Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What are 5 of your favorite TRADITIONAL hotrods of all time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 3, 2017.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

The one I just finished . The next in line to get worked on. The one I just sold as the money is in my hand. The one I am buying as the money goes out and my Avatar photo.

Jet96 and BrerHair like this.
  2. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic, Jet96, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

596px-Doyle-gammell-1932-ford.jpg

Just impossible (for me anyway) to know about all these great hotrods. Thanks for the education! Great choice here, the Doyle Gammel 3-window.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK so now I have to go back to TRJ issues 63 & 64 and get caught up. Thanks @Tom davison for adding Tom Prufer's Cop Shop Coupe to the mix!
    34copshopcoupeback.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I still think the Doyle coupe should be the Dick Bergren coupe. He did the orig. build and made the look. Just my opinion though.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for setting the record straight. Here is an article Kevin Lee wrote about it:
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0910rc-1932-ford-coupe/
    And here is an excerpt from that article:
    The name that can be the foundation for this entire tale is Doyle Gammell, but he will tell you himself this story does not begin and end with him alone. When it comes to the historic hot rod this tale revolves around, the car itself has always been a bit of a mystery. The earliest known record begins when a ’32 Ford three-window coupe came into Dick Bergren’s life in the early Sixties. At that time the car was just another hot-rodded old car whose origins were not important and now have been forever lost to the march of progress. It wasn’t long before a young Dick would write his own history with his new possession as he proceeded to personalize his ride.
    It would be Dick who would make the important changes that would forever make this one ’32 Ford so special and give the coupe its beloved personality. His first major change was the modification of the top. Armed with only a hacksaw and a natural sense of what is “right,” Dick unknowingly created the ultimate chopped top which still captivates hot rodders to the point Bobby Walden offers brand new ’32 coupe bodies with this exact chop from his shop Walden Speed. A detail most who loved the coupe from its 1963 Rod & Custom feature could not appreciate was the rich metallic Cordova Brown paint Dick had the coupe coated in

[​IMG]
    coupe01.jpg
    coupe02.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's a great hotrod, and great story.
    403179-1343593523-057f9fe310d292d673f0c9fa97e743ee.jpg
    p116170_image_large.jpg

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please allow me to take a one-post detour on a site navigation item.

Ryan really has built an incredible site here with powerful tools, in fact there are so many tools and layers to the site that most of us use only a fraction of what is available. I know I only use a fraction. Here is one tool that will enrich your HAMB experience. Most of you probably already know this, but here it is for all to enjoy:

One of the great tools is the ability to bring in quotes from other threads, into the current thread. This makes for a great cross-reference resource and archival tool.

Click on the red arrow in any quote and it will take you to that quote. In this example below (from post #138), if you click on the red arrow in the quote from @metalshapes, it takes you to a thread from Ryan in 2008 about the Collegiate Coupe.

upload_2017-12-23_9-17-25.png

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Today's Top 5 for me.
    1932 Ford Vicky_ Vulcans CC_ 1950s.jpg bo jones.jpg Hisso.jpg McMullen.jpg sideways.jpg

Subject to change without notice

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes, that is one of my all time favorite 3.
    The others are the Chrisman Coupe, and 'lil John's 3W ( Yep... the one that started the Billet craze.
    The only cool Billet car, as far as I'm concerned.
    By the time the Vern Luce coupe was built that style was already going stale, for me,...)

BrerHair likes this.
  11. LTM75110

LTM75110

Well.Let's just say Bruce Meyer owns most of them.....Jakes coop and Pete's. California Kid coop also..

BrerHair likes this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yet another beautiful hotrod that I knew nothing about. Here is an excerpt from a HRM article about the car:

Sam was one of the L.A. Roadsters’ original members. He joined the club in 1957 “right out of high school,” he says. “The guys were great, and hot rodding gave me camaraderie and friendships that I really enjoyed.” In those days he owned a basket-case ’32, “but I gave up on that when I bought the 1929 Ford Model A highboy in 1959.”
    He found it sitting in a garage, a dormant project car that had been parked for a dozen years. It took some sorting out, but he turned it into a sharp hot rod, with a 296-inch, 3⁄8×3⁄8 flathead sitting in front of a mahogany firewall fashioned by Carlos Smith, Tex Smith’s father. Sam drove the roadster like this for two years, but as the flathead grew tired, Sam started looking for a more potent mill.
    He found one: a 483-inch Olds mated to a B&M automatic, originally built by Hugh Tucker for his A/Street roadster. Putting that much motor into the car was going to require other changes, so Sam tore the car down to rebuild it from the ground up. Tex, recognizing the car as good story fodder for HRM, got out his camera and documented some of the major steps.
    1929-ford-model-a-in-june-1963-hrm-issue-photo.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, brad2v and 48stude like this.
  13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. swifty

swifty

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Vulcan Car Club '32 Vicky is a favorite of many. A recreation of the car was done by Bill Workman, with Jeb's Metal & Speed Shop doing the work.
    @Chevyjack (quoted below) is Jack Schmid, one of the original members of the Vulcan Car Club:

28.jpg
    Vulcans Remake.jpg
    vulcan 002.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0710sr_04_z+1932_ford_five_window_highboy_coupe+front_left_view.jpg
    Fred Allen's original car "Satan's Deuce" is lost for the ages, but a recreation was done a few years ago . . .

300x3003.jpg
    300x3005.jpg

Pretty sure the beautiful Deuce in that pic ^^^ is not the same car.

[​IMG]

17. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

[​IMG]
    Dick Patterson's Model A Coupe
    [​IMG]
    Bill Carey's Ford Pickup
    [​IMG]
    John Coute's Blown Donovan Powered 32 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]
    Larry Volk's Badass Chrysler Wagon
    [​IMG]
    T Bucket Roadster, Picture taken at the 1968 HotRod Magazine Drags at Riverside International Raceway.

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Jones-Mailliard%20Sidewinder_%20%20Magazine%20clip%20courtesy%20of%20Joel%20Naprstek.jpg
    upload_2017-12-25_13-29-55.png

Holy shit but those sidewinders were crazy machines! This is a sleek, fast, on-the-edge-of-your-seat hotrod. Joe Mailliard had a hand in this one also (along with the Vulcan Club Vicky). Cool.

brad2v likes this.
  19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for chiming in Jack, it's great to see what moves y'alls hotrod needle. This is one beautiful, intimidating hotrod!

Patterson2.jpg
    Patterson6.jpg
    Patterson4.jpg
    patterson2_2.jpg

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Just plain ol' bad ass
    [​IMG]

21. ironrodder

ironrodder

The Original "Orange Crate" , Kookie's Kar, George Montgomery's AA/GS Willy's, Fred Hurst's '40 Willy's. And the one that started it for me, John Reid's B/C '34 Ford coupe "The Mole".(go'n back a way here )

brad2v and BrerHair like this.
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

front-34-3.jpg
    There are two cars that could get confused with each other. The one that @Lorenzini is talking about is the original Nickel Roadster ^^^, the one that the comedian Tim Allen used to own (now owned by Bruce Meyer.) It made the list of "75 Most Significant '32 Fords" from a few years ago.
    It has this motor:
    engine-550x412.jpg

The second one, "Nickel 2", was built by Steve Moal, has a soft top and a Yenko/Weslake motor:
    0712sr_01_z+everts_deuce_roadster+full_driver_view.jpg

Well actually, there is a third Deuce that looks eerily similar . . . William "Chip" Connor's with a Ferrari motor:
    William “Chip” Connor’s ’32 Deuce Coupe.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, Lorenzini and brad2v like this.
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man, I love your taste in hotrods.
    TED1026.jpg
    TED0928.jpg
    TED0926.jpg

Photos by @Tom davison

Ron Funkhouser, joey7508 and brad2v like this.
  24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

car2.jpg
    car1.jpg

original Breece coupe looks like 2007.jpg

012.jpg

Just Gary, Ron Funkhouser and brad2v like this.
  25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Strangely I love the stance of this car... well done!
    Hot rods with the rear wheels above the trunk lid look silly - Bad!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BrerHair likes this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isky's T:
    isky-t-hot-rod-2.jpg
    Isky's T is the one on the far right.

Ed-Isky-Iskendarian-24-t-bucket-roadster.JPG

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old School HAMBers please take note:

Why the hell start another one of these threads? There have been many of these over the years, true.

The problem is that the vast majority of the pics are gone from these old threads! The great old threads are no longer first-rate archives because of this photographic deficiency. They are still good resources for the historical information, but these threads lose most of their punch when most of the pics are merely red X's now.

My goal here is to establish a good resource thread in which the vast majority of the pics will remain permanently. I will ensure this happens by periodically reposting pics of the cars mentioned in this thread, but these reposted pics will not be hosted by a third party internet source; rather the pics will be uploaded to the HAMB from my computer - they will remain on the HAMB servers as long as these servers remain viable (decades, we hope).

I am going to add the statement above to post #1. Hopefully it will encourage some HAMB veterans to post their favorites yet again, for posterity's sake.

bowie likes this.
  28. I was going to say I have to choose 5 from what I have owned?

I am with Rich here, there are "iconic" cars out there, the California Kid for instance. But my favorites by far are cars that I have played cars with. None will ever go down in the Annals of Time, ( well one actually has but my part in the effort was very miniscule) but I liked 'em real well. ;)

brad2v, BrerHair and ROCKER77 like this.
  29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

c10237c6552442e61ad25dc3a25b6695.jpg

376156-1332812453-ea0b6bc2d660c82e9267c8e6cf83fa4d.jpg
    376226-1332830315-954ee9598bcbbdfb450a15224ad77694.jpg

Our esteemed @J.Ukrop wrote a great article about this wicked hotrod in TRJ #74. In it Joey said:
    With its heavily chopped top, weathered paint, magnesium wheels and nitro-burning Hemi, the fabled “15oz. Coupe” is the embodiment of badass hot rod. In this article, we work with original owner Les Hawkins to chronicle the car’s history from the late-’50s until present day. Now owned by automotive photographer Peter Vincent, the coupe is currently being prepped for land speed competition at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Just Gary and anthony myrick like this.
  30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

barris10.jpg
    "The Emperor" won the 1960 AMBR. Cool story about the young Chuck Krikorian from Fresno building most of the car and then shipping it off to George Barris for the final touches (that nose shouts Barris). Chuck was friends with Blackie Gejeian and was brother-in-law to Richard Peters, who built the Ala Kart before shipping it off to George Barris . . .
    So you have these 3 young Fresno friends who go on to win 4 AMBR awards in a span of 6 years!
    Blackie won in '55 for his Shish Kabob '26 T
    Peters won in '58 and '59 for Ala Kart
    Chuck won in '60 for this '29 roadster.
    Holy shit.

I have read that the '57 Cadillac 406 ci mill produced 550 hp . . . is that right? Holy shit.
    The following pics were taken from the Custom Rodder site:
    0103sr14.jpg
    0103sr13.jpg
    0103sr11.jpg
    0103sr12.jpg
    chuck-11.jpg
    The last pic shows Blackie sitting on the tire. He owned this car for the last 30 or so years of his life.