Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods now a '33 5w chopped ford hemi coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Aug 20, 2016.

1. this should work....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Icufltrn likes this.
  2. trim work.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  3. If you had an extra set of inner fenders you could make blisters for the hood!

4. I want the heads sticking out so you can see them. I think that looks real cool.

5. thanks man....it's getting exciting now.

6. Rich: Are you going to keep the soft top ot fill the top opening? I just removed the tack strip channel from my car. If you need some pieces to fill yours in let me know. I'm not filling the top on my car, going back with wood.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Tim, why would you remove the tack strip channel? That is how you hold the wood/top material in place.

34 rat 035.jpg

8. Lynn: The sheet metal chanel is in bad shape. The recess in the body is ok. No one re-pops this channel that I know of so I'm thinking of using a wood product. I've already replaced the bows. 763.jpg 765.jpg
    I'll post some pics. Tim

9. Elvis100

Elvis100

10. 31aford

31aford
    from az

Where did you get the wood bows? I haven't been able to find any one to return messages woodart and Ford wood are terrible for customer support

11. well, it's been a "breakdown " summer, so nothing done on the '34. Now everything has been fixed or replaced on my 2 hot rods and f-1 truck.......
    so windshield frame repair. T.W from the HAMB sent me some L windshield frame holders. That really helped tremendously. Still more work to do. Feel good to get back on her.
    Quite frankly, I really want a '34, 5w coupe body but don't have the cash now for one. So I'll build the sedan and swap it out when I get a 5w.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Runnin shine likes this.
  12. more frame repairs....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. frame is almost there....now I have some re-sectioning to do on the driver's side A pillar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  14. well, I'm sure I'm "unique"....haha.......I lost interest in the tudor. The tudor was my 3rd body choice for a '33-'34 ford build. I've always wanted a '33-'34 ,3w but my pockets aren't deep enough. I started noticing the '33-'34 ,5w and really liked how they looked chopped . Their price was about 1/2 that of a 3w.....still my pockets were not there yet unless I could sell a turnkey ride.
    Well, an acquaintance of mine ,totaled his vette and I almost got my hands on her, but he signed the registration and sent it to the salvager. I was pissed, so pissed that I said if I can raise the money for a totalled vette I can raise the money for a '33-'34, 5w.........
    3 weeks ago I found one on the HAMB and pulled the trigger on it. She's a '33, 5w......She's coming from Colorado and on the way to my house.
    I found another '34 bare frame and mounted my model A front end and and '34 rear set-up to it. I sprayed the sedan body ,mounted her on the rolling chassis and out the door she went. Need room for my "new girl".........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. well, I plumbed in the fuel regulator,gas lines,filter, and return line.Just have to get a vacuum line hooked up to the regulator and it should be all set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. mkebaird

mkebaird

The first car I ever worked on was a 34 Tudor (roller). I feel your pain seeing that Vette go - that's a cherry compared to what I started with. LOVE your new project, my favorite body style 34 5 window!

17. well, I have the coupe in my garage. I'm removing all the bondo from the roof to get ready for the chop.
    Heat gun and putty knife works well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  18. Pete

Pete

How much you gonna chop it?

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

5”? Or 5.5”?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Just caught up with you. Congrats on getting the coupe!! Love to have one myself. Here'swhere I'm at: Hope to have the engine painted and back in the frame htis week. 001.JPG

21. like to chop her 5, 1/2"

yes sir shine, 5.5 is the target.

thanks Tim,
    your frame looks awesome.You did a lot of work on it and it payed off.

22. Pete

Pete

Get choppin

23. well, I'm still removing bondo......some places the bondo is 1/4''-1/2'' thick.....it looks like a previous owner didn't like the beautiful body lines, so he hide them or streamlined them.I think the indents and bump outs make the cars character. But to each his own.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mkebaird likes this.
  24. OOOHHH! Having big fun now!

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I always wonder why people like to bondo stuff so thick. Are they trying to make it look like it is fibreglass.

26. Yeah Tim, big fun........

interesting concept. it did look like a fiberglass body with all the beauty lines smoothed out.

well, it appears that one of the previous owners didn't know how to use a dolly and hammer but sure was a cracker jack with the body filler. It's all over the whole body and it's straight as hell. Real nice bondo work . Trouble is I have to cut and weld on the body so it all has to go. Plus it sure looks like the filler was put directly on bare metal. I'd rather use lead or at least prime the metal before applying filler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  27. Rich, I don't know how much more you have to remove but I use a propane torch to warm up the mud and it comes off real easy. Should have thought of that sooner, sorry. I did a cowl vent un a friends '32 sedan that had been filled. Took just a few minutes an found a piece of sheet metal neatly tacked on the edges. Real easy repair and a ton of happiness.

28. Tim, that was an option but I'm concerned about the fumes. I already have unflated tissue and spots on my lungs .You know my 60's days (ozone depleting aerosol, and everything else I could put up my nose. I'll stick with the heat gun for the bulk of it then use open flame for the little shit spots,