Register now to get rid of these ads!

ANY DECENT PHOTO SHARING ? STORAGE SITES

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Gary Reynolds, Dec 6, 2017.

1. I've downloaded my stuff from the thieves at Photobucket and am now looking for a replacement.
    I used Fotki, but it seems to work on a hit or miss basis now.
    Trying Flickr, but it's RIDICULOUS, full of ads and millenia; "tell a story" shit!
    Google + is just ridiculous.
    And on and on and on.
    I DO NOT want to tell a story, use fucking social , post pictures of my lunch, I DO NOT use or give a shit about "mobile devices" or any of the juvenile millennial "sharing" crap ! I do not want to "click and drag", I want a bulk uploader that actually works.I simply want to use it for STORAGE and third party hosting.I DO NOT CARE about social media, writing reports to my friends of what I "like" at any given moment! Tired of wasting time and effort!
    ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR WHAT I NEED?
    Thanks !
    Gary

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary, if it is for uploading pics to the HAMB, I would suggest simply saving pics to a file on your computer, and then you upload them to the HAMB from there. No 3rd party hosting site required. upload_2017-12-6_17-42-28.png

If file space is an issue, buy an external hard drive, they come in really handy for computer backup files anyway and today you can get 4 or 6 or more terabytes (1,000 gig) for $150-200

Just click this and you access files on your computer, straight to the HAMB:

upload_2017-12-6_17-42-28.png

Stogy likes this.
  4. It isn't just for the Hamb.It's mostly for storage.I tried posting here from my PC, it doesn't work Just says security error I have posted THOUSANDS of files(images ) here.I know how to purchase an external drive, I have several different types.I have well over 15,000 images to store. I want MULTIPLE Back ups as ALL methods are really pretty unreliable.Any question like this brings responses as if I do not know how to use the web and my PC.Thanks, I know people mean well, but I DO know. I don't want all that shit because it doesn't interest me, I have no use for it and it's a huge waste of time! NOT because I don't understand technology, I don't CARE about it! Phones and internet idiocy are not one of my hobbies!LOL!
    THANK YOU, sincerely, for all responses.

5. Ok, but it looks like Pinterest to me. FAR from what I want.I'm not interested in posting or viewing "viral" images.I guess I'll look at it though THanks!

6. 2935ford

2935ford

I prefer to keep my pics on my systems........Hmmmmm, I don't trust the others? :)

I know what you mean though having tons of pics.

Good luck!

7. I trust nothing! Most of these are images I have take over my lifetime, being digital they can vanish in an instant.
    The web is really just one huge greedy scam, constantly "updating", but really just making stuff obsolete to take your money! Most of this tech is bullshit. Just wait until the new administration ditches Net Neutrality.Then your ISP can charge you to look at web pages. Pay for the HAMB every time you take a look
    Not Ryan, but the ISP!!!! They can also decide what you can see and what you can't.Gotta make more money!
    I know people that buy new phones CONSTANTLY, spend thousands every year.I don't get it.It's a phone kids, with a ting computer built in.You need a computer 24 hours a day, every day? It's not my money, but I find it baffling. Wonder why.
    LOL
    Thanks for the ideas guys
    .Please reply if you have anything to add!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    catdad49 likes this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK I'll try once more. I have posted many pics here for the past few years only from my pc, so it does work. I am not alone.

If you get an error message (I usually do) . . . looks like this:
    upload_2017-12-6_18-24-39.png

I have to click "Allow" about 4 times and then it disappears and I am good to go.

9. Any online image hosting site runs the risk of having the exact same thing happen as what happened with Photobucket. It starts costing more to run than they are making in advertising so they have to charging.

ClayMart and Stogy like this.
  10. Flickr is a pain but it works,I also have a Fotki site and when I need a photo to post I download to my computer.HRP

11. I'm glad it works for you, doesn't work for me, can't you understand that?
    Thanks for your suggestion!
    I used this feature many times in the past, since "the CRASH " it simply fails for me. That is not the message I get.
    I have POSTED THOUSANDS OF IMAGES, not my first day here.
    I also get a near constant 503 error message.The mods made lots of suggestions, all of them irrelevant to my problem.503 is a SERVER error.The HAMB server. NOTHING at all in any way has changed on my PC.
    I appreciate ALL the suggestions very much and I thank all.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Take a look at smugmug.com

13. Thanks EVERYONE for these suggestions.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Gary Reynolds I am with Bre here with mass storage at home grab 2 drives if you want one offsite for security...move all onto one copy to the other. Take 2nd drive to a trusted relative or safe storage as it matters to you that much and trust me I feel your passion.

I like Bre save and post a ton of pics and everything else too...NO issues...only probs are web related.

My 1 terabyte drive is passworded if someone steals it good luck...I've actually not ever had theft issues. Ya I could lose it but it can happen online too.

There is no safer place than right beside you...and Gary...if I was a thief and I stepped one foot into your place...Hi Carrumba I is gonna be sorry.

Mass storage online for free I don't trust it...My biggest problem is keeping track of what I've posted and where it is but thats not what we're talking about anyway.

Mass storage is relatively inexpensive these days.

Hope you find a way that works for you.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I was away and missed your responses to Bre...you have your own way of posting perhaps another method as there are more ways than one. Perhaps the titling or format of the file is causing issues...I very seldom get any conflict.

That is my 50 cents worth...Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and the others.

16. Thanks Sogy.
    The 503 server error indicate a maxed out ( busy ) servers at the site, not my PC. 99 time out of a hundred it's the site server. In this case the HAMB, and ONLY on the Hamb.
    Just google this, it has nothing to do with anything I'm doing or not doing.
    There have been NO CHANGES at all to my two PC's that are online.Both do the same thing.The Hamb server crashed a while ago, don't know why, perhaps unrelated....perhaps not.
    I have been posting here for ten years, I KNOW HOW IT IS SUPPOSED to work! What can I say? It either works for me or it doesn't.
    I have made over 20,000 posts here, have the most "likes" (getting near 60,000 ) of anyone on the HAMB, 90% of images I have posted.
    As for storage and backup, I have images backed on three humongous flash drives, two PC's, one external disc and now three image sites.Even discs and CD's.Yes Virginia, I take this seriously .I don't take cellphone pictures, I use 35mm digital SLR. I have three cameras, images on paper and negatives and slides going back to 1965. I have taken thousands of digital images. For example at the March Meet I would take 1000 images or so.
    NO I am not the greatest photographer, but I am a serious one and not a beginner. I have used PC's (Windows) since the 90's as a professional manager and office IT guy, not an great expert, but not a novice.
    I can't have ENOUGH backup for my digital pictures.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Gary
    You have amassed a serious collection that warrants being archived in perpituity as I think all photos should especially if they convey a relevant subject such as culture or history. Perhaps this may help in gaining permanent storage maybe at a local museum or historical society. All this is done digitally but perhaps they would accept other mediums as well...something to think about...Lastly you are pretty passionate about your work and I am pretty sure I have seen it many times so this place is a great archive as well. We all will be part of a legacy here...and thats kinda cool in itself. This is just another awkward hurdle to hop and that will happen...;)

18. Well....thanks. Nobody really cares though.sad.I love history in general.When things are gone, they are gone forever.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like you need to start your own website. If it's worth saving, maybe it's time to spend the money and set up your own site with it's own back up.