Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you attach your DEUCE fire wall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Groovy

Groovy

I have a United Pacific repo fire wall and would like to know how others have attached theirs, UP or other brands. Do you use the two holes at the top of the cowl lip and the holes at the bottom into the frame or do you weld around the perimeter recess (Plug weld)?

2. Fordors

Fordors

Use the holes you mentioned, but also, be aware that the Vintique ( I think that is the only one currently produced) cowl to firewall seal will need some massaging for things to fit together. The large tapered area will need to be ground flat and in general terms you will need to flatten it out to about the thickness of the thin part at the left in the sketch. You can use a disc sander or maybe better yet a mini belt sander, Harbor Freight sells one. scan0137.jpg

golferforpar and town sedan like this.
  3. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Put it in like Henry did it !

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. clem

clem

Two holes at top of cowl are to bolt in bracket for holding stainless hood strip.
    Use all the other holes and either bolt or rivet in.
    I bolted mine in, just in case I need to get it out one day.

Clay Belt likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Not sure what rivets Clem is talking about. There are those two small bolts at the top that mount the hood hinge, and then the six? bolts that hold the firewall to the frame and the two bolts holding the front edge of the body to the frame. No other bolts or rivets between the body and the firewall.

6. clem

clem

The original poster was suggesting to weld it in, I was suggesting that rivets would be a better alternative. I should have clarified that I was referring to the firewall to body contact areas only, (6 bolts).
    My first suggestion was, as noted above, to bolt it in.

This is how my coupe is done.
    Looking at my more original fordor , there appears to be no bolt holes for firewall to body contact, except for the hinge bracket.
    So maybe my coupe is done incorrectly.
    Maybe it is time for some photos.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I used the same way as alchemy. As Henry did it. The firewall is mounted to the chassis first, then the seal tucked in the groove. Then the body is dropped over and the last thing is the Hood bracket bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lurker mick likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done dozens of deuces and have always attached the firewall the factory way with no extra rivets, bolts or welding. By the time you get it bolted to the body thru the hood hinge on top and bottom legs to the frame and get the body pulled down with the cowl bolts it'll be tight and won't move.

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. What Krylon32 said. Same here.

bp1971 likes this.
  10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Stock, don’t ever weld it

Henry had this figured out, don’t reinvent the wheel!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

X38, thommoina33 and rfraze like this.
  12. clem

clem

Well, I’ve been on this site long enough to respect the comments of the last 6 posters.

I obviously did my coupe incorrectly, and the fordor is done correctly, ( by someone else ).
    Thanks for the correction, and apologies to anyone that may have taken notice of my first post.

Thanks gentlemen.
    Clemens.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  13. Groovy

Groovy

I will take the advise and install it as Henry did. Thanks all for your feedback.