Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest anyone in new england drive their classics in winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by morecowbell, Dec 6, 2017.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

Hi all,
    Not sure where to post this and I've searched the forum to try to find a New England group but no avail.

I picked up a great running 61 Comet that I've been enjoying and plan to drive throughout the winter. Not as a daily but just to go and have some fun on decent winter days. Got me to thinking if there is any group of people in the Boston area who run their classics in the winter and if there are any events to keep our sanity in this cold dreary time. I looked for car clubs online and on the HAMB but no luck.

Please move this thread if I've posted in the wrong section. There used to be a New England section on the site but I can't find it.

Thank you.
    - jason

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.
  2. RODIST

RODIST

Hi, Cool Comet!!

The Early Ford Club of New England has monthly meetings during winter.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I love driving my cars on select winter days but it has to be when theres no road salt present. In Kentucky they put down four inches of salt for a two inch snow fall.

Bruce Fischer and rjones35 like this.
  4. When I first put it back on the Road in NY I was going to Drive
    in the Winter, but since I have been back in NY in the early days they used
    mostly Sand mixed with a little Salt, Now its all Salt & a Little Sand, so it will
    Sit, mabey I will Move Back to AZ. and drive it all the Time.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

put my '67 Vette up in storage last Sunday.

6. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

this when t TBIH1034.JPG he weather is good

7. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Not very many "Classic" car owners on here.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

We have had ours on New Years Eve and day weather permitting. Salt is used as paving material at the slightest hint of precip. So it stays in the barn. Cold not an issue, state sponsored corrosion is.

9. Gary, here too. Bruce.

10. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Great looking Comet! Our Shop is on Rte. 9 in Natick. Stop by some time.
    Landlord put a stop to our Pizza/Beer Nights, but we still have have gatherings.
    2 reasons why I don’t drive anything of value in the Winter around Massachusetts: Potholes and Transients who don’t know how to drive in snow!
    Big College and Medical hub which brings idiots to our roads.
    BTW, I have a lot of NOS ‘62 parts which may come in handy, from my Fairlane.

11. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i did when i lived there back in the 60s but at that time it was not a classic just my daly driver......65 mustang....59 ford...

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The only people who drive old cars in New England winters are the ones who can't afford anything else and don't particularly care if it falls away into rusty pieces as they drive down the road :D:D:D

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

When I had my T Bucket I drove it in the snow quite often. My Shoebox is a hand full of excitement so it doesn't venture out much during the winter.

14. adam401

adam401

If I have something running in the winter I drive it if I feel like it. I don't care if my cars rot out. Seriously. I'm over worrying about it.

15. pitman

pitman

Drove the coupe (avatar) in one mild flurry once. Roads felt as though they were greased. A week later tried to free up the shifter, it needed a salt-free oiling! Every fastener reqd. the same.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

I drive mine all winter as long as the salt isn't too bad. Some great events listed on our Maynard Area Auto Club page. Also if anyone has a New England event they want to post on the page let me know!

17. indyjps

indyjps

Midwest here. I guess if you had the underside painted well.

I had a 60's OT, 3 years of 3 season driving - no rust, 1 winter of driving and the doors, fenders went to hell. No more for me.

slowmotion likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

They're going to last longer than I am at this point! I still TRY to take care of them - DSCN3395.JPG they ARE in a nice garage for winter. ( But washing and waxing is verboten in mein garage.Big fan of patina)

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Have to be outa your head, or damn desperate to drive a classic in these parts in the winter. I've experienced brand new (70s) cars going completely to shit inside of 4yrs of year round DD driving. Sometimes less.
    A little spin when the roads are dry or frozen is a different story.

20. VTjunk

VTjunk

Wouldn't even think about it. No way. If you've got an old car that somehow beat the odds and made it all these years, why screw it up now.

I just did major rust repair on an 8 year old OT vehicle I drive in the winter. But it was purchased to be sacrificed in winter driving, keeps my other trucks and cars from being destroyed. Guys that live in southern or western states that don't use salt just don't know rust like we do.

Hell, I cringe at the pics of all the cool rods covered in wet, splashed on salt out at Bonneville.

21. famdoc3

famdoc3

See my avatar. Built it to be my daily. Had a gallon of rustoleom in just the that little coupe body. Tons of paint under the fenders plus bed liner sprayed in. 95,000 daily driven miles, then blown apart again for rust repair. Even the high grade stainless underneath was pitted. You can not out smart Mother Nature, all of the steel in your car was stolen from her as iron oxide and she will come get it back! Trust me if you like it keep it warm and dry in the winter, you cannot otherwise stop the rust. MIKE