Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Power of the H.A.M.B

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by USMercUte, Dec 17, 2017.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20171217_085558.jpg 20171217_085548.jpg So it begins...I bought this 28 Pheaton body from "36fred" here on the H.A.M.B. Absolutely as represented. "McTim64", Tim McMaster did the heads and the short block. Absolutely as promised. 'Ybloke" supplied the intake manifold for the 471 blower, a real top bloke! A 5 speed and 9" in a Kiwi Konnection frame with the front cross-member scooted ahead 2" (blower clearance). So much knowledge on this site it boggles my mind. I appreciate the fact that the knowledge is shared. Sure makes building a car easier. Thank you H.A.M.B.....UsMercUte

2. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Looks like the beginnings of a sweet ride. Keep the pics coming.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

your tub build is similar to my roadster build. both using a kiwi connection frame, both using T5 5 speed, both using 9" rear, both blown. mine a flat head yours a Y block. The Y block in my coupe ( my avatar ) is gold eng . with black for accents , yours is black w/ gold accents. I have built a new Y-Block for the coup it will be a 313 c.i. a bored and stroked 292. I could not find a picture of the finished Y block , but here is one before paint. not a good picture. you can see pictures of my roadster project in the thread " Tire sizes "

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

4. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, amazingly alike, my wife says all good minds think alike. Enjoy your build.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Wow! That's cool John, what kind of grill is that?:)

USMercUte and loudbang like this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Looks a whole lot like a Whippet, ~ '29.
    Marcus...

Stogy, USMercUte and loudbang like this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod

USMercUte and loudbang like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks very nice, like the Whippet shell. Door sill fit on the 28-29 Tubs takes some time, hope that goes well for you. Bob

chryslerfan55, USMercUte and loudbang like this.
  9. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that is a 28-29 Whippet shell, also bought off the H.A.M.B. The blower will fit under the hood which is good as I didn't want to have it coming out the top. At 73 years old, not sure how long this project will take but should keep me out of the pool hall for some time. I will try to update pictures from time to time.

10. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

I'm sure it will be ready for the 2019 Deuce Days show in Victoria.:) DeuceDay2019main500.jpg

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats

loudbang likes this.
  12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

They can be a tough crowd, but you're right . Everyone here deserves a pat on the back and a cold beer.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I was trying to figure out that grill after I made my first post. I really like it. I think your rod will be a great ride when you get it finished. I have always like rodded Phaetons/touring cars

loudbang likes this.
  14. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Alaska Jim, I have also always liked Phaetons and this is my first one, excited about the build.

Chevbucket, Deuce Days is on my radar, we are planning on being there, the good lord willing.

15. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I was disassembling the body to send to the blaster and as I turned the main portion of the body over, something fell out that resembled a washer (fell out of the B-pillar area) and then I noticed it didn't have a hole in it. I very carefully cleaned it up and discovered it was an 1895 Quarter dollar. Very excited, I had my wife look up the value and it was approximately $14 current value, mainly based on it's 90% silver value. Not disappointed and not superstitious, but I think the coin is going to have to go back into the car somehow as we have no idea how long it has been there. What do you think? Center of the steering wheel?

16. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a really cool find and it definitely need to go back in the car. My vote would be in the shifter knob.

alanp561, scotty t, czuch and 4 others like this.
  17. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shifter knob, wow, had not thought about that, might be the go. THANKS

alanp561, czuch, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey John, any chance that those cast Merc Man hubcaps or cowl steering kit that I sold you are going to end up on this ride?

duncan and loudbang like this.
  19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contact jimmygrrr on here. He made one for me sometime back and did an excellent job.

20. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Yes, shifter knob for sure. will make a great conversation piece.

loudbang likes this.
  21. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You glue/affix that coin to the top of the king pin. Maybe luck will have it that you find the perfect coin for the other king pin, perhaps a 1928 silver dollar or a silver dollar from your year of birth. Now this is traditional. This is going to be a beautiful ride.

Warren

22. shifter gets my vote

loudbang likes this.
  23. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the shift knob suggestion. I messaged jimmygrrr in regards to building one for me. As the original intent of this thread was to high-lite the parts and info into a project built by a H.A.M.B.er and for the most part supplied by H.A.M.B.ers. fourspd2quad asked the question if the cowl steering components sourced from him were to be used in this project, the answer is an absolute yes as the components are top notch and I was going to high-lite them as I do the install.
    Today I took the 28 Whippit grille shell to West Coast Metal Shaping, Andy Suciu (Sacramento Speed Shop here on the H.A.M.B.) to repair some rust damaged area in the bottom of the shell. I am so busy with the car I don't have the time to do it and I know I will get a quality job from him. In conversation he said that he has had a number of inquires about Whippit grilles for speedster projects. Is there any interest out there in reproduced Whippit grille shells? He now has a pattern.

24. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Very cool v/8 screens on the carbs

Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  25. loudbang and USMercUte like this.
  26. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

k32t, actually the v8 logo is part of the air filter element. that is a new Y- Block Engine I built for my '30 coupe. ( see my avatar ). those air cleaners and elements are from https://www.spotlitekustomaccessories.com/ They have quite a few cool things

27. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

USMercUte, what brand and size are the tires on your Phaeton ? they look just right.

loudbang likes this.
  28. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tire sizes are as follows:
    Front: 550-R-16 Excelsiors
    Rear: 750-R-16 Excelsiors
    They can be bought through Summit Racing with no freight charges.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Thanks for the info, I wish I could get the free freight. It does not apply to Alaska.