Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally respect your style, Splitbudaba. One builds what one can. My Deuce roadster is from Brookville, and occasionally some rodder will flinch when I say it is not Henry steel. But, I just don't give a shit. It has been to Kalifornication 3 times and is going again in November. I would do the same thing as you if I wanted a coupe because of the finances. Having owned a Wescott roadster in '80, I was ready to build another one, finished this time around. But, the Wescott was $9,600 and a Brookville was $10,100.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, watch your tongue, young whippersnapper ! My models were AMT types. I couldn't buy an exacto knife, so I chopped the tops with a hack saw. The single cuts must have figured to a 4" chop. And, they were all PLASTIC. I just wasn't very traditional at 11 yrs old.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Splitbudaba, after five years using liquid shit for windshield wipers, I'm mounting an electric unit to the underside of my header supported by wing nuts and quick-disconnect harness for easy removal when the top is off. My header was left long enough when we installed the top so I have a small "visor" extending past the w.w. frame. Should work fine.

4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

EPSON007.JPG Thanks for everyone's support. It is nice to have one's work appreciated. I just love figuring out new ways to make them happen, traditional or not. When I was young, and still had my 57' which I designed, built and painted in my Dad's tiny garage, I could not afford to have stuff done. I learned to do it myself. Later I took my 57' to my first car show, I was in the modified class. In comes a candy apple red 69' pro street Camaro, big tires, and a blower. I figured I was doomed. But the show would only let the owners of the cars vote. I heard a rumor that the guy with the Camaro went out and bought it. Well when the awards were given out, I got first and the Camaro was second. What a feeling from that day on, I do all I can, It's worth it!!!

chryslerfan55, texkbc, bowie and 5 others like this.
  5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Did not have an exacto knife either, stole dad's razor blades or heated mom's knives on the gas stove and melt my way thru. Still have an unbuilt, in the small box, AMT early addition of the 32 Ford 5w coupe. My favorite!!!!
    I found UPAC sells a wiper motor for $30.00 that bolts right to their header panel which I installed awhile ago.

6. papastrk

papastrk

Very nice build. Have enjoyed your build photos. Am hoping there are more you can post. Thanks for posting these.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  7. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

br.jpg oct 17 2.jpg t.jpg Got some work done this weekend, raised the rear 1" to get more clearance for the drivetrain. Applied the 4th coat of glass on the tunnel, nice and strong now. Fabricated the parking brake mount and temp install the handle. Position is great, close to the shifter, yet not in the way. Thinking about building a fiberglass top for the brake bracket and extend it aft to house the ignition switch and all accessory switching? Built in a blister over the rear end center section for more clearance when I hit those big bumps. Now on to a custom trans tunnel with as much space as I can get for the throttle and a comfortable foot position for driving!

8. Great work happening here. Know what you want and can afford and then make it happen. Kudos...

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  9. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Gave my boss my 6 month notice that I am retiring 28 May, 2018. Bought a lot in New Meadows Idaho at Meadowcreek golf course subdivision, complete with a ton of 100 year old Ponderosa pines. June 1, 2018 we break ground on our retirement home. All new including my shop. Can't wait!! Finished the trans tunnel yesterday. Had to make a custom mold for the section around the shifter. Made a flat area that will mount the small Mr. Gasket shifter boot, using aviation # 10 floating nut plates riveted to the fiberglass. Next will be a set of wooden floorboards and throttle.

Attached Files:

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nice glass work, do you make house calls?

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  12. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Man that is going to be a nice car,and congrats on your upcoming retirement.

13. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Not really, but shipping is cheap. I've been thinking about doing some
    hot rod work on the side when I retire.

chryslerfan55, Baron and loudbang like this.
  14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Exciting and scary all in one package!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. Congratulations on the retirement. I'm planning for the same week as you, just waiting for our company to settle its sale and contract talks, before I sign.
    Beautiful area to retire to, do you golf as well as build hot rods?

16. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks and congrats to you, enjoy. I golf a little, guess I'll be doing it more. Got some clubs and my wife is interested too. Can't wait to see what it's like not to work a set schedule.

17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only problem with retirement is you don't get a day off! :D (Credit: to someone here on the HAMB!)

18. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Congrats on retirement. New Meadows is indeed beautiful country!

19. zzford

zzford

You will LOVE retirement. retired about 8 years ago at 62. I wish I had done it 30 years earlier! Best part, is no more Sunday evening blues, thinking the weekend is over.

20. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Got a lot accomplished this weekend, time to clean up the underside and strengthen the trans tunnel area. Frame goes to the welder and hopefully get it back soon enough to have a fun Christmas week putting it all back together. Decided to go with my 1957 265 cu. in. Chevy, which is .040 over (270 cu.in.) with 462 double hump heads (1.94 /1.5) and a Comp Cams Thumpr cam, (Hydraulic flat tappet cam). They must modify the rear cam bearing for oiling, cost a little extra. I have a 600 holley double pumper and aluminum intake. I'm going to run the generator and points distributor. Old school sounds like fun. I might run Flowmaster 50 series mufflers, any input on the sound levels would be greatly appreciated, I watched the videos.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      180.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      189 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      163.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      185.9 KB
      Views:
  21. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Check out classic chambered mufflers. You can hear them on my Buddies build thread here labeled my 32 roadster project, it's a 327 with the mother thumper cam. 2.5" pipes

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  22. Looking good. What brand is the body again?

23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

R&R fiberglass, hand laminated so it's all the same thickness.

24. catdad49

catdad49

I tell people, "every day is like Saturday!"

25. catdad49

catdad49

Love the 57, got any more pics?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Here's a few from back when, and the last two are of her today (I think, found them in Pinterest, tried to confirm but had no luck). Anybody recognizes her let me know. Many, many thanks if you do! Found a few more!
    Note: The pic in the garage is the place where I built it starting in 1972. I had to crawl thru the car to work on the other side when the garage doors were closed, no heat either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  27. catdad49

catdad49

NICE! What were the specs?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. FRANK ONEAL

FRANK ONEAL

29. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I had 50 series Flowmasters on my high school car. I liked the sound a lot. Just a mellow, classic sound. Not too loud, but definitely heard.

On your floors, what thickness plywood did you use? The various smaller holes - were those for cleco's? I ended up with a glass '32 project, and the glass floors are pretty flimsy, then I noticed what you'd done on yours. I'm loving this build thread - if you had time to show how you lay up your glass, that would be really cool! Thanks for sharing your work so far; it looks great!

30. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

All steel down to the bumper brackets, cleaned and sandblasted underside. She had a 331 SBC with the 292 castings, turbo heads, ported and polished by me with 2.05 intakes and 1.64 exhaust valves. Ran a flat tappet solid cam and an 800 Holley DP. I think it was about 11 to 1 motor, I built it in the basement., she ran 11:20s at 123 all day long. Had an old Doug Nash magnesium 5 speed with a Hurst vertical gate shifter and a 3 finger Ram clutch. Can't really say I remember the launches till I got into 3rd gear, it was pretty busy till then. No electronics launched by sound, had a Moroso cable driven tach. Had a 12 bolt nova rear with 4:88 and Summers spool and axles. Set up my own gears after two failed attempts by the local so called pros, no failures after. Ran Hooker adjustable fender well headers, I think they were 1 7/8". Wow haven't thought about all that stuff in a long time, amazing all details are still in my head. Sure wish I still had her!!!