Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Pinnacle of Early Ford Engineering...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 18, 2017.

1. there really is something special about the "raw" feel of a straight axle and a solid no nonsense driveline. the insulation that a independent suspension gives between the driver and the road changes the experience. i have a few year old GMC pickup, tight, climate controlled, smooth, quiet and cushy.................i use my 39 gmc more ..........

Model A Vette likes this.
  2. EarlyFordV8

EarlyFordV8
    from Dallas

The 39 has a great front end but no way is it the "pinnacle" of Ford design.
    To me the exterior design is 32 - 33 maybe 34..

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While we're into taste, I think '39 Ford Deluxes are much better looking than '40's. There is a guy in town that has a '40 pickup with '39 Deluxe front sheet metal and some other very subtle body mods. It's to die for.

Oh yeah! IMHO, the pinnacle of early Ford design is a '36 3-window. So Art Deco.

e z i likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call me one of the "choir boys" you be preaching to.
    IMG_20150730_160841763_HDR.jpg
    I know I sent you this shot before, and in the other times I threw it up in here it wasn't meant to be a ball buster. I'm deep in this car life in excess of 4 decades. Never owned a flathead Ford and can honestly declare my excitemnt at the prospect of it. Other than being a standard and a few improvements to the operation of it's wicked stance it likely mirrors your Deluxe. As an award-winning finisher the metal is to die for. Makes a pro want to deliver the ultimate in-your-face statement, it really is that clean, but also as a finisher I'm completely off the hook. That's genuine Ford Motor Company black on it. Yes, it's going to be touched up here and there, already rolled some minor dents out of it, but in today's vernacular that's "OG" paint. It'll stay that way too. I hated these things for so long and thought nobody could possibly find that front end attractive. A couple showing up here in my early HAMB days started to work on me then I saw one at a cruise night, from behind, thought "Deluxe" from dual lights out back, then got to front and that ugly girl "grew up and got sexy" in a way I hadn't noticed. Now all that rambling in the blog has simply amped up my need to finish it, SOON. The interior will be it's focal point and living in the country means I don't have traffic to worry about. She'll be all mine, daily, taking the long way home, cranking the tunes or simply listening to engine burble a bit, taking my pups to the vet, chasing parts for the shop, the whole crew piling in for lunch now n then as well. Dammit! See what ya done? Ya don't even know, do ya? Shit...

5. FityFive

FityFive

I agree, the squarebirds ride nice!

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

You do know your 38 has the same suspension as a 39...... Right? Just making sure you don't forget that 38.......lol....

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What '38?

38.jpg

flatheadpete, Tim, 41 coupe and 3 others like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe our "kids" can play together at a roundup some time...:cool:

9. atomictrent

atomictrent

10. I also hated the way a shubox handles so I made a few changes in my 49 coupe. I used a super low mileage steering box from a 51 parts car...Lowered it by flipping the spindle supports and heated and bent the steering arms down to clear everything. This effectively shortened them, making the steering a lot faster...no more doing 4 turns of the wheel to get around a corner. I replaced the puny stabilizer bar with one from a 70s Trans Am.....1.25" diameter. I used Olds coils, cut down a loop or 2. No more leaning in the corners. I rebuilt the front brakes and used the Maverick rear brakes..felt and worked great using the original 49 master cylinder and pedals. I also dumped the giant ships wheel for a smaller 14" wheel. This alone makes a big difference. And lastly, I could not keep the car in my lane with the old, hard Goodyear Double eagle bias plys. The car was actually dangerous to drive! Switched to a set of radial tires [GASP!] and the car drove similar to my old '64 corvette. It became a joy to drive. Rockbox@demoines1993.jpg

indestructableforce and Tim like this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what "Rocky" says and my experience, it seems like lowering is mandatory for a "shoebox", not only for looks, but for handling as well.

12. I kept my 37 Ford suspension mostly stock , except for a mono -leaf front spring and Pontiac Sunbird steering box . It corners great and will out corner the independent Mustang suspensions . The early moonshiners down South proved that . The 37 rides hard but it's a hot rod , sounds like a hot rod what could be better than that ? Henry build them right !

13. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

“You folks with new stuff may have power everything and AC but I have zero payments on this junk. Life just seems to slow down a little behind the wheel of an older vehicle, its kinda like therapy.“
    Well said anthony myrick!!!....... Mark

14. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man.. I drove my bone stock '56 Buick every day from about 16 years old to about 23 years old, then I drove my mostly stock '54 Chevy daily for another 4 or so... Then I started getting into daily driving more modern cars, and I've been trying to break that habit since. There have been times, including a very snowy winter where I had to daily my '54 again for several months, and I gotta say it was a blast, even if it was a little miserable at times. I've been toying with the idea of driving my '62 f100 daily lately, but leaving for work at 5:00 am in 40 degree weather, I often puss out and go for the heated seats and comfort of my suv.... So, here is a challenge to myself. I'm going to start by splitting the duties. 50% old car/truck, 50% modern. If I pull that off honestly, I'll be stoked. Might even go 60/40. Hold me to it, guys.

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As someone who has daily driven a '39 Deluxe Tudor for the last three years, I can confirm your ramblings. Rain, snow, shine, street and strip...

[​IMG]

snow.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will admit that I have been driving it less than I should recently, she has needed a clutch and a few transmission bits since the last trip to the strip. I still use her for normal commuting.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. fiveof10

fiveof10

I am excited by the prospect of returning a 39 Standard Coupe to the road after a 40 year respite in a barn. Everyday is a new day learning about automobiles of the period, including my own. The flathead is rebuilt, installed and running. Juice brakes have been turned, bleed and reassembled. When the weather turns this spring I will join you on the road.