Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Boy, I'll bet that was Fun car! I Wish I had it. If that is any indication, the Deuce will be just as much Fun.

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  2. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I used 1/2 inch plywood, the holes are from using drywall screws to connect to a bottom piece of plywood on the other side of the floor, that had all the floor beads cut out so I could just clamp the flat areas. Made a sandwich using a Naval grade adhesive just for fiberglass and wood. Now I'm filling all the screw holes from the bottom with resin and a little cut glass fibers. I made the tunnel in four pieces. First I laid up a flat 3' x 3' sheet of fiberglass on a table covered with wax paper. Cut that up into pieces to form the bell housing cover, tape them in place from the lower side and apply 2 layers of glass. Made a mold for the next 3 pieces using 4 1/2 inch PVC pipe, cut in half for the tunnel and used MDF and bondo to make the trans covers, painted with Krylon (any color on sale and hi fill primer first) and several coats of wax before a couple layers of the woven glass. Used resin to attach them all in place now it's time for a few more layers to strength them up. I'll try to post some pics. Good luck!!

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Tudor htop! Sure looks like Maple Grove to me.

4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

RIGHT ON!! My favorite track !! Went there the first time in 1964, even have pics I will scan and post if I can find the darn things.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and bowie like this.
  5. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Love your coupe. You are doing an excellent job on it. More details are always helpful for those that want to do similar projects so, thanks for the progress updates. I have been trying to send you a PM but your settings won't let me. Please send me a PM, I would like to talk to you about Star. Thanks, Dale

loudbang likes this.
  6. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Made some changes in my settings, must get more familiar with the PM stuff.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I know the cost of a metal body puts a build out of the question but would you try to pass a counterfeit $100.00 bill or would you prefer to use a real one?

8. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

And the purpose of your comments are?

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny. I get that this was a jab at the aftermarket car body buyers but your logic has a flaw in it HG. In the US people used to trade in gold and silver. That became too cumbersome to carry around so our treasury printed pieces of paper that where a mere representation of the valuable metals held by the Federal Reserve and Fort Knox. Even a "real" $100 bill is still just a piece of paper/fabric and our coins just tin and copper.

They are only "real" in the sense that we have been learned and programed to accept the script at face value. Maybe it is time we learned to the same with people's builds. Just a thought from a cluttered mind and likely not worth the paper it is written on. Oh, that's right, this isn't actually paper, just a representation of a journal.

chryslerfan55, brEad, zzford and 4 others like this.
  10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

GUESS I'D PASS THE FAKE, IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE! I have just as much pride in my work as any steel banger. I've looked at some other guys projects, and while I truly admire a guy who puts bits and pieces together and calls it original, I wasn't up for that. I had no idea some hot rodders were so damn stuffy!!

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:

Bandit Billy and Splitbudaba like this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

If you like lavender colored cars is your opinion relevant on the H.A.M.B.?

13. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

So just what makes it a "Real One"?

1932 ford bodies are 85 years old and very few out there still have all their original metal.

The majority of the "Real Henry bodies" still out there have had steel replaced and replaced, time and time again, over that many years and much of "Real" is long gone.

As far as I am concerned a "Real Henry body" that has had the bottom 1/3 replaced with Chinese made patch panels, is about as real as fake boobs on a "Real" female body.

I believe most real hotrodders don't for the most part make comments like that.

They mostly come from the people that drive home from the cruise night in their Toyota Prius.

Original, Fiberglass or New steel, they are all hotrods!

Bill

14. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Exactly!!

15. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

AMEN, it really doesn't matter, I will always be proud of my work, that's why I do it !!!

16. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The steel vs glass, original vs repro bs has been beaten to the point it is past dead. It doesn't really matter what you build your hot rod from, it's a hot rod. The skill set may be different but the amount of work isn't. I have built steel and glass cars for customers and have two original steel and one glass cars myself. The people that keep dragging this up need to get a life!

brEad, FlyFisher, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I will change my Avatar back to the 49 Merc if you wish.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Who cares, how about keeping stupid comments to your self. I get tired of seeing Jack asses like you hijack threads on the Hamb to stir the pot. If you don't have something to contribute just move on.

chryslerfan55, jammer, brEad and 8 others like this.
  19. dan31

dan31

You did a great job on this build,love the build style and the rake is dead on. I was able to find your wheel sizes and back tire size but what front tire size and brand do you have on it?.

jammer, Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  20. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

Here's mine I can't afford steel just went for the look IMG_0456.jpg

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Stop apologizing for using 'glass. That's part of the problem.
    I'm building a new 32 myself. Pete and Jake chassis, New Age Motorsports body, Brookville shell and insert, Rootlieb 4 piece 25 Henry hood, Tanks tank, etc. Build with what's available to you. I don't have 40 years to gather parts, I sold a lot of other toys to afford the parts and pieces.
    Loving your build, keep up the great work!
    SPark

chryslerfan55, figure8 and loudbang like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, it's like running from a bear, it just gives them a reason to eat your ass.

Splitbudaba and brEad like this.
  23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If I were using a glass car, and I was seriously considering one, I would like to to have all the features of an original one. Not to just pass it on as a counterfit, thinking no one would notice, but enjoy the eye appealing features for the original look. Fantastic work on this build, enjoy the thread!

24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

New Age Motorsports. Rain gutter, flip out windshield, working cowl vent, roll down back windows, stock style hinges, full rain gutter in the trunk with stock style trunk latch, ribbed floor....hell the front section of the floor pan even has woodgrain on it! Stock or 3" chopped, several styles of firewalls including stock. Only thing missing is the stock roof option, all they offer are filled at this time. Interior panels even look like the steel ones. I spent a lot of time looking and talking to different builders. Drove 1200 miles each way to put my deposit down after touching and looking at a New Age body.
    SPark

Attached Files:

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That would have been my choice...

26. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Keep up your great work! they all take lots of time to make them personal and your is ! I chose the roadster and it's still not done !
    IMG_1087.PNG

27. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Firestone Bias Ply | Deluxe Champion, 5.60 x 15, Coker reproductions.

dan31 and loudbang like this.
  28. Great lookin' 5w, Splitbudaba. It's just "right". Wheels and tires are perfect as are the brakes. Congratulations on the retirement and new home.

29. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

These pics are of my last project. She was an old race car I redid and raced for awhile. Got board with racing and converted to Pro Street. This is another reason I stayed with fiberglass, lots of experience repairing and forming parts.
    She has been in the HAMB in other threads. The front end was an aftermarket racing nose, so I guess it's not original. But that never came up in any shows or cruises I attended, wish the same would be true for my coupe!!!! Hood was aftermarket and homemade scoop too!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  30. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

No apologies, just defense!!!