Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Cars of Perry Mason

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Dec 18, 2017.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

'Perry Mason' is filled with some of the most beautiful cars ever made
    [​IMG]
    Perry and co. cruised in some sweet Caddies, Corvettes, Thunderbirds and more.

It's not exactly a provocative statement to say that they just don't make cars like they used to. Today, for the most part, automobiles are angular aerodynamic lumps. It can be difficult to tell the difference between a Hyundai, a Ford, a Nissan or a Renault.

Half a century ago, cars were works of art, sleek steel boats covered with flourishes of chrome, shark-like fins, and slashes of white. If you are a lover of vintage vehicles, then Perry Masonis sheer car-spotting heaven. The 1957–66 mystery series came loaded with style, from the fonts on the door of Perry's office to Paul Drake's sharp suits. But the rides are what truly catch your eye.

Perry himself cruises Southern California in a variety of luxury vehicles. The suspects drive sweet wheels, too. Even the cop cars, buses, cabs and emergency vehicles are gorgeous mid-century modern. There are dozens of cool cars to catch on the series. Here are some of our favorites. Naturally, we begin with Perry's personal fleet…

1. 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Restless Redhead"

In the show's first season, Perry Mason drives in a variety of vehicles, for a rather unique reason. The show had a couple different automotive sponsors — both GM and Ford. Thus, the defense attorney alternated his wheels from episode to episode. The first car we see him steer is this swooping Ford Fairlane.

2. 1957 Buick Special
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece"

In the second episode, Perry pulls up in this white Buick, easy to spot thanks to its swooshing line and three oval details on the front side.

3. 1958 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Substitute Face"

Later in the first season, we finally see what is perhaps Perry's most fondly remembered ride, the black Cadillac convertible. Gotta love those tail fins.

4. 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Twice-Told Twist"

In later years, notably the final season, Perry has traded in for a fresh Lincoln Continental. Thanks to this one outlier episode in full color, we get to see its baby blue shade. Unfortunately, the pretty car gets stripped here!

5. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette C1
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Runaway Corpse"

Apparently, Paul Drake was a rather successful investigator, or at least charged a hefty fee. He too alternates vehicles early on, zipping around in this enviable Vette for one…

6. 1957 Ford Thunderbird
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Sulky Girl"

Drake also hunts his prey in this dark Thunderbird.

7. 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer
    [​IMG]

The first scene we ever see in the series is riddled with great cars. This top-of-the-line Dodge was briefly produced in the late 1950s, and certainly tried to out-fin the competition.

8. 1941 Mercury Eight
    [​IMG]

Not all autos were brand new, of course. That would not have been realistic. Some quite old cars can be seen, even for the setting. Take this 1941 Mercury, for example. The first — and only, at the time — Mercury rolled off the production line, the Eight underwent some restyling in 1941, when it was just a couple years old.

9. 1957 Pontiac Star Chief
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Runaway Corpse"

Pontiac awarded this whopper four stars — right there on the rear trim. That distinctive detail made this stand out.

10. 1953 Austin-Healey 100
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Demure Defendant"

They were all massive American cruisers on the road in Perry Mason. Take this sporty British speedster, for example, which darts behind a truck to elude the heat.

11. 1958 Buick Century
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Half-Wakened Wife"

We adore the details on the front of this beast, from the distinctive grill to those duel "V" ornaments above the headlights.

12. 1958 Pontiac Bonneville
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Curious Bride"

As you can tell by now, it was far more of a challenge to pass the parallel parking portion of your driving test in 1958. This baby ain't exactly a Prius.

13. 1958 Edsel Citation
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Buried Clock"

Yes, even the ultimate lemon made its appearance on the show. This top-of-the-line Edsel was made for just one production year, and undoubtedly popped up here to help push some sales, to no avail. In hindsight, it is a rather beautiful car in its own weird way.

14. 1958 Simca Aronde Océane Cabriolet
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Shattered Dream"

Now here's one you don't see — or hear about — every day. The French Simca was a cute little coupe for the continental crook.

15. 1965 Ford Galaxie 500
    [​IMG]
    "The Case of the Crafty Kidnapper"

Naturally, as the show got older, the cars got newer. The fins faded away in later seasons, but we still got some gorgeous transportation. One of the final cars seen on this show, the Galaxie was showing off its latest design feature here — stacked verticle headlights.

https://www.metv.com/lists/perry-mason-is-filled-with-some-of-the-most-beautiful-cars-ever-made

Also check out the cars of Price is Right

https://www.metv.com/lists/10-super-rare-cars-people-won-on-the-price-is-right-in-the-50s-and-60s

EDIT: looks like some pictures don't show. Click on the link above.

2. COOL.Thanks for posting.Bruce.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

4. I have become a big fan of the '57 Fords over the last few years. HRP

5. 2935ford

2935ford

My first car was a beautiful white/blue trim '57 retractable. Had it for one day......the guy I bought it from stole it back that night........he got my money and the car! :)

6. 327Eric

327Eric

I saw a 57 or 58 Lincoln convertible with supposed Perry Mason ties in a warehouse in Nevada years ago. Nice car, just didnt float my boat back then.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing - Perry Mason was a classy guy that appreciated classy cars

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't just Perry, Paul Drake drove some hot cars!!

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

All the shows from that era had some great cars. Check out Tales of the Hiway patrol.
    The real sad one is W.C.Fields, "Poppy". He own a circus and twards the end goes in search of Road Hogs.
    The cars that get destroyed had me crying.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I try to have "Breakfast with Perry" every weekday, it's on at 9 am here. It's also on again at 11:30 pm and I often watch it while reading an old Hot Rod Mag or Popular Hot Rodding. (the second best way to get sleepy) Since I think I have seen almost all of the episodes I watch mostly for the cars, women and early L.A. scenery. For some strange reason this era holds a real fascination for me.
    There is some stock footage they use frequently that shows a nice '57 Ford 2 dr wagon in front of the courthouse. There is also an episode with a '32 hot rod roadster and another with a full custom of some sort - looks like a Riviera or something similar.
    That '58 Pontiac convertible (photo 12 above) is one of two used in that episode and if I remember correctly they both have the Tri-Power emblems on the front fenders.
    Cool topic...........

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

12. #10 could be anywhere from a 53 to a 56

13. The vette in Denny's post is a '63.

14. Here's a '53 to '55 with aftermarket hardtop. Note baby Bird to the left. Perry Mason Corvette.jpg

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

In one of the episodes, I think "Bigamous Spouse" The Barris Villa Riviera makes an appearance.[​IMG]

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Great post !
    Hoping to catch this one again - In my mind, I had it as a Star Chief 4dr hdtp. with Tri-Power & an air suspended Bonneville coupe. The 4dr had a flat RR tire in a driveway ...

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I knew I remembered a Nomad but couldn't find it, I seem to recall a 57 too.

henryj1951 likes this.
  20. BJR

BJR

I have loved the original Perry Mason series since they were new on my dads B&W TV.
    They sure liked their cigarettes though. In one episode Paul was on a stakeout and hiding behind a bush. To measure how long he had been there, the camera panned to his feet and the pile of butts that were growing the ground. How the times have changed.

stillrunners likes this.
  21. Here's a 1958 Chrysler 300 D Convertible (1 of 191) that appeared in Season 2 (1958), Episode 7 ("The Case of the Married Moonlighters") of the Perry Mason television show:

'58 300D Vert (exterior) in Perry Mason (S02 E07) TV show.jpg
    '58 300D Vert (interior) in Perry Mason (S02 E07) TV show.jpg
    '58 300D Vert (highway HiFi drawer) in Perry Mason (S02 E07) TV show.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And some good pictures of a 2door 55chevy sedan

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A minor point, but it wasn't "Poppy", it was "If I had a Million", made in 1932. The movie was a series of vignettes about people who received a million dollars out of the blue from an anonymous donor. (Sound familiar? It was a revived as a TV series in the fifties called "The Millionaire".) In their part, Fields and Alison Skipworth were two retired vaudevillians living in a retirement home. Fields, who has a longstanding grudge against the aforementioned "Road Hogs" uses his windfall to purchase a bunch of used cars (some of them full classics) and goes out hunting for "Road Hogs" and gets his share. I really hate to have to say it here, but in the last scene, Fields takes the last of the money and buys a shiny new '32 Ford sedan. As he is leaving the dealership in his new car, he has one final encounter with a "Road Hog".

Gary Cooper and a few other major stars of the day (George Raft, Charles Laughton) also had roles in other vignettes in this film.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    chryslerfan55, lippy and czuch like this.
  24. I watch that show everyday when I get home from work, love that show.

stillrunners likes this.
  25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Heres a thought...
    Who grimaces when they slam the door, trunk, hood?

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not as much as when I see all those old photos of people sitting on car hoods and fenders.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

28. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

In my circle of friends, "Perry Mason" is code-speak for "late 50's luxo-sled":D

Mark Hinds, czuch and blowby like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or as Paul Drake would say "hi doll".

chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  30. How about Martin Sheen walking up the fender of the California Kid with boots on and dirt all over the car