Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What you see today??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffd1988, Apr 22, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-4_8-25-28.png
    Hello,

For the past 11 years, we have been coming to this small, downtown San Clemente, Christmas gala, called “Putting on the Glitz.” It was originally held the Saturday after Thanksgiving, to give the local merchants time to get a jump start versus the big giant shopping malls. Also, it gave the local families something to remember about getting together as a town to celebrate the holidays.

The attendance was primarily for kids and families. This year was the first time it was one week later. It was to give families time to travel during Thanksgiving to be with their extended families and still be back to enjoy this small town extravaganza the following Saturday.

Horse drawn Cinderella carriage rides, hay wagon rides, small holiday trains used to go up and down this two block downtown area. The trains were still in full swing, but the people must have spooked the horse drawn carriages. The lit up carriage was now just for photos. Booths, carolers, hot apple cider, were also in full swing. All of the stores were open, the restaurants did overflowing business and the kids were happy as larks…if larks could be happy.

We have been bringing our now, 12 year old granddaughter since she was one…and she still loves it. The miles of smiles have always been the best. We also met many people that we haven’t seen for years. Even though we are in heavily populated So Cal, there are still places where you can get the small town feel. It definitely is a community event.

Jnaki

Last year, we saw a cool looking 1959 Chevy pickup truck that had all of the goodies and the look for cruising up and down the coast. This year, I was able to take a few more photos for the detailing and yes, it had a big motor. The emblem on the back said: Fuel Injection and it had one, just a modern version and not the old 283 Chevy injection.

It is from one of the local merchants and it is always fun to see a cool looking, low stance, hot rod or truck on display.
    upload_2017-12-4_8-27-44.png
    upload_2017-12-4_8-27-58.png

upload_2017-12-4_8-28-49.png upload_2017-12-4_8-29-5.png

Stogy, MO_JUNK, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  3. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The entire top of my workbench (for the first time in several months)! Today was cleanup day after several projects.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  5. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

But didnt get a shot... A little late to post,see date,but at least I know its there and next year will be bigger. deercam#2 022.JPG

6. I usually see those running in front of my truck on my way to work!

I saw this today- IMG_2230.JPG

7. 4woody

4woody

IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

Went to a yard/estate sale and saw this Power Wagon

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.
  8. Saw this yesterday, but posted on the wrong thread....ooops. Picture 051.jpg Picture 053.jpg Picture 054.jpg

9. saw this! not just a run of the mill model A. built banger with a full synchro 3 speed and.............. IMG_6404.JPG

10. .............one of these.............. IMG_6406.jpg

11. Slow down

Slow down

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have been in So Cal for over 65+ years. Everywhere we go, we try to get into the spirit of the holidays. Since we live near the coastline, most of the harbors have some kind of Christmas Boat Parade or decorations being displayed. The two longest are the San Pedro/LA Harbor and the Newport Harbor Boat Parade. The Newport Harbor parade has been going on for 109 years. This year, like most, it runs 5 days with a long line of decorated boats showing off their stuff for the public.

In the 60’s, our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and 58 Impala were the cruising vehicles of choice, but the decorations were few and far between. In the 70’s, the harbors began to court the public with larger displays to draw people from all over. Huntington Harbour homes (a home development near the coast) lit up their homes on the waterfront for all to see, it is still a yearly event.
    upload_2017-12-22_10-8-5.png upload_2017-12-22_10-9-4.png
    But, in visiting the harbors during the winter holidays over the years, some decorate and some are lonely looking with darkness to one side and only the street lights throughout the harbor, itself. Dana Point has been going on for 43 years. We have been coming to this parade for almost as long. (I have been coming to this harbor before the beach and pristine hidden, surf spots were torn town to make the boat slips and jetties in 1971.)

Being a small boat harbor has its values and this year was no exception. One year, the lights began to sprout all over the harbor. They try to make it festive for everyone in So Cal to visit and enjoy the season. This year, on our annual Christmas dinner outing, we were able to secure some great seating at our fairly new, favorite restaurant, JFAT, better known as Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern. It is a So Cal favorite with other locations, including the one on the America’s Cup Harbor in San Diego.

upload_2017-12-22_10-10-0.png
    Jnaki

We saw some 50s and 60s cruisers on the harbor streets, but our intended destination was our favorite restaurant. The harbor is just down from the cliff top where the monthly car show is held in the Lantern Village section. Most harbors do have decorations, but the big harbors are so spread out, the decorations lose some meaning. This So Cal harbor is small and the lights were spread out all over, on the shops/restaurants, walkways, almost every tree and bush, and there was a great lit up sign across the way from our front row window seats.

(as we were window watching, we saw that there was a colorful display of a young Blue Whale across the way. People were taking photographs with someone standing inside of the whale !)

upload_2017-12-22_10-10-34.png
    The boat parades are over, but since there are still a few days left to the big day, the harbor in the middle of the week was as crowded as the weekends. The weekends will draw out more hot rods and cruisers, so keep an eye out while driving or walking around to enjoy the winter holidays… Wear a ski jacket as it dropped to 45 degrees and will warm up to a whopping 48 degrees this weekend.

ct1932ford and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I grew up in a small town 25 miles southwest of Chicago. In the late '50s it had a population of
    2000. When I walked around the town as a kid it seemed like there was a Model A in a garage on
    every block. Three days ago my wife pointed out an open garage that had this '29. This fellow had
    picked the car up the day before and for what I thought was an incredible price. Cars and deals are
    still out there, if you're in the right place at the right time, with cash.

12-21-2017 040.JPG

12-21-2017 041.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty funky looking shocks under that thing...Ahooooghah
    That looks a very solid project...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    quick85 likes this.
  15. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

clem, Stogy and blowby like this.
  16. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Went back to Miami last week and saw an old friend. Just a small sample of his collection. 20171212_143121 (2).jpg

Deuces, Donuts & Peelouts and Stogy like this.
  17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

18. topher5150

topher5150

Sitting in back room at church doing the family Christmas party thing I look out the window and see a mid to late 60s Ford F-600??? Steakbed truck

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Stogy likes this.
  20. Sorry no pics was in heavy traffic and they went thru the light before I could get my phone out. Not traditional but someones pathetic attempt at being retro. A newer Corolla with satin grey metallic paint, red steel wheels and wide portawalls.

21. Deuces

Deuces

The Fastback looks pretty kool also....;)

22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine built a blue/white 55 Chevy 2 door post car for his dad, a super nice car. If I remember correctly its a 350/4 speed. Saw it for sale on 15th street at Chromeworx in Panama City, Fl yesterday.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

And you'll notice a reflection of a 57 Vette survivor on the Plymouth.

25. HotRod Jones

HotRod Jones
    from Spokane

A couple from my travels--NE Washington and NE Oregon mackeys.jpg 00000003.JPG

Stogy and wojojo like this.
  26. Once I woke up and had my coffee I realized what was wrong with the above picture.
    to flip.jpg.jpg

Stogy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  27. clem

clem

28. atch

atch

Thanks for not taking pix of that.

29. A new straight axle 57 20180102_123054.jpg 20180102_114336.jpg 20180102_141515.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts and Stogy like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That almost looks like a Henry J clip on the front of it...These type of cars are always running heavily modded fronts but whats the story on this one @swade41?​