Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small garages and how you heat them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Duellym

Duellym

Hey guys, I hope you're all having a merry Christmas.
    Anyways I was wondering how you guys make do with having a small garage? I know personally a major problem I seem to have is a severe lack of space, of course my truck isn't the only thing in my garage we have other tools that seem to take up a lot of room.

Also on a side note, I've been looking at ways to heat mine, currently there's an old school pot belly stove in the middle of it but according to my father it's a fire hazard because there's no air gap between the asbestos board behind it and the wall, there's also a lot of dust oil and grease, along with some old fiberglass insulation sticking out around the windows where they were never finished so having an open flame out there doesn't seem like a great idea.

Thanks.

2. garageheaater.jpg
    This hang-on-wall heater puts out a BUNCH of heat but can be turned down to just take the chill off. It was a Christmas present about 25 years ago but I think it was bought at Sears. It usually takes about 3 refills of the bottle [$17] to get me through winter.
    Requires no wires, pipes, flues or any of that shit.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    28Hud, verno30, sswagon and 6 others like this.
  3. carryallman

carryallman

100_1832.JPG i got this val6 chinese diesel fuel job -does a lot better than my kero/diesel fuel "remington " torpedo unit !

Spotweld likes this.
  4. RATTYFLATTY

RATTYFLATTY
    from Central MN

I don't know what you consider small but I have a 24' x 30' 2 car garage. I heat with a 95% efficient 100,000BTU natural gas house furnace that has a sealed combustion chamber I picked up off Craigslist for $100 about 8 years ago. I have about $100 into the install and it has a 16" x 24" footprint.

5. Cleveland Coupe

Cleveland Coupe

I have a Cozy propane fired thru the wall unit that I purchased for my 2 car garage in 2001. It works great for 17 years so far and takes up a very small space. I also run off a grill type 40 lb tank.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. Cleveland Coupe

Cleveland Coupe

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sswagon likes this.
  7. 33essex

33essex

Depends on what you consider a small garage. I heat my shop 26x32 with a used Mobile home oil furnace. Heats fast,but my shop is insulated top to bottom. IMG_20171001_120110.jpg

Wurger and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. [​IMG]

My garage is 18'x24' and not insulated and I live in South Dakota. This heater works great but I have to leave it running or the garage cools off nearly instantly.

28Hud and sswagon like this.
  9. Adran

Adran

I live above a 2 car garage and the garage space is basically heated with whatever leaks through the insulation. It's 72 up here, probably 55-60 down there and 30 outside. And it's air conditioned the same way in the summer. Pretty handy.

10. Pete

Pete

I heat with liquid gold, #2 heating oil

Ceiling hung furnace,, gets the shop Africa hot with no insulation.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  11. Outdoor Mahoning wood/coal hot water does both the whole house forced air and both floors of the 32' X 30' garage with overhead heat exchangers on both floors.

12. 52lomofo

52lomofo

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

14. impala4speed

impala4speed

28Hud, GreaserJosh13 and Bugguts like this.
  15. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I'd use an old school pot belly stove with a piece of asbestos between it and the wall.

craig b blue and Fabber McGee like this.
  16. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

24x32 garage heated with a free electric furnace from a buddy that put in a new furnace and A/C.
    Has three heating elements but I only hooked up 2 of them, all I need since furnace was made for
    a 1600 sq ft house. Find an old mobile home being dismantled and get the electric furnace, just right
    for a small garage...if you have 60-80 amps to run it AND it is well insulated.

17. I fought the heat & cold for years with fans & kerosene heaters,I even used a kerosene blast furnace when it was very cold.

I finally insulated the shop and installed a used motel heat and air electric unit,worked great and with heavy use the bill averages 26 to 35 bucks a month. HRP

18. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Stacked cedar 25x25 garage, I use a wood stove through the window.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

craig b blue likes this.
  19. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Hang on 7 brick gas wall heater with window fan on top shelf for circulation. More than enough heat for adverage 2 car garage.

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

My shop is roughly 1800 square feet or big enough to easily get 8 cars into it and just the ceiling is insulated. I used a wood stove for awhile, one of the bigger warm morning stoves but it never got the shop warm. It was good for about 20° above outside temp. Not warm enough to paint in and that was another problem. I used to do a lot of painting so it seemed one side of the car would always be warmer than the other side and I didn't like the idea of open flame and paint in the air.

I live out in the country and looking for efficient ways to heat it now. House is on propane but that gets expensive. Thought about trying a kerosene heater next.

21. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

You guys with wood burning stoves in the garage make me nervous. is.jpg

22. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I'll take wood over illegal propane bottle in my shop any day.

23. Wrench666

Wrench666

In 1995 we had a garage fire and lost everything. Insurance tried to blame the wood stove but when they opened the door on the stove that wood was the only stuff that wasn’t burnt Turns out the oil furnace blew up and burnt the shop to the ground
    My little pic is the large size acetylene tank that exploded and took out the beam so the shop collapsed. We found the tank in the box of my almost completed rebuild of a 73 c10 shortbox with 454. Worked on that truck from 12yrs old till I was 18. I’ll take wood any day.
    Andrew

24. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Sorry to here that wrench. Hope you bounced back.

25. Wrench666

Wrench666

Only built one more for myself since then 1987 Chevy 4x4. Lost that one in a wreck Turns out rock cuts are tougher than pickups. Kids and divorce got in the way after that Starting on my 27 T this year

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I moved to my current location I had a 28x34 shop that I had well insulated and the wood burning furnace out of a prior house which worked well. I found out after the fact that the insurance company was not a fan of wood stoves. My current shop is also well insulated 40x50 shop and at 70+ years cutting wood or using pallets ain't my idea of fun. We put in a new electric furnace (I liked the idea of finding a used one, the electric furnace in our house lasted 4o years) and then later added A/C, I don't think it impacted our electric bill but in this area electricity is decently priced. I don't believe you find many sparks in an electric furnace either.

27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

28. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Well, it’s just how we live, wood burning stove in the house too, It gets pretty expensive for kerosene or propane, wood permits are $10 a cord. Everything is insured, though it would suck to loose everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

caseywheels likes this.
  29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That propane wall unit is a super good unit . Propane is 2500 BTU / cu ft . 2 1/2x hotter than natural gas . 1 gal = 36.19 cu ft . A grill tank is filled by weight 4.33 lb / gal. Or 20 lb tank . Not the most effective way to purchase your fuel but it works . A 100 lb tank delivered from a local Propane Company , delivered or filled in the summer when Propane is cheap is your best answer .

30. Never2low

Never2low

20 x 14
    Went from drywall but uninsulated, and one of the forced air propane cannons.
    Got warm enough, but hated it because of how loud it was.
    Insulated with new drywall, this summer.
    Now I've got one of these.
    [​IMG]

Love it!
    Quite as a church mouse.
    Puts out more heat than I expected.
    It's self contained, with the 20lb bottle strapped in the back.
    It's got wheels so you can move it right where you work.