Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Hey Pumpman....I don't know where he found it, but you're right !! 52 years old and you can't even see through the floor !!!!

2. You can have a very good axle by WAC custom axles ( I think is the name). He can make it any width any way ya want it..... safe also!!!!! If he aint on the HAMB he is on FB

mad mikey likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I met him at Meltdown this year, I have his card.

I'm building a car that's a bit different than what he normally makes axles for.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Are you Nuts?! ......... Sorry, couldn’t help myself. This should be Good, I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

squirrel likes this.
  5. I love this comment, put a smile on my face and brought back this memory. Doing this was a special request. Yep, all the way.
    Smokin 51.JPG
    This AMX is on leaf springs and street legal. Without a full cage we were limited to 10.0's so we had to throttle stop it,"a lot". Sure was a fun car. 4 link is fine but not absolutly necessary.
    The Wizzard
    68 amx.jpg

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Didn't the Chevelle have 4 link in 66?

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This thread has been a pleasant read so far. Please continue!

I am astonished at how nice the body on your subject car is. Living in the desert must be like living on another planet. I assume you just use molasses for a sweetener there instead of removing rust with it?o_O:)

ceege and squirrel like this.
  8. I can't add anything to this thread other than to say;
    "Jim, you embody the HAMB spirit and are an inspiration to all us hacks that are trying to up our game.":cool:

9. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, but I think he was referring to the modern race type 4 link, which is what I'm thinking of putting in the car. It really doesn't belong...

Gary Reynolds and Blues4U like this.
  10. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

11. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

did't put my glasses on if you could find a Art Carr push button shifter that would be cool

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ahhhhh, OK.

13. brad2v

brad2v

Curious how you'll get this done, the OE vent window frames are damn near as heavy as the door shell. Maybe build a 'glas frame?

14. squirrel

squirrel

The big piece of potmetal at the front of the vent assembly weighs just under 4 lbs, the entire door (with hinges, glass, uphostery, etc) weighs 75 lbs. I think I can knock quite a bit of weight off, even if I leave the pot metal part there. It looks like I might be able to trim the bottom off, it will be a bit flimsier but weigh a pound less...and yeah, I could make a replacement from fiberglass or something.

brad2v and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

TLB style sliders.

[​IMG]

Don't need wing windows either!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. squirrel

squirrel

can't stick my elbow out the window that way...

kiwijeff, Atwater Mike, dan31 and 6 others like this.
  17. What if you cut in an elbow slot ? :)

( stalker marker placed here)

18. noboD

noboD

Jim, it seems to me the only one confused about what we want is you. If we have to come hang out at your garage and vote on how you build this car we need an address.

ratrodrodder, ANGRYJOE, t-rod and 7 others like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

mad mikey, winduptoy, bobwop and 2 others like this.
  20. If you are interested in leaf spring suspension try contacting Calvert Racing Suspensions in Lancaster. They make a variety of leaves and can build or recommend the way to go for chassis and rear suspension.The chassis becomes the key and will have to be built for this. I think Charlie Allen's Dart, Al Vanderwoude's Flying Dutchman into 1967 didn't use coil overs, stayed with leaf springs.These were both nitro cars, the dutchman running a blown early hemi.
    The classic MoPar of 66 was leaves, a 426 , Cuda or Dart, 727 TF and winning.These were tough, kick ass cars.
    It will be difficult and fairly expensive, but that was the hot setup.Your alternative would be use modern parts.Modern stuff will work, but MODERN???
    Check out the springs on this car! It was a rectangular tube car.Like a giant Model A chassis. I THINK the part number for this is : MP 3,800-pound Super Stock leaf springs (PN 454/455), they used stock parts then.
    [​IMG]
    Pictures on the web of this suspension are hard to come by. Old magazines give you clues, but rear suspension wasn't very sexy then either.
    This CAN WORK, but you need input from guys more knowledgeable than I.
    HOW ABOUT IT OLD RACERS??

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  21. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

8:71 blower now allowed in B Gas? Doesn't that make your Nova a contender? Did they do that just to allow Finnegan to run in B Gas?

kiwijeff, mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  22. Here is an interesting read on leaf springs. KEEP reading, the first part is stock type MoPars and other, read the high HP stuff at the end.An interesting article.
    Were you planning on building the 727 or buying one> If you can, buying one will save much grief.They aren't complex and if built right, they can be bulletproof..
    If the car was street or strip, (one or the other ), this would be way simpler.
    But food for thought: //www.google.com/search?q=racing+727+torqueflite+transmission&oq=racing+727+torqueflite+transmission&aqs=chrome..69i57.23761j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Using the pushbutton would be very cool.

23. Some more Cuda's
    [​IMG]
    The ex Sox & Martin
    [​IMG]

24. Interesting Landy picture! Look at that sag in the body! The acid dipped cars started to sag, the hard starts caused the body to droop after a while! These cars were RUN!
    You can see it in the Mr Norm pic that Squirrel posted earlier!

[​IMG]

25. squirrel

squirrel

One of my concerns with the rear suspension, is keeping weight down. Having leaf springs requires a bit of a frame quite a ways behind the rear wheels. A ladder bar or 4 link mostly eliminates the need for that frame...it only needs a structure just behind and above the axle, to mount coil springs/shocks.

Looking at a few pictures of other cars in 1966-67 magazines, it looks like ladder bars and home made coil overs were starting to become common place on some of the faster cars that had the floor cut out, or had lift off bodies.

Poh, mad mikey and Gary Reynolds like this.
  26. With an 8 second car just how extensive is your roll cage going to have to be, especially in light of the fact that you want to make it a two-seater?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    mad mikey and Gary Reynolds like this.
  27. Man, those rules are hard to discern.
    Looks like the extended front fenders and fiberglass doors put you in with the big money guys in unlimited?

mad mikey and Gary Reynolds like this.
  28. Wonder if some of that rear sag was due to them loading up the trunk with weight when doing crowd pleasers. I saw Landy do that at Woodburn way back when.

29. squirrel

squirrel

It doesn't take much for the cage to be legal to 8.50 seconds. Then things get more complicated. I am only trying for higher 8s.

That is my guess.

But Unlimited is not only the big money guys...it's also the class for the misfits. Which suits me just fine. This car is a bit off the wall, compared to modern race cars.

brad2v, winduptoy and bobwop like this.