Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Chevy 210 Hardtop Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Wow, good eye gotta56forme! This thread just got way more interesting. Hopefully we can find out more about this history.

Doctorterry and Smoothy like this.
  2. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice to find a past photo! i'm with butch...good to hear you've abandoned the straight axle idea

3. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well I spent the majority of my day yesterday trying to scoop up some more info on the car, and trying to trace it backwards through the past owners. The story goes something like this. I actually looked at buying the car a year before I actually ended up with it. It was in red oxide primer and had no engine or trans. The guy who got it before me spent his time getting it running and driving and sprayed it grey. When he got the car it was owned by a widowed woman and she was having her son sell it for her. I had some paperwork with the woman's name, so I looked up her phone number and gave her a call. She said she didn't really know a whole lot about the car, other than her husband got it 2 years before his passing and never worked on it. I then asked for her son's phone number in order to see if he maybe did know more on the car. He was able to tell me that his dad traded a car and some cash for it from a man in either New Baden, IL or Trenton, IL. I have the mans name and am currently trying to contact him, but apparently there's no real way to find a phone number anymore without having to pay for it.

4. Smoothy,

I admire your willingness to track this car's history back to atleast that old photo. Here's hoping more luck is in your future... :cool:

Gotta56forme/Scott

Smoothy likes this.
  5. Smoothy

Smoothy

Dug up even more history on the car this evening, talked to yet another past owner. He was able to give me quite a bit more information than any of the others, and says he got the car from the guy who had it in the 1960s. He will be giving me his information tomorrow along with pictures and videos he has of the car, although it is in red oxide primer at this time. Had an automatic and a 283 small block that dynoed at something close to 425 hp, however he said that in the 60s the car was a 4 speed and the guy used to raise hell on the streets! The car was also out of St. Louis. Hoping to get more photos and information tomorrow, I'll keep it updated.

P.s. the photo was taken in 1974, as long those are Illinois plates and they were valid.

6. Smoothy

Smoothy

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Love that firewall

Smoothy likes this.
  8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Those pictures are so cool.

Smoothy likes this.
  9. WillyB

WillyB

Any new news?

10. Dig the chrome single master cylinder.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hope all is well.Know you're busy with school and money is tight.
    Keep us posted boss!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

Yes I did I went 6.86 @101.15. Thanks for asking

loudbang likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wow that is quite the set of numbers!!!

14. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Did you ever find any sbc fender well headers and are you still wanting some?

15. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

I wish I had info like that on my car.

Thanks for the numbers comment

Doctorterry likes this.
  16. Smoothy

Smoothy

I know it's been long overdue since I've made a post in this thread. However that doesn't mean I haven't been slowly piecing this thing together. I also failed to ever mention that I talked to the original builder of the car in the early 1970s. He built the car when he was in his teens with his father and showed it at many big shows, Including 1974 NSRA Street Machine - Van Nationals at Memphis where it took best 55/56/57. It really was a super sano machine for it's day, earning the name "Clean Machine" for a Street Machine Magazine feature in the January '76 copy. He's where I got all the build pictures from. As for the work done on the car, I'm currently working on the firewall to try and recreate the smoothing and paint. It's taken me awhile but probably because I've redone my work about three times in an attempt to get it perfect. I'm not experienced with bodywork or painting so its taking a long time and not nearly as nice as I would like still, but each time I am getting closer. I also managed to pick up a big block for the car. It's a 454 but has 1969 dated 840 rectangle port iron heads either from a 375hp chevelle or a 435hp 427 vette, an edelbrock torker 2r intake with 750cfm Edelbrock carb, and 274h Comp Cam. Not sure what it will make for power but more can always be added later, so at the moment I'm not too concerned. The original setup was a 9.5-1 compression 350, phase III cam with Sig Erson springs, Crane solid lifters, and screw in studs. All that topped by a Holley 800 riding atop an Edelbrock tarantula intake. with a Borg Warner T-10.(so the magazine article says) It would be really neat to recreate the original setup one day but for now I'm going to continue making due with what I have. The car may not be exactly the way it was when I am done with it, but that's because I want to make it my own as well as take it back to it's former glory. I'll upload some photos later tonight from my phone!

loudbang likes this.
  17. belair

belair

Great stories. Glad you're doing right by the car.

loudbang and Smoothy like this.
  18. Smoothy

Smoothy

20170717_212604.jpg
    After blending in the seam in the firewall I threw down some primer in some spots I re-sanded. The blue is what I was able to color match to the original color that was under all the black paint. Can't decide if the firewall flames are worth trying to remake.
    Screenshot_20170717-212445.png

loudbang likes this.
  19. Smoothy

Smoothy

20160526_193938.jpg 20160526_192609.jpg
    Here are just a few pictures of the engine, plan on using a set of M/T valve covers and crane gold roller rockers.

kidcampbell71, enloe and loudbang like this.
  20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

IF you decide to go with the BBC (the 454), you'll have to move the engine forward to avoid "massaging" the firewall for cylinder head clearance. There are kits that move a BBC 3/4" to 2" forward; irregardless, you'll also need the radiator in front of the radiator support, if it's not already setup that way (stock V-8 position to stock 6-cylinder position). As far as the flames go, you may not even really see much of the flames very much anyway with a BBC in place. I say skip the flames, no matter what way you decide to go. I see you have moved the stock engine mount pedestals from the V-8 position to the stock 6-cylinder position, so I'm guessing you have the Speedway Motors V-8 mount kit for a BBC? What transmission do you plan on using? If you're keeping it a manual trans, moving the engine forward can really mess up the geometry of the Z-bar/linkage, unless you modify the stock linkage. BBC headers can be a real pain, and there are several different vendors; all of them have their +/-'s. Fenderwell headers will take care of virtually any clearance issues with the steering box you'd have with chassis outlet, BBC, headers. Odd how much the vendors want for BBC fenderwell headers VS SBC fenderwell headers (a lot cheaper); makes NO sense to me what-so-ever or to a bunch of guys, including other HAMBERS. Keep posting your build. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Smoothy

Smoothy

Yes, I did move the mounts to the 6 cyl location because I have the speedway mounts. I've seen a few front mounted BBCs so I can't figure it will be too awful for a street car. As for the engine location I am leaving it stock so I can use the bellhousing mounts. So I will have to mock things up using a different BBC block and heads I have to see what the firewall clearance will look like. I'll end up doing it more tastefully than a sledge anyhow. I also bought a trans cross member so I don't twist it off. I'll be using a Munice M20, that may or may not have been converted to a close ratio gear set. For the headers I'm going to go with the Patriot BBC fenderwell headers, so that's one less thing to worry about.
    427 - 1.jpg
    Here is a front mounted BBC that used Hurst mounts in the stock location.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. Smoothy

Smoothy

I received something I've been after since I first got the car yesterday. A fiberglass front clip, all thanks to Butch/56sedandelivery. He's one hell of a guy. Locating one for me, hauling it home, packaging it for shipping, and sending it my way for FREE! Of course I had to pay a little over $300 for shipping, but with a new one costing a thousand without shipping, I came out pretty good and I can't thank Butch enough. The nose is pretty old and is rough around the edges but fiberglass is pretty easy to work with, just itchy. Im going to cover as much work on this thing as I can on here as well as the progress I make with the rest of the car.
    imagepng_0.png

biscaynes, catdad49, enloe and 6 others like this.
  23. belair

belair

Kudos to Butch!

biscaynes, enloe, cktasto and 2 others like this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Was the wooden shipping frame busted up like that when it arrived? Go to the "LET'S SEE SEDAN DELIVERIES-ONLY HAMB MEMBERS PLEASE" thread, post number 62; is that also a 56 Chevrolet fiberglass front-end on the wall? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Good on you Butch

enloe, cktasto and Smoothy like this.
  26. Smoothy

Smoothy

It wasn't nearly busted as bad before I pulled it of the truck as it looked in this picture. The one board that's broke was broke and lost a couple screws where you could see, but It wasn't until it caught on the edge when pulling it out of the truck that it moved over and folded up. My mistake caused by dragging it across the uneven floor.

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  27. cktasto

cktasto

loudbang, gotta56forme and Smoothy like this.
  28. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

This is a fun thread. I've been watching it for a while, glad to see it pop back up

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Smoothy like this.
  29. Smoothy

Smoothy

After a long hiatus from the Hamb I figured I'd come back with a few updates on the 56. The month of May is generally pretty slow for me due to no motorcycle road racing events being scheduled during the entire month. So, I took a step back and realized I had a little bit of time to get some serious work done. Now I have slowly been gathering parts for the past 2.5 years, starting with a small block build that never got finished and coming up with a big block at too good of a deal about a year into owning the car. Tonight I dropped the big block in for the first time since the car was originally taken apart. I opted to go with mounting the engine in the stock location in order to avoid having to change too many other components caused by moving the engine foward (the wrong direction). I used the 55-57 BBC mounts from Speedway that bolt to the front of the block. I also used the standard bell housing mounts. I however had to make a set of my own Lakewood 15800 brackets to make them work with my scatter shield. It all fit together fairly decent. My only issue, now that I'm sitting here thinking about it is that I think I have the wrong front engine mount pedestals. I think my engine is sitting too tall in the front, causing a need for far more valve cover clearance than is necessary on the firewall. I am using the standard/stock pedestals but I have noticed in every BBC swap using front mounts that there is only one rubber biscuit vs two. Correct me if I am wrong, but I've always understood where the carburetor sits should be level at 0 degrees. Looking at the pictures I took it looks kinda far off. I will post pictures following this.

30. Smoothy

Smoothy

20180517_223404.jpg 20180517_224547.jpg

As you can see the engine seems to sit tall in the front, with the second picture showing my driver's side pedestal.

DSC00028.jpg
    427 - 1.jpg

Both of these setups are using a single biscuit pedestal vs my two.