the time comes!
    Looks like ya done good, congrats.

6. Sometimes you just get lucky I think.

Stogy likes this.
  7. reefer

reefer

Got a message telling me my parts for the 36 were ready for collection...going over Twixmas to pick them up.

8. mountainman2

mountainman2

Got another tool chest that was needed to restore peace in my shop. There is now a demilitarized zone between the SAE and Metric tools. Any sockets defecting to the other side will be executed!:eek:

9. My parents got me a new air compressor. My old one sounded like it was about to explode. I've over-used it several times over the years running tools and sand-blasters it really wasn't rated for in extended sessions.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,

Grand kids are the coolest. Not only are you proud of your own kids, but Grandma and Grandpa get to live their childhood stuff over again. For the last 12 years, we have been with our granddaughter, growing up and having fun at the same time. She is a wonder. Like all grandkids, they see the world as a huge play land and with support, will turn out to be something special. Being a proud grandparent is the tops. (you can thank your kid(s), later)

Recently, our 12 year old granddaughter got the lead role as Clara in a Winter Nutcracker performance. It is one of those roles that only has a small time line in age and performance. My wife and I were beaming as she took the stage. We are all proud grandparents in this game of life.

Jnaki

When she asks me to teach her to drive in a couple of years, that will make me happy. (her parents driving skills and knowledge are sort of lacking…) Keep those grandkids happy and productive! Her Secret Santa gift was a short story about how much fun it was growing up, staying at our house and doing things with us. It brought a tear to our eyes. (Along with one of those “pick up small things” extension tools with a built in light…now, I can find stuff that fell behind the cabinets, too.)

P.S. I knew your photo looked familiar. This little red coupe was stashed in the back of my garage cabinet drawer, along with a bunch of parts. I haven’t seen it for quite some time.
    upload_2017-12-26_8-37-25.png upload_2017-12-26_8-37-49.png upload_2017-12-26_8-38-1.png If we were to have built this real version after Aug. 1960, it would have been towed by our 1958 Impala.

11. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a Crosley close to us that is set up the same way. Has a 12cyl jag engine and lots of neat homemade parts on it. When I see it out, I will send you some pics. It is orange but looks like same wheelbase, exposed wheels, etc.

12. My wife bought me a plane ticket to go to the Turlock swap meet next month

I semi-restored this old Schwinn Pixie for my son, I was pretty excited to give it to him. I think he was excited to get it haha

0D711302-571E-46B9-BC96-EEA20651A28E.jpeg 90D2E9D2-42DE-4AA5-A8D1-02E514D20EF5.jpeg

13. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My wife and I got each other a new big screen HP desk top computer that we really needed. We have five grandsons, aged from 3 to 18 so the house was full of fun all weekend with lots of new toys for me and the boys to play with. My daughter got me one of those stair climber carts that will come in handy and her and my son bought me another year on my satellite radio in my OT Silverado. I had bought myself a Ruger 357 stub nose pistol just before Christmas so my son-in-law and my son both bought me ammo for it.
    I enjoy the season and being with the family and all the good food but I am always glad to have it over and for things to get back to normal. Does that make me a Grinch or just plain old asshole?

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Shoe laces and socks.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the opportunity to cook a big Christmas dinner at my friend Judy's restaurant for about a dozen local folks who basically had nowhere else to be for Christmas. I LOVE it.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

Got an old Godden speedway engine. Going into my avatar for Bonneville next year.

[​IMG]

17. Deuces

Deuces

It's got my initials cast into it...:)

Stogy and firingorder1 like this.
  18. Yea they commonly have the wheels outside the sheet metal. They just were not very big, I read someplace that they were considered to be a sub compact. Hell from what I can gather the original power plant was only 45 cubes.

Love to see the pics if you happen onto it. Be fun to see 'em.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Got graphics for my OT 70 funny car.
    IMG_7707.JPG

20. Good man. HRP

chryslerfan55 and 50 customcoupe like this.
  21. LOL I am certainly no expert on the subject but I would just about guess that any funny car that anyone short of being John Force could afford would probably get a pass. So Funny Car minus the OT would be fine with me. ;)

Signage looks good by the way. ;)

22. Deuces

Deuces

autoworld-hotrod-afx-tabasco-55-chevy_1_b00cc8d8ab037a11f0848d548a1cda84.jpg Got the A/FX "Tabasco" '55 Chevy gasser slot car....
    This one I got for myself...:rolleyes::) autoworld-hotrod-afx-tabasco-55-chevy_1_b00cc8d8ab037a11f0848d548a1cda84 (3).jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  23. trollst

trollst

Sometimes.....being an old fart is a real asset. For years been gonna change the too wide rear end in my 36 pickup, so this is the winter after 20 years to do it. Originally, I used 78 pinto rear springs, they worked well, so after the teardown and inspection, I discovered a broken main leaf, otherwise known as disaster. Called around, all said good luck, they'd make me a set, around a grand, or so.....then called Vancouver axle and frame, Matt answered, cried to him, he said, hold on, I'll go get the old guy here.

Steve comes to the phone, I cry my best horse tears, he says Hot Rod? I love hot rods...I'll call you back. Ten minutes later, he found my springs, brand new, for 2/3 the price quoted by the other spring guys. Jumped in the truck a week later, ran down 3 1/2 hours, picked up a set of brand new 78 pinto springs, and they fit like a glove, saved me a ton of reengineering. Best gift ever, even if I got it for myself.....

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ricky,

It is GOOD to see you around here. Merry Christmas brother.

Steve

Marcia and 1956 F100 like this.
  25. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

we need to know more about this...

26. Can't tell you anymore cause it off topic, hey, I used to live in Ohio!!

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

I hear ya.....im sure it would get a pass:D.....maybe another time....

28. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

My son and I got matching winter coats. Snazzy!

Attached Files:

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

My wife and I decided we don't need a damn thing! But some dogs at the local shelter got a good Christmas donation.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  30. Deuces

Deuces

You^^^^^da man! ;)

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.