Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody remember this 36 roadster from late 50s to early 60s in Huntsville, AL?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Dec 20, 2017.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Hamtown Al likes this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Thanks for the info and the link. Looks like could be a good compromise in keeping up appearances yet providing good ease of use.

BTW, I looked for a rebuilder's tag on the engine but haven't found one yet. Next time I get it on the lift I'll try to do a more thorough search.

I just finished installing the other rear wheel cylinder and am set to bleed the brakes but my granddaughter isn't here so will have to wait until I can locate another skilled assistant.;):D

The speedometer works. Car has been almost 2 miles!
    Lucille, on the other hand, has been 14 miles. I had to take it for a short ride as a consolation for the VERY short ride I got in the roadster!:eek: Lucille is to the left of my pickup in the earlier picture. It came with the roadster.

In talking with the PO today, we figured out that the earlier suggestion that the car belonged to Sig Parks could be quite accurate. He remembered Ted Randolph helping with the sale from an elderly widow... likely Mr. Parks' wife. He is going to check with his friend that initially put him on the trail of the roadster and went with him to get it. We wait for more details and history on the car. Fun, ain't it?!:)

Thanks to all for the continued interest and help.

Merry Christmas!

Al
    PS I think I found the same or similar slit woven loom with more size options and much cheaper price I think. The link:
    https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1468/Braided-Sleeving/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    catdad49 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

With help from my ace assistant, my granddaughter Savannah Leigh, the brakes are bled once again and the roadster is set for another test run. Maybe later today or tomorrow.

I also figured out I need to get that emergency brake working!! I think all the parts are there but the pull handle under the dash doesn't have much travel... cable may be frozen... just like the rear wheel cylinders!!:eek::D

No further updates on the history yet.

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dang! Who put this lump of coal in my roadster stocking?! These dang brakes!
    My granddaughter and I were all set yesterday to take a test spin in the roadster when I discovered that the brakes were still locking up! Dang! Back into the garage and leave it!
    Not to be too discouraged; we took off in Lucille, the 36 phaeton, for a trip down to the ice cream shop and then by the grocery store to pick up some last minute brownies for a planned Christmas eve party at her Mom's.
    She got a vanilla shake that lasted and lasted but I made pretty quick work of my peppermint bark in a waffle cone.
    I also got a "sample" of vanilla in a spoon and shared it with a dog that was outside with his owners watching them eat ice cream... I have a new best pal!!;) I have repeated this many times over the last several years and greatly expanded my list of dog pals.:) The ice cream shop workers are all in on the canine treats from Mr. Al. I offered to pay them for my little gifts many times but they would have none of it. See, there is a year round Santa Claus spirit for dogs, too.;)
    I encourage others to consider sponsoring similar actions. I always ask the owner first and only give one little sample of vanilla but it is ALWAYS greatly appreciated... judging by the wagging tails!:)

Back to the brakes. I just jacked the car up and found both rear wheels to still be holding pressure and thus keeping the wheels from turning. With both wheel cylinders replaced, the next step up the line is to check the rubber hose that goes from the chassis to the rear end. I'm going to disconnect it on the chassis side to see if that relieve the pressure. If it doesn't, then we know the hose has failed. If it does, we know the master cylinder is the likely culprit; unless the in line pressure thingie has failed... I think I saw one of those under the car but not sure.
    Opportunities! The roadster is becoming a fountain of them.
    Merry Christmas,
    Al

catdad49 likes this.
  5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I disconnected the rubber hose on the chassis side and the rear wheels are still locked so the hose seems to have failed... only allows flow one way! The "opportunity" now is to disconnect the other end of the hose that is in VERY tight quarters! Will try again later.
    The good news is I have what I think is a new, but a few years old, replacement hose that has been laying on a shelf for some time.
    Still working Al

catdad49 likes this.
  6. WTF really

WTF really

Very nice car. Love it. 20171111_164654.jpg My Thickston is different than that one. Mine has pat pen on it. Was there different ones?

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Yep, yours is different from mine.
    IMG_3007.JPG
    Looks like the intake port is possibly larger at both ends of my manifold.
    BTW, I have that stubborn brake hose connection soaking in Kroil.

8. WTF really

WTF really

Kroil is the best stuff ever. Just had my niece in Nashville pick me up some. Maybe someone on here knows if they were a few different ones made.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Quarters were too tight so took whole block fitting off after cutting the rubber hose.
    Look at the picture and you can see how restricted it had become... and this was the end that was still open!
    IMG_3037.JPG
    I've got the new hose attached to the block but have to stop now to attend some family festivities!:)
    I'll be too full when I get back to do anything.:rolleyes:
    Maybe tomorrow but that day will likely be filled with more festivities.:):)
    Got to keep our priorities.;)
    Merry Christmas to all,
    Al
    PS I might get to drive this car yet!

catdad49 likes this.
  10. WTF really

WTF really

Glad you found the restriction. It's a very nice looking car. No worries you will be running the roads before you know it. Watch out for snow next lol

48fordnut and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. jim snow

jim snow

Great find. Following. Merry Christmas to you. Snowman.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Found time this morning after all the festivities of yesterday and earlier today to get the new hose installed and all brake lines tight... I hope! Filled with brake fluid and ready for some further assistance from my ace helper... later today or tomorrow. Got to keep up with the holiday fun.;)
    Hopefully the third time will be the charm!!:D:D

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_3038.JPG
    Finally! The picture I've been trying to put together since we got the cars on the 12th.
    Managed to bleed the brakes and go on a test drive that actually went pretty well.:) That smiley face should be about 4 times larger!
    IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    Now that we've got the basic mechanicals somewhat in order I can move on to other items and get back on chasing the history of both cars. I was beginning to wonder if the roadster had a nickname of Christine!:eek::eek:
    Merry Christmas!!
    Jolly Al

nunattax, brad2v, weps and 6 others like this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

COOL COOL COOL:p:cool:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. mikew

mikew

Great pics Al!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  16. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad was a teenager in California in the 1940s. He said a lot of the 35-36 Ford customs he saw back then had the running boards removed and the fenders bobbed. So when he started building his 36 Ford custom in 1957 that is what he did. I also read once that when Spence Murray started building his iconic 36 Ford roadster, he originally planned on removing the running boards but someone talked him out of it.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The tires look good but are pretty old so a fresh set of shoes are in order. Hopefully the new rear wheels from Wheelsmith will get here before too long.
    Hard to believe that two weeks ago tonight we weren't even home yet from the Charlotte Motor Speedway meet to get them. It was a genuine one long day road trip that was put together in just two days. When you gotta go get 'em; you gotta go get 'em! This same crew went with me a few years back to get this Ford pickup and there was a huge debate among my pals whether we should even bring it home! I bought it in March and sold it in June.
    Some fellas just can't see that diamond in the rough!
    DSC01952.jpg
    DSC01954.jpg
    DSC01956.jpg
    DSC01942.jpg
    Yep, it had a Mercury engine.
    My only prep for sales effort was to clean out all the trash and blow it out with an air hose and then take some pictures. It nearly sold itself!! Profitable, too.:) My boys are just a bit shortsighted!;):D
    We all loved the road trip that day, too. Something about the hunt and a road trip.;)
    Sorry for the diversion from the history hunt on the roadster.
    Spoke with the PO today and he was VERY happy that I'd solved the brake issue on the roadster... he was afraid I'd think he knew there was an issue and hadn't told me.:eek: I knew better just from the way he immediately told me when we met with the cars. The car had been sitting for awhile. He had been starting it periodically but not driving it due to a problem he was having with one of his legs. He only realized there was a problem when he went to load the car on the trailer to bring it to me!:eek:
    Stuff happens with old cars... that is part of the challenge and the charm.
    I must confess that some of the charm was wearing thin on me after I had problems on the first TWO attempts at fixing the rear brakes.:mad:
    All seems to be well now and that is a good thing.:)
    The PO hasn't yet discussed the history with his buddy that led him to the car but I'm sure he will after the holidays.
    Merry Day After Christmas!
    Al

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I started sanding the body and found an array of underlying colors!
    IMG_3050.JPG
    My goal is to make it black all the way through.;)
    Got a feeling my air sanders are going to get a work out... along with me!!:eek:

kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Oh yeah. Bright yellow followed by a more sedate maroon; then the classic black.
    The paint is so brittle in places that when I use air hose to blow off the area, the air gets under the cracks and pops off small bits of paint. Long block air sander is getting it done and hopefully getting it much flatter and smooth.
    Here's an update from this morning: IMG_3051.JPG

Working Al

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. k9racer

k9racer

O K I have been on the hunt for you. I contacted the oldest customiser in Huntsville he has world of wheels winner and his list goes on and on.. Sorry he did not know any names. But he knew the car exhisted. I also went to the last surviving person from a local high performance automotive machine shop. He is in his 90s and still works in a small machine shop every day. He said he built over a thousand V8 Ford flat head engines and could not recall the car. When the weather breaks I will talk to sig parks son.

Hamtown Al and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Great job, k9racer! I was hoping that folks might remember the car because the fenders were modified and the running boards removed. I wonder if they could have been modified before the 1950s? Thanks for the extra effort with the local legends... it has to be a real treat just to talk with those guys.

Thanks again and please keep up the good work.
    I have come down with a dang cold so my progress on the roadster has come to a halt.
    I am feeling a bit better so hope to be at it soon.
    Al

22. k9racer

k9racer

The biggest problem most of the guys around this area from that time are gone or cannot recall. This link was posted on a local car site that is most rice or late model but a few old time hot rod types . I will try some more when the weather breaks.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Thanks, greatly, for your continued efforts to help track down more history.
    Since Sig Parks had a good number of cars, I think it is less likely that he removed the running boards and bobbed the fenders but you never know. I'm going to check with some friends down in Ringgold, GA to see if they remember the car. Also, the PO told me recently that HE installed the Thickstun manifold and dual carbs but it already had the Edmunds heads when he got it in 1996. Story to him was that it was a "built 1948 Mercury engine." He never had a need to go into the engine so he left it alone... just drove it!! My kind of guy!
    Stay warm,
    Al

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I will be attending a party in Huntsville in a couple of weeks. Some of the old timers will be at this event, I'll also check and see what i can uncover for you.My brothers were Hot Rodders in Huntsville in early 60's. Owning a 33 sedan 32 PU 34 Vickey,Plus many 55-57 chevy's. I'll get a pic of 36 and carry to party, see if anyone recognizes it.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Thanks to some help from BA KING, I sent an email to one of the hosts for said upcoming party and included a picture of the roadster. The hope is that he'll forward my email to others to see if anybody remembers it. That might also stimulate a discussion of the old Ford among some folks attending the party.
    You never know where the next lead will come from but I greatly appreciate the help in finding out more of the history and also giving credit where credit is due to those in the past that helped make the old Ford what it is today. Wonder when that 40 dash was installed? Or the fenders bobbed?
    Thanks,
    Al

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Marking it's territory. :p
    Love it, hard to believe that time capsule was kept for so long by the widow. Still as good now as it was then!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_3059.jpg
    I hope to get it on lift after weather clears to see what can be done about that marking!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The glass cabriolet is on left and the phaeton is behind the 36 Fordy but the roadster is in the garage, behind me in this picture.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. oldestman1

oldestman1

On the question of the two different Thickstun 2x2 intakes about three weeks ago, the one sitting on the chair is a post war Thickstun PM-7, and the one on the engine is the pre-war Thickstun 2x2. They are easy to tell apart. The runners on the pre-war make a right angle turn into the block ports and the PM-7 runners are sloped. The pre-war Thickstun was used on all of Vic Edelbrock's lakes records up until the very last one before the war. He used a slingshot on that one mounted on a brand new engine. To the best of my knowledge, he never tried the new engine with a Thickstun. It might have damaged the sales of his slingshot.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  30. WTF really

WTF really

Thanks very much for sharing. I learn something new everyday on here.

Hamtown Al likes this.