Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Tubs , O/G tubs,all tubs -Thanks Lynn & Rik Hoving for many of the custom tub pics featured

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Lee Williamson, Sep 10, 2017.

1. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HPIM0584.JPG HPIM0568.JPG Here is one we built in the late 70's

2. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And we used and abused it too. purple train.jpg

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4. socal34

socal34

5. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. nice and rare 2 dr A tub, thanks.

7. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Really happy to see your tub coming along and to think it was just a basket case sitting with a bunch of my junk parts

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

15124917163002128136214.jpg

9. Miguel, yes, thanks again for doing the swap of stuff and dough for the tub parts, took 5 yrs and it's a running and driving pretty good looking tub with a 40 delux front end. I have some picts but can't get them out of my camera and into my computer. When my daughter comes over I'll get her to help load them. John W.

Sancho likes this.
  10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Here is a picture of my 33 phantom back in the day
    Can't wait to see them

11. A.J.S.

A.J.S.
    from LA

I remember John's Tub very well, My Packard Phaeton, 1935 IMG_5244.JPG

12. Thanks AJS, Stunning good looks, your car belongs here and now it is, running great since the engine rebuild. Tubs forever! JW

13. 327 powered 39 Ford tub for sale on the web, ready to customize.
    [​IMG]

14. More Ray Vega 38 Ford tub picts no top, top
    [​IMG]

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

As promised, here are a couple pics from "The Trade" that took place at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
    After a couple runs, my pal Bad Bob had the best lap times with his truck and trailer with a 36 roadster on an open trailer; I was the slowest with a 36 convertible sedan... in my box trailer!!:eek:
    Yeah, it is BS but still a good story!:D
    Back to the present. Early yesterday we took off with my convertible sedan in my box trailer following a pal that was pulling his empty trailer. At the same time a couple fellas in GA, down Atlanta way, did the same thing but both open trailers were loaded... one with a 36 roadster and the other with the 36 phaeton I teased about getting several posts above. We met at the Charlotte Motor Speedway which was almost EXACTLY half way between our garages.
    The VA gang also had an added pit crew(more about that later) made up of Shadow, Gene, and George.
    I think the GA boys outclassed us because they had ladies riding with each of the drivers!;)
    Nonetheless we met at the speedway at about the time we'd figured except we were about a half hour late due some brake issues with had with my dang suburban!:eek: Thankfully, the five of us managed to persuade the old suburban to limp along and complete the trip as planned... with some initial needed adjustment to the brake shoes on the passenger rear wheel and a stop every few hours to wet the brake drum down to cool it off!!:rolleyes:
    Of course that little situation amplified every other little noise and wiggle we felt in the truck for the rest of the trip!:eek:
    The hot rod gods were smiling on us and we eventually got home safe and sound... and not really much more than an hour or so later than if the brakes hadn't given us an unexpected "opportunity."
    I was a bit stressed and forgot about getting any pictures but thankfully one of the pit crew thought to grab a few pics of the event.
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    The incoming phaeton and the outgoing convertible sedan.
    The GA guys had the cars unloaded and ready for our inspection and test drive. Both cars were did fine for me as did the convertible sedan for them.
    IMG_0493.jpg
    This is about all of the roadster that got pictured but, hey, this thread is about tubs!:)
    IMG_0494.jpg
    I'm not sure what was going on here but did think it would be cool to show the Charlotte Motor Speedway sign even if the somewhat reluctant suburban of mine was in the shot. Speaking of shot, I must confess it crossed my mind a couple times to shoot the suburban and put it, and me!;), out of our misery when the brakes acted up!:D:D
    Sorry not more pictures to share but a big thanks to Gene for thinking to get these.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  16. Al, Thanks for the 36 Fords update and picts, the hunt is the most fun, then drive around and see how the car fits you, hope your new 36 fits just right. JW

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I just moved the phaeton to my pal's shop for its first showing to the club members at tonight's meeting. After sitting in a cold trailer I got in it and pulled the choke a little and hit the starter and it fired right up. Happy Day!!
    I hope it is always like that. I backed out of my trailer and then drove it to my pal's building a couple miles away with no issues or surprises. It seemed a bit spunky, even in cold weather, so I suspect it has a 4.11 rear end. It drove well but want to check it over more. Of the two, the phaeton has seen the most attention and use over the last several years... that is probably why the wheel cylinder let go on the roadster... not enough use.:(
    Sorry didn't think to get new pics but will soon.
    I'm really disappointed that I can't get the roadster to the meeting but am afraid to risk driving it knowing that at least one wheel cylinder has failed. I'm still tempted but maybe age and the accompanying better judgement has finally kicked in for me... at 68!! I was hoping to remain a teenager, in my mind, forever.;)
    The pal with the building doesn't want me to touch it... not even the rotting rubber on the running boards. He says he hasn't seen a better candidate for a "patina special.":) I'm sure I'll get all kinds of advice from my club members tonight... they have never been bashful!:eek:
    Thanks for the kind words and good wishes.
    Al

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Hit your club with "Where's yours" that usually works. JW

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The meeting tonight was amazing in that the fellas went on and on about this and that about the phaeton that they liked. They loved the patina. They loved the updated steering box and dual exhaust with headers. They loved the fog light. They loved the interior. We had 15 guys and I thought they must have collectively been into their Christmas cheer early! Several guys offered to buy it... very cheaply. Ah, that is more like it!;)
    Some evidence:
    IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    Yep, 'ol "Lucille" was a hit!!
    I knew they would like it but I didn't they would like it so much!
    When we first started the club in 1974, very few hot rods were actually enough together to be driving them very far, if at all! I was a regular and always drove my ragged Model A highboy tudor sedan to every meeting unless I drove my other hot rod, a 33 Chevy tudor sedan. I took a lot of ribbing about the unique appearance of my old model A but I, or even someone else in the club, would often shut the negative observer with the aforementioned line of "Where's yours?" The car wasn't very pretty but it was very reliable and even quicker... which also was quite effective on the road at shutting down negative comments as it pretty well blew everybody off the road over time... and often by a very big margin!;) Those were the days. Now, these are the days and we're doing our best to carry on the fun and the fellowship with hot rods.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  20. My first (Melf Robbins Oilers) tub putting it back together after paint, mid 1980's. 1975 Chrysler Cordoba Maroon. A great factory color at the time, still pretty good!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

This morning.
    Anybody wishing for a Ford under the Christmas tree? Maybe a Buick?
    IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2987.JPG
    Merry Happy!
    Al

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. Al, I owned a 53 Buick Skylark for 12 years in the mid 70-80, Should have kept it!

Hamtown Al and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Amen on the should have kept it!!
    At least you can say you had one for a while. ;) Most of us can't!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. My close friend Bruces' green Ignighters of Santa Barbara tub tribute with the doors open you can really see the great interior. Check the 60's Tbird arm rests, you need them to lean on while you cruise around. photo by Steve
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  25. Bentley tub or two with teanu cover
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Lil'Alb and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Er, John Lee, I'm missing somethin"!!
    But I'm...."patiently waiting.":D:D:D

27. My old 39 tub, 37 Cord and Chopped 40 Ford Pickup

[​IMG]

28. Al, I can't get the picts to load here, send me your email and I'll email them to you I'm [email protected]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Custom 38 ford tub with snow tires, skirts, spotlight, and pipes. Thanks again to Rik Hovings famous photo collection and Custom Car Chronicle articles, just the best!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018