Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs which one would you choose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Dec 8, 2017.

1. hey all I have a line on 2 cars one is a 47 dodge 5 window coupe running driving car flat head six 3 speed clean driver
    The other is a 57 Buick road master hardtop original paint car clean driver needing a bit of work

I know the dodge is cheap to run ( six cylinder parts are cheap and fairly easy to get ) what about brakes etc?

And the road master ? How are they for parts?

Any help or insight would be great

2. Which one do you like the best. The Buick is a closed driveline. The Dodge is also a hard one to easily find parts for. Brakes may be pricey on the Dodge. Only my opinion

loudbang likes this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd take the Buick hands down. They're both old cars...finding parts can be hard, but with the internet and Ebay..easier than ever. I think a '57 Buick is a beautiful car.. I'm also of the opinion that what I work on has to justify dollar wise my time and time investment. Outside of a car with sentimental value...id rather work on something that could be worth 30k over one worth 15k. You can also get out from under it easier if you have to..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Torkwrench, Texas57, jazz1 and 3 others like this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

When you park it and start to walk away, which one would you look back at?
    SPark

Oilguy, loudbang and upspirate like this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd buy the one in the picture.o_O

55styleliner, Stogy, clem and 3 others like this.
  6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it would be good to see pictures...

But generally speaking, I agree with Blank Panther. I would pick the the Roadmaster in a heartbeat over the Dodge and I wouldn't think twice. There is simply no comparison between the two.

verde742, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. All things being equal. Buick. Hands down.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I was leaning towards the road master
    Did not know about the torque tube.

Anything I should be looking for ?
    Any specific areas of rust etc
    What parts besides trim etc. Are made of unobtainanium?

Was looking at a 62 Chrysler and parts are scarce so I steped away
    My 69 lincolin I had was s but of a pain as brake parts and other things were lincolin 67-69 specific and the prices sucked

My 53 Chrysler and my 50 Chevy were Fun cars as most stuff was is cheap and easy to get ( tune up parts brakes water pumps etc.)

Just don’t want to end up with a car with expensive consumables and hard to find stuff ( again besides trim etc)

9. I can find Dodge parts in a LOT of places....online or not. What do they want for the Dodge? Parts are VERY easy to get. Andy Bernbaum, Rare Parts, Hagen's Auto Parts, Northwest Auto Parts, etc....Anyone who says they are tough to get has not looked very hard. The brakes may be a bit tricky to adjust, but are VERY dependable when done correctly. The parts for the brakes are everywhere.

10. hidez57 and 49ratfink like this.
  11. If it were me it would be a easy choice,The Buick would be my pick. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  12. SS327

SS327

Without a doubt BUICK!
    Denny

Donuts & Peelouts and loudbang like this.
  13. The Buick has been sitting a bit needs some fuel system work and somebody rubber part s changed ( flex lines and hoses)

The dodge needs the brakes adjusted ( as the seller stated to me on the phone brakes are all new but the mechanic had no clue on adjustment . I’ve played with these brakes before and I get the minor and major adjustments etc. The interior is a bit old and weathered

I like the dodge as I think it’s a cheaper car to own and run
    The road master is snazzy , Justin don’t want a money pit

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Is this some kind of trick question? Lets see, a big, beautiful blue Buick with all the power and comfort any one could ever want or a flathead six cream colored Nopar. I would have to take the Buick every time. I am not picking on just mopar, I would pick any thing GM over any thing else.

BigDogSS likes this.
  15. Seems to me you have already made up your mind, HRP

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It all depends on what you want to do with them, drive them or just do the local cruise in once a month? The big Buick would probably be more comfortable on longer trips, and those nailheads are great engines. I wouldn't worry too much about the torque tube, you'll probably never notice it unless you have to change transmissions.
    The Dodge would be a good driver, just probably not at Interstate speeds. I figure it would be more comfortable on two lane roads with lower speed limits.
    The Buick is a four door hardtop, the Dodge a coupe, both look to be in nice shape. Buick will probably have a better resale value when you want to get rid of it, but the Dodge might be cheaper to keep a long time. Not as much chrome and stainless to polish!
    I'm thinking I'd go with the Dodge.

17. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

Buick for sure

18. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

19. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

the dodge is a nice coupe ! the buick is just a 4 door. if you have a family I would pick the buick !

20. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

21. Dodge. Slap some dual carbs on and split the manifold......cool cruiser!

Elcohaulic and 31Dodger like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

23. I'm in the minority here but I'd rather have the Dodge any day. The buick is a nice car but totally not my style. Those cars are big and heavy...hard on tires, brakes and gas. I know, I owned a big ol 56 Olds 98 convertible when I was 17 and I'm still not rich enough to keep one of those giant 50s GM cars going. And the torque tube Buicks are prone to transmission leaks. The compression on a 57 Roadmasher has got to be over 10 to one...will take good gas while the mopar will run on cat piss. The dodge is a far better looking car IMHO also. With some lowering and wheels and tires, it could look great and nothing more than a split manifold on the flathead 6 will get you into the "cool" club. Lose some emblems, spray a little primer over the welded up holes and rock that plaid interior with the juke-box dash. Don't forget, the Dodge also has that cool 3rd stop light on the decklid.
    I had a buddy and fellow club member that had a black 57 roadsmasher 4 door hardtop when his 3 boys were small and it was perfect for his family....'till the day we were 150 miles from home and the right front control arm broke. Jeeze, no wonder it broke! The frickin car weighed 5000 lbs and the family and lugage weighed another 1000 or so. Anyway we trailered it home and I ended up fixing it for him....no big Buicks for me, thank you.
    Conversly, I owned a 41 Pontiac coupe with the flathead 6/3 speed and after I swapped out the 3.90 ratio third member for a 3.23 gearset and installed a GM alternator, I drove that car all over the western US. Once did a tune up on the motor in the motel parking lot in Wendover Utah....replaced a dry U joint in Springfield, Illinois ...both easy jobs on the road. Nah, gimmee a simple, lighter car.

little red 50 likes this.
  24. Jibs

Jibs

I was on the Buick side until I saw the pictures. Dodge all the way now, who would take a 4 door over a coupe? Sorry not a 4 door guy here.

zeph4057k and little red 50 like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Mopars have been very good to me. The Buick was a nightmare, every day was a repair day. I had 2 buddies with Buicks that had the same experience I had.

The Dodge, hands down. Gene

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I would lean towards the Buick if you ever intend on resale.

27. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND