Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Finished with all the windows in both the Willy’s and the Prefect. Got to install the back glass in prefect. For the record it actually goes in from the inside. Learning curve here. Not a bad week all in all. Now I get to start taking it back out of the Willy’s to prep for interior work and paint. Will be a while but I will remove it on the Willy’s.
    I won’t remove everything for the prefect. I’ll do a lot more roughing it there. I am going to paint etc, but it’s a different level of build. And it’s steel so not as much work required. I HOPE. Lol

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

One other note if you ever wondered about the window channeling and the felt strips and wether they are needed. YES. Makes for a much quieter ride and NO window rattling. Even in a race car .

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Can you buy the felt to go in the channels by the foot somewhere?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep as luck would have it Speedway has it. Part # 91001930. {24.99$ a roll- 8 ft- ( per door)} Matches what I have exactly. Factory used screws. I am probably going to use the the black 3m adhesive and let it squish in the holes. Everything I've ever used the stuff on has to be beaten off so I don't think it will come loose.

mad mikey, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

PA- Indian Rider,
    Hey I want to apologize. You have a nice looking car also- Question - is your hood steel ?
    Thanks for the compliments
    LMD

6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Felt /channel went in easy. Windows roll up and down nice. I’ll pull protective film off when every thing is in for the last time and after paint. Spent the rest of the day fighting with our diesel Dually. Fuel lines that are invisible and leak. It’s officially For Sale as soon as it’s fixed. Going back to gas. Gonna build us a ramp truck to match the gassers. Something from say 55-66. This what my last good tow truck looked like. Was sick the minute I sold it. Guy had money and I went into brain fade.
    Anyway have a good one.

Attached Files:

7. loudbang

loudbang

Wow doing two window sets close together you must be a glutton for punishment :rolleyes:

1947knuck and mad mikey like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Didn’t get a single thing done on either car this week.
    However we did get rid of a diesel Dually head ache and acquired a 90 crew cab ramp truck with tbi 454 and air. It will be cool after a cab cap swap from say a 57 4400 or a 65 C60. Right now it runs and drives. So it will be a while. Sorry I was sick of our other shop truck. It left Mickey on the side of he road one time to many.

Dog_Patch, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok got the other window fitted in the prefect. Also made an adjustment on the front cap. Easier to line up now. Looks mean from above.

Attached Files:

10. loudbang

loudbang

Don't tell me you guys are hiding a THIRD at the same time build of that Chevy II :rolleyes:

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Loudbang I wish !!!!!!! I always wanted to build a copy of Jungles Hercules or his first 66-67 funny car. It took me a minute to figure what I was missing.Thats Bill’s Opel kadet that’s behind the Prefect.
    For a minute I thought Santa had put me back on the nice list and you knew something I didn’t. Gotta get a bigger stocking there is still time.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Whew OK hard to tell what it is hiding back there. :)

13. Lots of eye candy in that shop.;)

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

It has been a good year. God has restored Mickys and Bills health and lot of things have really come together in a good way.
    Got us a new hauler. Gonna have to make it old school but right now it cranks and runs and is dependable. Which is something the diesel Dually was not.
    Been a lot of support on here and I’ve done my best to pay it forward when the opportunity arises. Would really be hard to beat this year.
    Hoping and wishing the best for everyone.

15. loudbang

loudbang

It's been fun following your builds. Best Merry Christmas back at you and the boys. Good to know they are in better shape now. :)

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Been Very Cold. Managed to get the shop cleaned and straightened up. Even the ramp truck fits
    Amazing what you can fit in the shop when everything is where it’s supposd to be.
    Sorry even with central heat been cold enough where that’s about all we’ve gotten done. But it has been a great year already. Looking for a little warmer weather. As in above 19 degrees etc. Dang Global Warming. ;)

Attached Files:

17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finally got rear window in the Prefect. A new learning curve. Seems the prefect /Angelia rear window is installed from the inside out. Also need to remember that they used upholstery nails and just because you grind the head off of them doesn’t mean the nail still can’t cut you.
    Made it up to 33 degrees today. That’s a heat wave here lately.

Attached Files:

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. The Grill or at least the idea of one got started yesterday. I am going to attempt one from scratch. I am going to used every trick I know /and probobly learn how much I don’t know.
    We probobly have every conceivable body hammer/dolly ever made and we have made a few of our own. Shop got an English wheel for Christmas. And I’ve been known to form a wooden buck or two. Even got a shrinker /stretcher to boot. Bead roller to
    I also have a big scrap barrel. Use it often. I’ve never attempted a grill shell - especially a multiple curved surface withought a flat place one it. I like the idea of the two hole Anglia. Yep it’s official I am jumping in way over my head. Got nothing to lose.
    Gonna use aluminum because it’s cheap, light, and I got a lot of it.

Attached Files:

19. loudbang

loudbang

Lots of projects AND new tools, and a big scrap pile to play with doesn't get much better. :)

1947knuck, mad mikey and enloe like this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Took a piece of .040 aluminum today and made the grill shell. I did use some scrap to practice with the English wheel and the shrink /stretcher.
    The baked on paint actually helped me keep track of where I had been with the English wheel/Shrinker stretcher. It didn’t turnout bad. I bead rolled the edge all the way around the outside perimeter. Had to usd my steel dies. I normally used my plastic dies when bead rolling aluminum but the work hardened aluminum didn’t want to bead roll so I went to the steel.
    I haven’t cut out the two holes yet but I am looking at how to double flare the inside edges short of a full ply wood buck. . I also have some expanded aluminum mesh that will serve as the inserts for the grill. I’ll strip the paint off after I cut the holes and polish. Far from finished but I was pleased with today’s progress. Oh yea that little debuting tool that Mick bought. It comes in real handy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

It's looking good.

loudbang likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Be different than most and that is a good thing. :D

24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

:cool:This is the first attempt. It will sit flush with the mesh insert actually inset in the holes. I don’t want it to look like an add on or stick out any further than the stock trim would have.May not use the mesh at all. I am playing around with patterns until it suites me. Getting the paint off will help the vision but it also gives me a reference base so it stays for now.
    Thanks for the compliments. I’ve seen one or two that looked like just a flat plate with a brake in them louvers etc. Knowing me this is subject to change. Think Big scrap barrel :cool:

25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Grill is pretty much finished. Even found some expanded aluminum mesh. ( check your local Lowe’s.) Yep it’s gutter screen material. Lol
    I took it off after the final mock up and stripped the paint off. Will polish it some and will also use polished rivets when it goes on for good. The expanded metal will be sandwiched between the grill surround. Rivets will have washers on the back. I will use the shell to trace /cut the holes.
    I took some close ups of the ends to show the roller beads finished the English wheel work and actually made it really stiff. There is a small opps on one bead. It’ll give it character since it’s my first piece on a English wheel.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Dam fine for your first try. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  27. FlatJan

FlatJan

wow great work!

Mitchell Rish and loudbang like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Next decision. Lights on front or not. Seen them both ways seen them look good both ways. The trick is getting them the right size.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep I am kinda asking for opinions. I don’t know what I’ll do but if you got a good photo and an idea let’s hear em. One thing to remember they may not be functioning Because the Cap has to come off a lot for service at track.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

• 34E11DE6-A168-4CC9-BFC4-7B075C8C1DB9.jpeg Grill is mounted klecoed in place other than buff and polish a little I am pretty happy with it. I need to even up the perimeter edge a little and sand/buff.
    Luck played my way to day. Scored a set of 5 1/2 in diameter head lights. They even work but I need to find led replacement bulbs because there will be no alternator. Figure if there gonna be on it they might as well work.will leave the forward rings polished. Will paint the buckets. I will also brace them from the tree that the pivot for the front cap comes from. Also got to get them turned in the same plane. They are close but they are off a little bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    GlassThamesDoug and swade41 like this.