Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inspiration2.jpg

Looking Forward

an inspired vision...in this photo the Hotrod Jalopy reminded me of a bulldog (oops Boston Terrier) standing proud head forward...

Keep up the forward motion @rwrj

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Stogy you crazy Canuk thats a Boston terrier not a bull dog, ha ha.

Stogy and whtbaron like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:...Whats white and black and sorta looks a little like a bulldog...A Boston Terrier...Thanks Rusty.

I stand corrected. I was actually thinking of that cartoon dog called Spike with his little buddy that thought he was everything but they all looked to menacing I just wanted a standing proud dog and this Terrier fit the bill perfectly.

You know it's pretty cool that the dogs feet positions even match the tire positions on the ole Hotrod Jalopy...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Hahahaaa. I like that. Maybe you were thinking of the Mack trucks bulldog? He stands like that, doesn't he? I do have to figure out some hood straps.

Stogy likes this.
  5. 55chevr

55chevr

The orange color on wheels makes the car pop.
    Joe

6. catdad49

catdad49

When we do/ see/ experience something we Love, we Become that little boy we once were! Drive On, Young Man.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Ravenwood likes this.
  7. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

I love what you're doing here! Keep up the good work!

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I prefer the 19's, but the 16's aren't bad and I could go with those. But I agree with Clark, they look more hot rod than speedster.

Great looking car anyway, and I'm really digging this thread!

9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

No progress today. Mother Nature.
    IMAG1237.jpg

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Stogy likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Totally enjoyable thread, RW! Especially raised my eyebrows over the planking!

I built large old-style model airplanes for years, and reverted to planking any time I could manage to 'wander away' from sheeting. Something about it...
    My '30s era flat tail Sprint car project has been 'set up' a few times, mainly to measure body dimensions. I had envisioned planking for the body, but shied away.
    I recalled an old Sprint car that was framed with spruce stringers over plywood bulkheads, and covered with aircraft fabric! (I could do that again...won awards with a '32 Gee Bee racer when in my teens, stringers/silk/aircraft dope)
    I think you have ALL of us 'thinking'...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget the vintage racing helmet on the seat...theres a Hamb thread on them...never saw it before.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=26569

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Stogy,
    Dang, I didn't even see the helmet. That's an interesting thread. I don't think I can afford one of those.

Mike,
    I seriously considered a skin on frame for this car, but I wanted that bobtailed, open end look, and I think that fuselage style construction needs to be monocoque or it would have been too floppy. If I ever try a boat-tail, I'll be tempted to reconsider. I used to build all kinds of stick and tissue planes when I was a kid. Nothing big or award winning, just the little rubber band powered Guillows and Comet kits, mostly. Got briefly into U-control and early radio control towards the end. I went with the strip planking on this because I had it and was familiar with it.

Doctorterry and Stogy like this.
  14. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Got a little time off from work and rain this afternoon and managed to get a first coat of paint on the hood. Also rigged up a jack-legged system to hold it down. I like the geometry of it, holds the hood securely, but allows the wiggle room that it needs. Got the idea from a thread here called: A/SR Model A Survivor Drag Coupster. I'm also going to include some detail pictures, just in case anybody's interested. Let me know if I'm over-posting here.
    IMAG1241.jpg IMAG1238.jpg This little owl is for my wife. She's crazy about them. I drilled out a brass acorn nut and silver soldered it upside down to the base, the shifter goes up through the rounded part and into the owl
    IMAG1242.jpg
    Made this little doohickey for a choke control.
    IMAG1243.jpg
    The rest is just gas tank stuff. The filler cap came off of a Triumph Spitfire.
    IMAG1245.jpg IMAG1246.jpg IMAG1244.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does “over-posting” mean?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  16. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

yea really ? not on this project .

barrnone50 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The leaf garnished pics are a hoot...

97, charleyw and barrnone50 like this.
  18. ozstuff

ozstuff

Thank you for the detail, this is a fine car.
    Oz

19. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Like the build, the posts, the ingenuity, the frugality, and the pictures! Thanks for sharing!:D

20. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I think you guys pushing the 19s were right. Here it is with them all around. Sorry for the redundant shots, but I always get a better feel for these things with the 3/4 views as well as the profile. Guess I'll have to scrape together enough to buy another pair of tires for the rear. Fronts are already new. I have a plan for those 16" rims and the new tires on them. Back burner stuff. They'll keep.
    IMAG1252.jpg IMAG1253.jpg IMAG1254.jpg

21. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

loving the build , any plans for windshield or just goggles ?

22. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I think one of those sheet metal deflector things, no goggles. I'll just squint.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This is such a cool thing, I love it, way to go! My first banger was a shoe string budget & the current one is not far off. Will sub to this thread!

24. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Well, I took it on the real road yesterday afternoon. Had to bounce the wrong way down the shoulder of a divided 4 lane for a hundred yards or so to get to a little two lane blacktop that's usually pretty deserted after you get a mile or so down. The first trip wasn't perfect. Over about 25, the whole ass end of the car bounced kind of violently. For those of you who know, it felt like driving too fast on a tractor with water in the tires, boing boing boing. Felt like I was in a cartoon. Boinged on back and swapped those two wore out 19" rigs on the back for the 16" rims with the new tires and headed back out this morning, chased by two of my daughters. Much better, I could go as fast as I dared (only about 35 or 40, but it sure was fun) with only what felt like a normal amount of jiggle. For a 90 year old car. It was borderline chilly out, and a heavy fog, but I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Surprised a couple of matrons pulling out of a driveway in an SUV pretty bad, though. Through my drizzly glasses and wind induced tears I got a brief glimpse of amazed expressions as I clattered by. The pitiful brakes and 22 1/2 degrees of slop in the steering wheel kept things from getting boring, especially on the rough patches (I did mention this was a little country road?), but I kept it pretty much in my lane. What joy. My girls took a video that they're going to help me edit and upload to Youtube sometime this afternoon or tonight. I'll post it here, of course. There's also some silent footage that one of my sons took of the first trip. He used some fancy camera with an external microphone that he forgot to turn on. I'll probably include it, anyway.

ratrodrodder, brEad, shark81 and 7 others like this.
  25. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

No silent movie. This is all from the second run with the 16" rears.

26. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

right front wheel locking up ?

27. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Looks right at home in the woods!
    I like it!

28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thats great! I really like it.

29. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

That’s awesome! Congrats!

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does look like a blast RW and now for some fine tuning...that was definately a real good taste of what to expect. Those things are very open...very in the wind...have fun stay safe...really enjoyed that