Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Take the assembled front mounts including the bracket bolted to engine off the engine, slide engine into place ,fasten trans bolts to mount lousely, then drop the assembled ft mts into place and rebolt to engine. The whole process would be easier if you removed the radiator support also. Ralphie

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
    hendelec, RaginPin3Appl3 and Budget36 like this.
  3. I may have posted upstream here that I used a Harbor Fright engine leveler with great success on my '59 Ford. I dropped my engine in with the 4-speed installed and also the exhaust manifolds. It was nearly a vertical drop to start out and that is with the radiator support in place. On the Ford that was a critical structural piece that ties the whole front of the car together.

I had to remove the front bumper and grille, I would have made a new custom ram for the HF hoist, except it was an oddball metric tubing size and I'd have to get my steel shop to order it.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Altogether different. Right? o_O

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ll try it with the mounts off and the head bolt or intake bolt method

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Success! Took my dad and i about 4 hours but we finally got everything lined up, still need to tighten the front mounts and stools but i was able to pull the hoist away! I’ll be going back to a points distributor, my hei just won’t fit so i’ll clean up the points distributor i have, check the points and just use that. Maybe even put a beer can around the coil :p

What’cha got in there, kid?
    More than you can handle!

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:cool: :)

9. I knew it would come together. Now get it running and drive it around the block.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I put together a list of final pieces i need, mostly just wires and a couple brackets, oil and gear oil still have to run a fuel line too but most of what i have to do is just plumbing and wiring

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ve found out very quickly why most people don’t bother painting engines, let’s just say mine has character now...

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Past character. And I mean that in a positive way. "A thoroughbred horse does not come into this world running"

13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good job! Now after you have taken a few in and out you will find it much easier.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  14. You can just add the essential wiring and a remote fuel tank (gas can)to get it running then branch out once youknow it is all good.

15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yeah i’m gonna just get an alternator wired because the battery i have doesn’t hold a charge very well, it’ll be easier for me to use points, i understand it better. Have a brand new coil and i replaced the condenser so a new cap and rotor and set the gap and hopefully i’ll be good to go. I’ll probably just run a hose from the fuel pump into a 2 liter bottle until i get around to putting the new tank in.

Noticed that i somehow smashed the Speedo cable fitting on the transmission, so i don’t have a speedo but that’s okay, there are apps on phones now that tell you your speed, i’ll just set it on the dash

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You be safe and think OK? Think about all that you've been thru already and the 57 isn't even doing anything yet.

17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Can someone verify what i need for throttle linkage? I have a rod i got from danchuk but it seems like i need a couple other pieces to make everything work

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A shoe lace and rubber band work well in an emergency. Post a pic of what you got.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This is just a FYI; one of the front motor mount to block bolts, on the right front of the engine (from drivers perspective, and is the upper bolt), passes through to the fuel pump rod bore. IF you have too long of a bolt there, it will jam against the fuel pump rod; that rod rests directly against the camshaft eccentric; you don't want anything to bind up as that rod won't bend, and something will suffer damage, most likely the camshaft. I have amassed a large collection of new and used parts for various SBC engines and Tri-Five Chevrolet cars; I have also been known to donate some of those parts parts to other young, HAMBERS in need. Usually, I only ask for postage. So, if there's anything you need, make a list and post it here. Not saying I'll have exactly what you need, but you also never know. Some of the more valuable parts, such as a dual quad intake manifold/carbs, I'll sell cheap, and only ask roughly half of their actual worth. Some parts I'd rather sell cheap, than have them become part of my estate, and only get tossed out. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Huge thank you to Low Budget who sent me a chrome oil fill tube for the intake i picked out of the junkyard! It’s gonna look great once i get the intake cleaned up and installed [​IMG]

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Hey thanks man, I really appreciate it! There are a couple tri five specific things i need, like i said i have a rod that connects to the carb but it seems like something is missing to make it all work with the gas pedal. Do you know the length the bolt on the top of the mount should be? I have a decent selection of bolts i took off of the motor that won’t be used, some for side mounts, transmission pump etc.

22. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Remove the top bolt, making sure the bottom one is tight so mount won't slip, probe the depth with a small screw driver till it bottoms out against the rod. I'm thinking no longer than 3/4 inch all thread?? Ralphie

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]here’s what i’ve got linkage wise. The gas pedal is on the floor inside the car and it seems to be jammed up against the back of the block

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I do not remember if the 6 cly lever (engine side at firewall) is differant than the 8 cly? (Did anything get bend during the wrestling match? Looks like your lever is against the distributor with the adjuster still on it?) Here's an assembly line sheet to review. I believe your rod should be where the ball stud is just above where you placed your rod? Also that bracket that's bolted where the coil bracket goes is in your way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The 6 cly lever is different. Did you just flip your's? [​IMG]

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't happen to have any throttle linkage, other than what's on my car. All the linkage is available new from Danchuk and other TRI-Five vendors. I'm not sure if the 6 cylinder bellcrank can just be flipped or not, but I think maybe it can be. I have a friend who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars and parts; if you can't find what you need, I can most likely get it from him. As far as the "bolt", the bolt's shank should't be any more than 5/8", and don't go "Arnold" on the bolts! Take the ball-stud off the Quadrajet and use that hole for the linkage; you also need a PCV valve between the carb base and the elbow at the back of the block, a vent sourse to pull fresh air from (valve cover or oil fill tube vented cap). I am Butch/56sedandelivery

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Do i need to find all these pieces to make this work? looks like to install all this i'd have to take the motor out again, was pretty sure it was just a new arm and rod for the v8 i needed.

Attached Files:

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^That's for kickdown linkage the Powerglide equipped models use^^^. I have your V-8 throttle lever, the carburetor rod with clevises, and the clutch rod; found them after digging through my small parts stash I keep in drawers. See your PM's. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. That's very generous of you 56sedandelivery. You are in the Christmas spirit!

lothiandon1940 likes this.