Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help identifying duece roadster body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PugetDude, Dec 20, 2017.

1. PugetDude

PugetDude

32 body1.jpg 32body2.jpg 32body3.jpg Longtime GJ member and HAMB lurker....Finally pulled the trigger on my first hot rod. Pulled an unfinished 32 Roadster project out of a local barn. All in pieces, got a set of original deuce rails that had been boxed by the previous owner, complete front axle/suspension, cross members, tubular X-member, Wilwood brakes, rebuilt 8BA flathead and an S-10 T5 transmission.
    I bought a Ford Explorer rear axle, cut and welded the tube, swapped in a short side axle, and put it back together with the triangulated 4-bar setup that was in the pile of parts.

I've been trying to identify the maker of the fiberglass body. It 's pretty rough,(looks like it sat outside at some point in it's life in the wet Washington weather) but is untouched from the way it was shipped- it was formed with the door sills molded in, but the door was filled in with a flat fiberglass panel, assume for stability in shipping.

I need to buy a hood and a rolled rear pan, but would like to ensure they're going to fit. Most of the rear pan suppliers ask the make of the body.
    I'd also like to contact the manufacturer for any technical information they might have- and catalog info, etc. to help me document my build for the trip to the DOT ehen it comes time to title and license it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    EDIT: Noticed Deuce was misspelled in the thread title (immediately after I posted it)...but don't think I can change it. Maybe a Moderator can correct it?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You got rear frame horns, so why a rear rolled pan? Hang a gas tank out there and go traditional. That's what we did. And we also used a T5 with flat head. That tranny makes a flat head come to life!

3. PugetDude

PugetDude

Thought about doing a tank and spreader, but I prefer the look of the bobbed frame and rolled rear pan. Looks cleaner to me. YMMV...

4. PugetDude

PugetDude

Over 450 views and no one has ever seen a 32 body like this??

5. Ck "The Contraptionst" here, might be his?

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm guessing the quality of your photos has something to do with this, you might get better response with some closeup shots. Over the years various fiberglass body mfg's have taken liberties with the deuce in certain areas such as firewalls, dash, floor pans, etc.
    A shot inside the trunk, underside of deck lid, lid latch assembly, etc. may help.
    Put some lighting in these specific areas to better show the little details, that's what has differentiated the different mfg's, some are just kinda close to original, others are very accurate.

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

does it even matter who's it is?
    It's one of many fiberglass bodies. Who cares about the manufacturer?

No_Respect and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

I HAVE A BODY THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS ONE MINE CAME FROM RAVIN IN IDAHO

9. PugetDude

PugetDude

Thanks, never heard of them, I'll see if I can contact them.

10. PugetDude

PugetDude

It doesn't matter... to you. But thanks for the reply.

TagMan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. PugetDude

PugetDude

Will do, thanks.

12. PugetDude

PugetDude

Thanks, will get some better photos. these were cell phone pics from inside the barn. I dragged the frame rails and the suspension components home to focus on a rolling chassis; dropped the body off at a mini-storage (I'm working out of a small 2-car garage).

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were a lot of outfits building 32 Roadster bodies about the time one can figure it was built.
    It probably would be a real good idea to do the reinforcing of the body, or at least all of it you can do, before cutting the filler panels out of the door openings. That should help hold it's shape.
    I like the idea of running the stock style gas tank as to me that is one of the things that says 32 Ford on a 32. That may be because my favorite 32 Roadsters have the stock style tank in place.

14. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

the pictures you have every one will look the same, take pictures of the inner structure that's where most manufacturers will have added their touches.

15. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

maybe try the GIBBONS name for the body!

16. @PugetDude I am not up on modern glass bodies like many on the board but there is something else that may help and also may be hard for you to determine. The filler in the door openings makes me suspect that it is not a heavy body. If it is a race weight body that changes a lot of things in your research.

Anyway if you are in the *Sound you are close enough that maybe you can get one of the Norwest fellas to come by for a burger and take a look with you.

*just guessing by your screen name.

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

That name was Ravon, and I think Jalopykid here on the HAMB had something to do with the company, right? Maybe his family ran it? It was in the northwest, so that might make sense regarding your location.

Edit: here's their website http://www.ravonstreetrods.com/

18. PugetDude

PugetDude

Hi Guys,
    Got in touch with Steve at Ravon; going to send him pics for further investigation. Might have been built by his predecessor... Nice guy, very helpful; will be looking at buying the roll pan and a removable hard top from him if we can verify fit.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

19. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

20. PugetDude

PugetDude

henway.jpg
    Nope, definitely not a Henway body...

dan31 likes this.
  21. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

? Strange that a builder wouldn't want to advertise his company name somewhere on the shell.... There is a company up here in Langley that has been making Deuce roadster bodies for years just thought being somewhat close in proximity there might be a connection. Sorry I don't have a name but they run an ad in our area Craigslist on occasion good luck....this being a trad site you will get more votes for the tank than rolled pan oh and put some spray painted cardboard moon discs over those rims for your next set of pics people around here are sensitive about that kinda stuff lol ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There are more than likely more glass 32 Roadsters on the road compared to steel ones today. What is your guess on how may manufactures there have been. 50 to a 100?

23. PugetDude

PugetDude

Got the body out of ministorage yesterday, brought it home and dropped it on the frame so they can get acquainted while we're in AZ for the winter.
    No identifying marks anywhere.

(The 35 Ford V8 baby moons are in the four white boxes in photo 7518...lol)

Attached Files:

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That may have been Bear, they, started down here in Oregon.
    Haven't heard of them for quite some time though.

25. PugetDude

PugetDude

Didn't even bring those wheels home. Bought it as a pile of parts; didn't want the mag wheels. Ordered a set of WVsmoothies from Jegs. I'll pursue the Langley guy if Ravon doesn't pan out. Thanks.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bear was in Kelowna for a while.

27. A Boner

A Boner

I think JW Rod Garage has the old Bear Fiberglass molds.....don't think it is a Bear Fiberglass body though.

28. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Appears to be an eBay special.

29. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

My 2 cents worth----An out fit called DaVicky out of Kankakee Illinois has been making bodies for many years. They sold some "you hang the doors and deck lid" kits. Same fire wall details and door out line (from the mold) if I recall correctly. Bill

30. A Boner

A Boner

Looks too good to be one of those.