Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What are 5 of your favorite TRADITIONAL hotrods of all time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

No no...I bought the T from fitz! LoL
    It was originally a BBC blown show rod built in Nova Scotia, came to the island and eventually into Fitzees hands. He stretched the body and frame 10" and made it his own. Once I owned it I shortened the wheelbase 4" and made a number of other changes.
    If you squint on a dark and foggy night you might see a slight resemblance to the Proulx car. (Hey...I'm allowed to dream! :D)
    Still have her...but no sliding around on the ice! LoL

Heres a link to the HAMB thread on the Proulx T.
    It's a pretty much unknown, yet incredibly built and detailed Modified, that seems to have just disappeared like so many others from that time period.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-help-with-this-old-pic-what-body-is-this.340344/

BrerHair and brad2v like this.
  2. brad2v

brad2v

Oops, I failed to do that, although all the cars I posted are famous, with the exception of Herman Rost's channeled RPU

BrerHair likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

I am 17, so my "back in the day" knowledge is limited, but I can definitely state my favorites, Note: I couldn't order them, to many aspects of each to weigh against one another.

1) "The Dry Creek Special" owned by a local here in Napa, named after one of the more popular back roads.
    DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00227.JPG DSC00225.JPG
    2) "The Bronx Kid" coupe. Saw it this year at the Goodguys show in Pleasanton, Unfortunately no info on the owner.
    DSC00290.JPG DSC00291.JPG DSC00292.JPG
    3) This particular five window, Another car I saw at the Pleasanton show, the thing is just beautiful
    (sticker in the window reads "Lions Drag Strip '55-'72")
    DSC00306.JPG DSC00311.JPG
    4) The Winged Express AA/FA, driven by "Wild" Willie Borsch, a tough car to beat in looks, speed, and entertainment
    IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0652.JPG
    5) This old lakes roadster with a 32' shell, this thing really does it for me.
    IMG_0471.JPG

alfin32, Squablow, camcrusher and 9 others like this.
  5. Excellent choices, Gavin.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Way too many to boil down to 5, but here are some in no particular order:

Bob Morris Nickel Roadster
    Bob Morris - Nickel Roadster.jpg
    Pete's 39
    Chapouris 39.jpg
    Jack's 46
    Jack's 46.jpg
    Gary's Deuce
    Lorenzini.png
    Bob's 33' Willys
    Rothenberg - 33 Willys.jpeg
    Moreland's 40
    Project 40.png

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops well I remember your T and like it. Thanks for the Proulx link!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wasn't picking on you and Hey! You just made amends. Thanks saves me having to figure it out

brad2v likes this.
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn son. The future of hotrodding is in good hands. You have great taste!

11. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Deans Roadster Pickup with the Junior Conway Candy Persimmon paint was my favorite growing up.(Deans younger brother Jack is my best friend) but the 15OZ Fuel coupe was also one of my favorites. Les Hawkins lived up the street from me. Boy I had it good with great cars in close vicinity.

12. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Hahaha, thank you, what can I say, this stuff is cool
    (Had you asked for favorite drag cars there is no way I could get it down to 5)
    Thanks for starting the thread, a great collection of pictures and fun to read

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BrerHair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Like many others have said,this is a constantly evolving list, but here's my 5 as at today!:D

The Jack Underwood roadster - as traditional as it gets...

. underwoodroadster.jpg

The Bob Anderson Offy RPU, still looking as good as it did when built over 30 years ago. Almost entirely hand fabricated at home by Bob, and as bitchin' a thing as you'll ever see (or hear!)

bob-anderson-roadster-pickup.jpg

There's gotta' be a '36 3-window on my list, and right now the Cole Foster built coupe ticks all the right boxes for profile (even if it did start it's life as a 5-window:eek:)

foster36.jpg

Another Cole built car to flesh out the late model end of the spectrum - I needs a Nomad real bad!:D

fosternomad.jpg

And then I couldn't choose between the Grabowski Kookie Kar and the Ivo T , so tho' it may seem a little self-indulgent, I had to go with my own version, which was built 19 years ago to combine the best attributes of both cars;)

20171208_225002.jpg

Bear:)

14. I remember your T bucket on the cover of "Australian Street Rodding" loved that car as a teen. Will have to get that issue out and have a read again.

Surf City likes this.
  15. There was a car I wanted in my list but couldn't locate it. It's a T bucket STYLE built 28/29 rpu has a crazy rake with a chrome chassis. It's a reddish burgandy color. I just can't remember the name of the builder. Maybe one of you can help.
    Thanks

16. Now you're making me feel real old! That was a huge buzz, first day on the road and a 'foreign' magazine wanted to shoot a feature on it! It was on the cover of NZ Hot Rod magazine and Australian Street Rodding within a month of hitting the road, and then a big feature in Street Rodder a few months later It went on to win Top Hot Rod at the 2000 Nationals and Sweepstakes at the 2000 National Show. We had a lot of fun in that car, and it continued to get a huge amount of exposure, but due to a family tragedy it got parked up and has sat in my shed for way too long. I've often thought about freshening it up, but have leant more towards doing it as more of a Lightning Bug style build, mainly because I figured if I was going to go to the effort of rebuilding it, I wanted to change some shit, but also as I have 'aged', that style appeals to me more.
    Now having seen pictures of it online recently, and seeing comments from other rodders like yourself, I am feeling more inclined to just freshen it up as it is, do a few more skids in it, take my 13 year old daughter for a ride in it (yep, its been off the road that long), then pass it along to someone who will appreciate it like I used to.

Bear:)

BrerHair, AndersF and Hackerbilt like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here is my favorite hot rod. I first saw it in Hot Rod Comics (think that's the title) with my hero Clint Curtis at the wheel. Later I was given this issue of Car Craft and found out it was a real car! I love the nose on this car. The Ala Kart nose has been copied as well as the Clarence Catallo deuce but I've never seen another one like this. For over 50 years now, I've wondered as to the origins of the Emperor's headlight doors. What are they from? Scan-171209-0001.jpg

wicarnut and BrerHair like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Anthony Myrick might be thinking about Eddie Ducazau's car. Had a brain fart and can't find a picture.

19. thanks
    that name led me to Don Lowe's RPU (another killer rpu) and that lead me to Arnold Avila
    this is his RPU, always loved this T style model A and is something that's on my bucket list to build

arnold avila.jpg arnols avila 1.jpg

alfin32, brad2v and BrerHair like this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. And beautiful hotrod! So cool that you still have it. Great choice.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would like to have a pic of each car mentioned, will do my best to keep up
    2016-12-27_00-37-49-640x427.jpg
    PARIS FISH.jpg

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do you say Anthony, is this it? Doubt it, no crazy rake here.
    400px-Ed-ducazau-1929-ford.jpg
    c35b6f81ae68365334256d4801f1689d.jpg

alfin32 likes this.
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    alfin32 and brad2v like this.
  24. it was that Avila rpu I posted
    I lost the name and couldn't find it
    would love to have more pic and info on it
    the one you posted is cool, the belly burner exhaust and nerf bars are something you dont see much on new builds.
    makes for some good ideas

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    wicarnut likes this.
  25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well make that 3 that I didn't know. I knew I had a Ray Brown file, but all it has is his Deuce. This is one beautiful bitchin' hotrod!
    800px-Ray-brown-1927-ford-roadster-lakester8.jpg
    Ray-brown-1927-ford-roadster-lakester.jpg
    Might have lifted these pics from you Jimmy!

wicarnut likes this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

This is the version of the Eddie Ducazau car I was thinking of; not the earlier version. Scan-171211-0001.jpg

27. guy1unico

guy1unico

28. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

My quick list in no particular order image.jpg isky-t-hot-rod-2.jpg kopperhed-original.jpg landscape-1468843870-screen-shot-2016-07-18-at-15442-pm.png zztop_car_2.jpg

29. GeeRam

GeeRam

Spent ages thinking about this...........still not 100% sure of my choice :confused:

Been mentioned many times already on this thread, but, the list has to start with Milners 5w from AG, just because like others have said on here, if it hadn't been for AG and this 32, I wouldn't be here 40+ years later. Here in the UK in the 1970's as teenagers, we'd never even seen a real hot rod as such, so AG has that lasting impression of something largely out of reach. When (if:rolleyes:) my '32 3w is finished, by default, it will replace Milners coupe on the list - for obvious reasons!

As for the other 4.......

The Bill Breece coupe
    [​IMG]

The Cook/Benish/Meyer 3w coupe
    [​IMG]

Tony's Little Miss Chevious Model A coupe (saw and heard it :cool: at Lonestar in 2016)
    [​IMG]

And have to include at least one car from the UK, and that's got to be Dan Boone's lovely roadster which made its debut back in 2003/4.
    [​IMG]