Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What are 5 of your favorite TRADITIONAL hotrods of all time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I really can't narrow it down to particular cars...but favorite looks perhaps.
    Some cars that just have the "look" ,in no particular order, for me would be...

Cotton Werksmann's Ardun T roadster...or its close sister, Bob Knaacks black and flamed version.
    The Proulx T modified. Perhaps one of the most beautiful "unknowns" to rip down Muroc dry lake.
    Moonkist. A little outside the HAMB era but it nailed the FAD T look while remaining outside the clown car styling of many of the type.
    The Rolling Bones builds.
    Norm's "Lightnin' Bug" T. Not really into the Kookie Kar....

BrerHair likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This is rough to narrow down. Here's my list:

The Chrisman Coupe:
    [​IMG]
    I even have love for the Barris version. This early picture of it in a more raw state is my favorite though.

The Woodward Roadster.
    [​IMG]

Paul Gommi's 32 Phaeton.
    [​IMG]

This MerCruiser Powered 1927 Model T by Rob & Butch Johnson (which I believe has been sold on)
    [​IMG]

The Shifter's Purple People Eater.
    [​IMG]

And also:
    The Fred Carrillo Modified Roadster.
    [​IMG]

The Art Gerrick Car.
    [​IMG]

Brian Thomas's McCullough Supercharged Flathead Packard Straight-Eight Roadster.
    [​IMG]

3. AndersF

AndersF

"In 1949 the ’36 Ford had seen a lot of road use and needed a full restoration. Vern hired Lyle Barteles from San Francisco to do the lead work on the car. Vern painted the car in black and had Hall of Oakland redo the padded top. In 1952 Vern took his 1936 Ford to Bonneville to race it. The team struggled a lot but eventually Verne managed to get a speed of 119.52 on his tag."

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/...gard-customs/max-ferris-westergard-1936-ford/

[​IMG]

alfin32, camcrusher and BrerHair like this.
  4. My automotive obsession began at age 8 with the movie American Graffiti, so....
    Milner's deuce,
    Falfa's 55 Chevy,
    Steve's (Richie Cunningham, Ron Howard) 58 Chevy,
    Pharoah's Merc &
    California Kids(Sheen) 33-34 ford.
    There are a lot of cars on this site that come close to or rival these cars, but these five are the reason
    I love all things automotive, HAMB friendly or not.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    BrerHair likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I knew this would happen, this is what I mean by "man, do I have a lot to learn". I'm sure I saw his '15 T in TRJ #62 back then (fairly certain I had never seen it before), but it simply did not etch my granite brain. Just went back and learned all about this radically cool hotrod. Nice choice, even if its proportions bother me just a tad.

6. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

I don't do pictures, but my favorites are: Dean Lowe's pickup, the McMullen 32, ol' Dad's (Baskerville's) 32 and the roadster pickup drag car, Frank Oddo's 40 coupe

BrerHair likes this.
  7. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I have to include Jeff Norwell's coupe in the top 5. Even though it's a newer build, it will go down in history as one of the nicest, best built coupes ever. Sort of a new historical icon.

joey7508, BrerHair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK this is another thing I love about asking HAMBer's opinions on this topic . . . it forces you to question your own limits and tastes. I admit that the first thing that pops into my head here is Rat Rod, but then I realize that these proportions are somewhat reminiscent of the Werksman T . . . I mean, come on, it's in the ballpark. And I love the reaching deep for a straight 8. And I do love what it says in the HRM article that you linked: "He had the guts to strap on his own vision goggles and build something new" . . . still, not sure I am ready to embrace this one. But I love all of your other choices, which causes me to hesitate again on this one. Clearly you have good taste in hot rods.

J Willy Richins likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, Cottons' car gets a uuuge pass from me as far as my ingrained tastes.
    I've never been a flathead kind of guy but Arduns.......that's a different kettle of fish.
    And big tires on the front......I'm pretty selective on that too.
    I really have tired of the phrase "think outside the box" but Cotton epitomized it!

BrerHair likes this.
  10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lincoln Futura, Beatnik Bandit, SWC Willys, SoCal coupe, Swamp Rat 1 . . . not sure I can agree that the Futura is a hotrod. It is a gorgeous concept car, but not a hotrod. Like your other choices.

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're a sucker for T's, eh Bill?
    OK here's 2 of these 3 . . . but coming up empty on the Proulx T

Moonkist
    f4c416af137a1a2deaaf8fd2a08d3a26--t-bucket-old-cars.jpg

Lightnin' Bug - Kustomrama says it is the same car as Kookie o_O
    Edit: removed pic, had posted Ivo's T instead of Lightnin' Bug

Attached Files:

• HR19.jpg
      HR19.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. brad2v

brad2v

ROST.jpg GAMMEL.png CRATE.png OHIO GEORGE.png P&J.png 5 eh? So, I figured I'd pick a coupe, a roadster, a sedan, a pickup and a race car. Ok, how 'bout a roadster pickup, 3 coupes (plus Ohio George's) and a sedan race car? Oops, that's 6...

13. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

eastwood and barakats 32 tudor and Petes Limefire 32 roadster TRJ61_Eastwood-Barakat.jpg are a tie for 1st in my book...

14. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

th62H6JJIJ.jpg 3rd the 57 chevy from Hollywood Knights 4th California Kid, and 5th Paris Fishs Vette.

15. putz

putz
    from wisc.

40 ford,40 ford,40 ford,40 ford,40 ford coupe !!!!!!!!!!

47ragtop, lothiandon1940 and BrerHair like this.
  16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The Proulx T Mod.
    Proulx T mod.jpg
    proulx876tgu.jpg

Thats Tommy Ivo's T you have posted. Close Cousin to the bug though as you would expect, all things considered! LoL
    "Lightnin' Bug" was Norm's original version of T bucket. He turned it into the Kookie Kar later to give it even more visual presence on a B&W TV screen...but I've always liked the less radical styling of his first effort.

This is Franco's recreation of it.

FRANCO.jpg

I guess I do fall solidly into the T camp! Hahaha
    They were my first jaw dropping introduction to Hot Rods, via some old HOT ROD mags I found in grade 5 or 6. Ruined me for life! :D
    I realize now that my actual love is for all minimalistic Hot Rods...not just T's.
    I'm not into CD players or soft seats.
    A lot of people don't get it and thats fine.
    Those that do know exactly what I'm talking about! ;)

alfin32, wicarnut, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's a new day.

Harry Luzader

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willy Borsch

[​IMG]

Khougaz
    Restored

[​IMG]

McGee

[​IMG]

Restored

[​IMG]

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great. Probably everybody on this site can say the same thing, that it started when we were young kids. For me, it was hotrods driving down the street in Miami in 1959-63. The neighborhood high-schoolers and 20-somethings that owned these hotrods were ten years or more older than me, they were the guys Lucas was showcasing. These cars that you mention represent what was on the streets of America when I was growing up, so I can share your love for them. Recently saw the Americarna episode where Ray Evernham bought and restored the '58 Chevy from the movie, so maybe I'll see the car around here soon. ;)

19. Of course Miner's coupe & the CA Kid...
    But there are two street cars that still make me giddy when I think of them:

Guy Rouchonett's "U'd lose" '34:
    ruchonnet 1934-ford-coupe.jpg

Gary Kollofski's '55 Chevy:
    kollofski 01.jpg

20. brad2v

brad2v

Oh, 5 a DAY lol. That changes things. I could probably pick 5 a day for a year. I had forgotten Kolofski's '55, that was a wicked streeter in it's day.

BrerHair and Hackerbilt like this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't have any pics of this car, and having trouble finding any. Found this:
    _RDH720_Dr%20John_Street%20Rodder_Aug,%201976_edt.jpg

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cory is bad.
    [​IMG]

23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

How in the world could I ever narrow it down to 5?!?!?!?

I think 2 that have to get top billing are the American Graffiti coupe and The California Kid. To me, those 2 kind of brought hot rods to the masses. I never liked the chopped radiator shell of the AG coupe but loved the chopped top. I every scene that car just jumps when he touches the gas. Followed the Kid since it was all black, before the flames. It's always been a beautiful car (probably looked it's worse with the fake side pipes in the movie). That car has it. It's even nicer in person than on the screen.

The Two Lane Blacktop/American Graffiti 55 Chevy rates very high on my list. I just sold my 55 2 door sedan to help finance my 32 5 window build. See a connection?

4th on the list are whatever is living in my shop at the time.

5th is a 500 way tie. I love so many styles, years, colors......I want the all!

SPark

BrerHair likes this.
  24. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The McMullin Roadster
    [​IMG]

Harolds Chapman's CHRA built '32 5-Window
    [​IMG]

Hollywood Hot Rods 1936 Roadster

[​IMG]

25. bct

bct

images.jpg photo2-vi.jpg garricklakesmod_lede.jpg 5d9f0e12bdb3a1815dfcb127a14d7c30--southern-california-lakes.jpg
    At #5 even tho it never ran as far as I know. I love it's mojo
    images-1.jpg

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I loved your T that you sold to @fitzee, guess Tony is still sliding around the icy roads on it :cool:

I am coming up empty trying to learn anything about the Proulx T, please fill us in, beautiful hotrod!

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the pics are still in Rikster's old thread, of course he is the authority today on this beautiful car:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-jack-calori-photo-album.754098/
    Again, we are left to debate custom vs. hotrod - please let's not debate it in this thread - but I believe this car is solidly in the custom camp. Either way, it is an icon and it is gorgeous.

[​IMG]

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two votes already for this original hotrod. You know, try as you might to know everything out there, it is just not possible. Thanks to all for posting some of your favorite hotrods, a lot of us still have a lot to learn! Beautiful car.

Let me add that it won't kill you to tell us the name of the car you are posting :)